Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Campaigns

We don't want to back to OFP, we want continuation of Eagle Wing.

I would not pay for a DLC campaign, i've already paid for OA, i was waiting for it in

@NoRailgunner

I disagree with you. Imagine a Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, GTA... without Campaign????

No, please, i'm sorry but if you create a game, you do it fully, with a campaign or i don't call this a game but a tool for new developpers.

It would be too easy to tell that the community will do the job.

Regards ;)

Unfortunately it's the truth. The last fantastic and moreover long campaign was Resistance. Everything which followed later on was quite short and disappointing. I liked the ArmA II campaign apart from the warfare missions. OA seems nice too, but haven't had the time to finish it yet.:)

here is your continuation to EW: Ed winter is stranded on the island. he dies along with his comrades slowly of radiation poisoning, and hunger :p

I have not had a chance to play OA yet, but who was really expecting an epic like ofp? the scenario is just not set up to really have that same level of tension. its the full might of the US army and coalition troops descending on little takistan. its really hard to root for the americans when they are literally steam rolling the opfor with very little in the way of a solid threat.

there are a couple things that made OFP so effective. there was more variation to the missions. it wasn't all just the "missions" or ops of the conflict (the typical go here and kill everything, then go here and blow dis sheet up). it had the more mundane, and some non-combat stuff in it. it was not all pure fighting. it gave a chance to get to know the guys around you some more adding to the atmosphere.

second, was the americans were not in an advantageous position. for much of the game they were running away (after montiag). it adds dramatic tension.

a campaign from the taki perspective could be done very well and add some of that "OFP tension" to it. following some frightened young TA private as he bears witness to the American onslaught (i cant imagine its a very comforting feeling knowing you are squarely in the sights of a large american invasion force). it would be an excellent chance to explore a more liniar story based game focusing on the fear or dread of the common soldiers of the coming war wile still hearing the bombastic sabre rattling rhetoric from their leaders challenging or even provoking the Americans. after the invasion commences there is a futile battle in which the main characters unit fight valiantly but is shattered and overrun. subsequent missions feature the choatic retreat from USF. eventually the main character abandons his uniform to simply survive. could throw in a "razor two" type choice (do you stay and fight, or abandon your arms and end the game early, but alive, and safe?). if only i had sufficient skill with the mission editor.... sigh :p

anyway, i have rambled long enough. the bottom line, more early harvest red/EW level campaigns from bis featuring the OPFOR would kick ass

A long war scenario against a regular army like the Takistanis isnt realistic anyway especialyl not considering how quickly a army can advance using the newest technology these days.

Only possibility i see for a long realistic campaign is either a WWIII setting against russia or another Cold War campaign.

Saddly the Fall 89 Project that the ex Project 85 crew tried to start never really took off.

A long war scenario against a regular army like the Takistanis isnt realistic anyway especialyl not considering how quickly a army can advance using the newest technology these days.

Only possibility i see for a long realistic campaign is either a WWIII setting against russia or another Cold War campaign.

Saddly the Fall 89 Project that the ex Project 85 crew tried to start never really took off.

that's your excuse? I'm pretty sure someone could come up with 40 missions for this campaign. I mean, the US isn't out of afghanistan yet ..

It's very hard to keep 40 missions interesting and fun to play. It's also very hard to keep a cohesive narrative with that many. Hell, it's hard to do that with 5 missions...

It's very hard to keep 40 missions interesting and fun to play. It's also very hard to keep a cohesive narrative with that many. Hell, it's hard to do that with 5 missions...

Why? You managed to do that with Cobalt :p

Lol, thanks. :D

But that also took me half a year to do on my own... :butbut:

Complete agreement with OP

OA Campaign isn't bad per se, but lacks character development and involvment, and is too short.

I say : BI hires Zipper. In terms of story and immersion into it, he does a splendid job. Zipper's campaign + voice acting = win.

that's your excuse? I'm pretty sure someone could come up with 40 missions for this campaign. I mean, the US isn't out of afghanistan yet ..

Yeah it is.

If you want to make a US Army vs Takestan regular army realistic you have to make a campaign that has a span of few days.

Offcourse that could also be lenghted to 40 misysions if you add 10 missions where you get IED and ambushed, 10 Patrol missions and so on.

Making a real long campaign in this setting that actually is believeable sure is possible somehow but then you need a damn good storyline to explain why it would be so long.

And now i better start to play the Cobalt campaign as i have it in my campaign folder for a while but never really tried it :)

In vanilla ArmA2 the whole situation is bit different as you got a huge Army like the Russian Army involved.

I say : BI hires Zipper. In terms of story and immersion into it, he does a splendid job. Zipper's campaign + voice acting = win.

Heh, thanks a lot! But that's only a pipe dream of mine. :D

I have to agree with all of this. Though I love the sandbox aspect of the game I also want a real "experience" provided to me, one which really can't be equalled by the community despite how much I love their missions.

I didn't hate Red Harvest for the most part, I thought it was a brave attempt by BIS to do something different. I did however hate the warfare missions, totally out of place in a campaign. I also didn't really think it made best use of the real strengths of the game or the engine. The Arrowhead campaign was just way way way too short. I blew through the whole thing on veteran in about 3 hours.

I'd be willing to pay at least $20 just for a decent campaign of the scale of CWC.

I did not really like Harvest Red

Oh sure, it had a story, but did it blend seamlessly into the missions like OFP? Nope... Instead you had to drive around for hours making curtiosy calls on villagers who would go "Oh thank god you're here. Blah blah blah... rebels... blah blah... Russians... Go talk to Jiri to find out more" And you'd drive halfway across the map again to hear another monologue. If you were lucky, there might be 2 guys sitting on a hill somewhere along the way. Razor team was more like an elite team of carrier pidgeons

But I guess I should finish it before passing judgment... It's just that I'm up to the Manhattan mission and so far I've spent 99% of my time driving and listening to peasants drone on and on about the 'intruiging' story.

I just want missions like in OFP where you're a dumbass grunt who gets kicked around - they say "Here is your squad, we think the baddies are here. Go get em!"

I did not really like Harvest Red

Oh sure, it had a story, but did it blend seamlessly into the missions like OFP? Nope... Instead you had to drive around for hours making curtiosy calls on villagers who would go "Oh thank god you're here. Blah blah blah... rebels... blah blah... Russians... Go talk to Jiri to find out more" And you'd drive halfway across the map again to hear another monologue. If you were lucky, there might be 2 guys sitting on a hill somewhere along the way. Razor team was more like an elite team of carrier pidgeons

welcome to the real world SF team :)

as one of my NCOs (former SF) said: "We're just glorified school teachers. we teach the local kids to kill our enemies."

i liked the first missions of HR. they were pretty authentic SF type stuff in an asymmetric environment. not the standard type of "SF" mission as portrayed in most community missions. when i played through, i probably only killed 12 guys from the beginning to most of the way through Manhattan (for the whole team)

aLmAnZo's initial post is really well put. I haven't played AO's campaign through yet (I'm more hooked to multiplayer - partially because of the reasons said below), but still OFP's and it's expansions have the best campaigns. Only EW mini campaign comes close to it.

The most important things in a campaign are the characters - how they evolve or react. Voice acting should be taken seriously. The acting didn't sound that bad but the lines (and maybe lack of directing?) made the characters sound really cheesy. :i:

This thread actually inspires me to sketch out some kind of a campaign - initially in my head. Maybe if I had more time I could get back into mission making "business". But first I must finish AO. :)

I have so many good ideas and storys for campaign in my head, i just don´t have the skills and the time to make them........

I have so many good ideas and storys for campaign in my head, i just don´t have the skills and the time to make them........

Don't we all. :)

25 more years of house payments and I will have the time to learn the skills.:o

@ Tonic and SWAT

BEGIN! You just have to start and you will learn it! I made a mission as well which took me almost a year, I began with 0 knowledge.

This (forums) helped me a lot!

You will see that the editor really has addictive influences. :D

Edited by Undeceived

I know, I made some scenarios just for myself, such things like hold the frontline and stuff like that. It really is fun to make something. But i seriously don´t have the time to sit down and learn everything...

welcome to the real world SF team

as one of my NCOs (former SF) said: "We're just glorified school teachers. we teach the local kids to kill our enemies."

i liked the first missions of HR. they were pretty authentic SF type stuff in an asymmetric environment. not the standard type of "SF" mission as portrayed in most community missions (and other games in industry).

THIS.

Harvest Red missions are the most authentic portrayal Ive ever seen for a Special Forces unit in any game, OFP included. Actually they are the FIRST time I see it. All other games in industry treat Spec Ops as modern-day ninjas (hollywoodian type).

welcome to the real world SF team :)

i liked the first missions of HR. they were pretty authentic SF type stuff in an asymmetric environment. not the standard type of "SF" mission as portrayed in most community missions. when i played through, i probably only killed 12 guys from the beginning to most of the way through Manhattan (for the whole team)

Yeah. Harvest Red lost me when it became an RTS game but, really, it is the best portrayal of an SOF team in any game I've ever played. The missions where you have to troll throughout the countryside looking for clues and hunting for particular bad guys are my favorite.

I love Flashpoint, Red Hammer, and Resistance's campaigns, but Harvest Red was special.

Armed Assault was special too, but in a bad way. :)

I personally did not like OA's campaign. It was way too short. I'm currently working on a Delta Force campaign that features professional voice acting. If you are interested in making campaigns, you need to have these things in mind.

1. Plan everything out on paper. I always have the script written along with the direction each mission should take before I start recording.

2. Understand that every bit of care should be taken to make the objectives clear as possible for the player.

3. Make sure your extractions and insertions if used are working perfectly and will not fail. This is the number one reason why I quit playing user created missions.

4. Don't make half assed or rushed work. Be dedicated and make a polished product. It took me hundreds of hours to finish Seal Team 4. My girlfriend thought I was crazy at one point.;)

5. Search the editing forum. Here is a post I made August 2009.

" I don't know where to ask this but I want to know if anybody can point me in the direction of a step by step guide to making a simple seek and destroy mission. Ive read the arma 1 editing guide but its still unclear what makes a mission end. I just want to make simple missions where i have to clear certain areas and I don't want to use the built in mission creator but the editor to clarify. I'm sorry if this is dumb question but I cant make this happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! "

I learned everything i know from searching this forum.

I started making campaigns, because the bis campaigns weren't giving me the fix I needed and no one was really doing it at the time. So in conclusion, don't be afraid to start your own project. Even if it takes a lot of time, every contribution we make will be for the communities benefit.

Yeah. Harvest Red lost me when it became an RTS game but, really, it is the best portrayal of an SOF team in any game I've ever played. The missions where you have to troll throughout the countryside looking for clues and hunting for particular bad guys are my favorite.

I love Flashpoint, Red Hammer, and Resistance's campaigns, but Harvest Red was special.

Armed Assault was special too, but in a bad way

Exacly my toughts. ;)

Edited by vini_lessa

I thought OA's campaign was rather good (Although a bit too much vehicle oriented for me) and it was fun even though it was rather short. I think if it was (IMO) more focused on Infantry combat instead of armour/air it would have been even better. I have to say though, Dialogue was much better in OA than I expected after Harvest Red.