Sign in to follow this  
*NOB*Perica

Tank damage modelling in OA?

The ACE Mod has a fantastic solution for modeling the realistic armor and penetration values. Unfortunately we would have to wait a bit before the ACE is made compatible with OA; but practically speaking, it would happen way quicker than BIS would take to revise their system...

Peace,

DreDay

0.50 Cal sniper rifle can't hurt even APCs such as BRDM in ArmA 2.

:16_6_8:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee

You need a little bit more than a few rounds for any effect on this. Try a HMG. Did you really think you can detroy a BRDM with a .50 sniper rifle?

The .50 is designed for taking out LIGHT vehicles. Such as putting a bullet through the engine block of a vehicle. (Read Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. READ not play. Or watch Black Hawk Down)

The damage system really needs an improvement.

It doesn't matter where a tank is hit, the tracks take damage every time for example.

Or a T72 could take out the gun of my M1 with his MG???

Could I load only parts of the ACE mod? E.g. the damage system?

I don't use ACE, but SLX.

Arg! There are modern T72 with modern features, as modern as western counterparts.

The Ruskies running tanks from 70's-80's is now urban legend, plz.....

Stop talking like T72 in general is crap, it ain't, latest versions in Russian army are modern tanks.

Most sources about T72 in west are years old and out of date.

Now, the Takistani T72 is not the russian one and really open to debate, I doubt it would match latest russian versions.

OTOH, when you see some of the Takistani army gear, guns with TI optics, Metis launchers... , it looks like they are backed up by russian resellers having access to advanced toys :) Which means one could imagine (afterall, it's not RL, it's the ArmaVerse) they may have some of the modern russian tanks in their arsenal, even though most of it would be made of old stuff ....

I've read that the russians only exportet "monkey versions" of the T-72 with weaker armor, fire control system and supplied only with inferior ammunition / training ammunition.

The Takistani T-72 could be one of the M versions which have indeed no chance against a modern Abrams. But a real russian T-72 should have the capability to destroy an Abrams.

I've read that the russians only exportet "monkey versions" of the T-72 with weaker armor, fire control system and supplied only with inferior ammunition / training ammunition.

The Takistani T-72 could be one of the M versions which have indeed no chance against a modern Abrams. But a real russian T-72 should have the capability to destroy an Abrams.

not fully true, the old warsaw pact partners got better ones unlike the "export" models.

Has anyone managed to throw a track from driving over boulders or anything?

Has anyone managed to throw a track from driving over boulders or anything?

That functionality is not currently supported by the ArmA engine; which is probably a good thing, given the current state of the tank driver AI.

Peace,

DreDay

not fully true, the old warsaw pact partners got better ones unlike the "export" models.

Yes but that is 20 years ago. Both the Abrams and the T72 must have changed a lot since then.

And even back then there was a big difference between Russian made tanks and Ukrainian.

That functionality is not currently supported by the ArmA engine; which is probably a good thing, given the current state of the tank driver AI.

Peace,

DreDay

Yeah it might be one of those things you play with for a while to see what it's like and then disable. :) However, it would be neat as a difficulty setting for *player controlled* vehicles, mostly for multiplayer.

T-72 represented in OA is one of the oldest models, probably a mixture out of T-72 and T-72A.

And yes, Takistan would use an export variant like T-72M with even less armor.

Even if the M1A1 is already from the 1980's, it was continously upgraded and you can sure US Army does not use the basic M1A1 model anymore. M1A1 in OA isn't accurate modeled but it can be considered to represent the M1A1 SA model with 3rd generation DU armor and latest generation FLIR system.

The tanks are relly vulnarable to inf AT weapons.. My tusk got hit by 2 RPGs(RPG7), one doing nearly no damage, the over damaging the tracks a bit. But the last RPG7 was fired directly into the FRONT armour of the Tusk! And it exploded immediately... because of hitpoint system, right?

An RPG may damage the tracks, but the front armour of a tank is too much for it. Even an uparmoured hummer would take only some damage.

This reminds me of the arguments in Steel Beasts over the M1.

Both sides were wrong there. Both sides got parts wrong here. For the same reasons.

M1A1 in OA isn't accurate modeled but it can be considered to represent the M1A1 SA model with 3rd generation DU armor and latest generation FLIR system.

Case in point, it's the M1A2 that you see in OA. You also see the TUSK, which is far more modern. Stuff like cage armor, reactive armor etc.

Case in point, it's the M1A2 that you see in OA. You also see the TUSK, which is far more modern. Stuff like cage armor, reactive armor etc.

Yes, but the eye-candy on the M1A2 TUSK is just that; hardly functional. :(

In fact you have both - the M1A1 and the M1A2 with TUSK in OA.

The TUSK may not to be compared to the internal upgrades of the Abrams series.

Point is it doesn't matter which faction got the better tank, as long as it is based on the BIS hit point system you can always say: Abrams needs x number of shells and T-72 needs y number of shells to be destroyed. You don't have to think you just have to pull the trigger and hope the enemy will miss.

Edited by King Homer

Please BIS, implement cutoff values so that tank armor actually behaves like tank armor! I should not be able to make an MBT explode with small arms fire, I don't care how many rounds it takes - this should be impossible.

Please BIS, implement cutoff values so that tank armor actually behaves like tank armor! I should not be able to make an MBT explode with small arms fire, I don't care how many rounds it takes - this should be impossible.

They did, its not [any more].

Look up minimalHit

Then why isn't it actually implemented (see taking out LAV-25 with makarov bullets on page 2)??

Then why isn't it actually implemented (see taking out LAV-25 with makarov bullets on page 2)??

You tested it yourself? That comment on page two sounds like sarcasm? :rolleyes: