Sign in to follow this  
CrazyAce

Better infantry death animation

For years it has been the same thing, you shoot the enemy they fall backwards. Each and every single death animation is the same when the enemy dies while standing up or in the crouch position. On rare occasions will I happen to see a dramatic death. Now when they are in prone and die, that is how they are supposed to die.

Edited by CrazyAce

Now when they are in prone and die, that is how they are supposed to die

Unless that poor bastard was hit by a 120mm HE round.....(STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!)

What bothers me is when you hit an AI and they don't seem bothered.I think that any AI that gets hit,even if its in big toe,should instantly drop to the ground.Its a natural reaction IMO.

What bothers me is when you hit an AI and they don't seem bothered.I think that any AI that gets hit,even if its in big toe,should instantly drop to the ground.Its a natural reaction IMO.

Yeah. I don't like that either. They just get hit and continue what they're doing or go prone(and stay prone basically...) Now if you take a look at GTAIV with the EUPHORIA physics engine, you actually stumble and react to the hit taken.

I would LOVE to see that in ArmA 2/OA. I guess we can only dream, maybe one day we'll see it in RV3 Engine. :/

Yeah. I don't like that either. They just get hit and continue what they're doing or go prone(and stay prone basically...) Now if you take a look at GTAIV with the EUPHORIA physics engine, you actually stumble and react to the hit taken.

I would LOVE to see that in ArmA 2/OA. I guess we can only dream, maybe one day we'll see it in RV3 Engine. :/

^^^Yeah ok that is eaxcly what I'm talking about.^^^

I should also mention that 7 out of 10 times I see the enemy use the same animation on every angled hit. Now in the preview video that Janowich gave us the link for, the first hit is inaccurate, the bullet has enough force to make the dude follow the bullet until it exits out, (that had to be an exit wound for sure). Now when I say every death animation is the same, I’m not mentioning that for every kill the same animation is used, but every angled kill the animation is the same. If I shoot the dude in a back, about 80% of the time they will fall face first, but using the same animation again. If I shoot the dude in the shoulder he should fall opposite of the angle of the bullet that hit.

Edited by CrazyAce

And, did you read it? It says: "Euphoria is a game animation engine", followed by "is compatible with all commercial physics engines".

So it suggests to me that you'd need a physics engine as well. I'm no expert though.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Oh well I thought it was a Physics engine to a degree.

It says:

Type Motion Engine, Human Physics Engine

Well...Better yet. Lets get RV3 with Havoc and Euphoria...Good Game right there.

Would love to see a leg shot take a person down grabbing wound in agony.:eek:

Oh hey, yeah +1.

And, did you read it? It says: "Euphoria is a game animation engine", followed by "is compatible with all commercial physics engines".

So it suggests to me that you'd need a physics engine as well. I'm no expert though.

Sorry I’m a natural blonde and I don't know crap about programming, where are you getting at with this?

Edited by CrazyAce

Ragdoll ftw

The one thing I loved in Counter-Strike Source was shooting an enemy in the head and seeing him simple fall down limp to the floor, lmao I think that's what kept me playing for so long.

What ArmA II really needs is NO DELAY on death animations, it takes around 0.5 seconds after they get shot to actually fall down. Also it's pathetic how ArmA II doesn't have running death animations. Inside OpF:CWC, if you were running forward and got shot, your body would fall flat on his face. In ArmA II when you're running forward, somehow the bullet hits you SO POWERFUL that your body that was moving forward with the momentum of 1000 Newton/seconds gets pushed back by a bullet making you fall backwards.

Also it's pathetic how ArmA II doesn't have running death animations.

100% UTTERLY INCORRECT

There are running death animations and I have seen them thousands of times and they do exactly what you want....have the dead enemy fall flat on their face.

The only problem I have with the in game death animations is that the animation won't play until any previous animations already playing have been completed. So if you're shooting someone jumping a fence, the death animation won't play until the jump animation has finished.

Most of the time when the enemies are running towards me and I shoot them they just fall on their backs with a slight twist forward. That I know wouldn’t happen pending on the angle and caliber of the bullet.

Also, Euphoria would be nearly impossible with games the scale of ArmA II in multiplayer. Ok so imagine a battlefield where there are people being shot everywhere, a guy gets shot and physically balances himself upright with the Euphoria engine. First off the server would have to do the calculations for each person that is "euphorialized". If you ever ran over 6 or more people in GTA IV, the Euphoria animation get EXTREMELY taxing on your computer when the game has to calculate each human's arms, legs, torsos finding the best possible way to protect and or balance themselves. Now apply that to ArmA II and make it serverside. The server would be extremely bogged down whenever someone was "euphorialized".

Ok so even if you had a godly super server from the future you'd then run into the huge problem of lag. So if some guy would be "euphorialized" by being shot, the server has to calculate that the guy was shot and now in Euphoria mode. So the guy shoots another guy, this information goes to the server, which processes the information(including euphoria physics) and sends it to the guy who was shot. This lag could be extreme as in 200ms and much more as 1 second since the server has to calculate the physics. So there would be an extreme lag whenever you shot someone in multiplayer so deaths wouldn't be instant but more like every 0.5 seconds to more. ALSO there would be packet losses too so Euphoria WILL NEVER LOOK SMOOTH. You can shoot a guy, see him balance, and then see him warp 2m away walking around. And imagine being the guy who was shot having all of your controls disabled, stumbling around, and having your body teleport places due to packet loss.

I'd just say, ragdolls are a better option.

When the AI die (especially by headshot) all their motor skills should be immediately lost. Therefore once dead, they should drop immediately.

In-game you can shoot them several times and they have to complete the animation they're doing, so you end up wasting ammo on a dead guy in animation. If this was fixed I would be very happy.

The Ghost – Sniper warrior game has very nice death animations (instant ragdoll of AI when shot dead) -

The Ghost – Sniper warrior game has very nice death animations (instant ragdoll of AI when shot dead) -

To be honest they actually look pretty weird to me.

+1

They go limp instantly, with limited bone structure, and no momentum.

I admit that the impulse (energy exerted on an object with time) of bullets is strong in that game causing the bodies to move a lot. But I’m trying to show that the bodies are immediately effected when the person dies. Rather than a delay from when the bullet kills the character to when the character’s body falls; like in Arma 2.

EDIT:

This footage (RL) shows it a bit better (@ 1:33), and the guy didn't die

Edited by vinc3nt

The best is when you kill the AI in the MG nest. They teleported to just outside the nest standing up then fell like a stone statue.

Oh that’s right the reaction time, I completely forgot about that. I haven’t looked into this games animation system yet, but I wonder if it’s possible to change or add to death animations. If at all possible I would delete a few frames from the beginning of some animations, and then it would at least look a little better.

Now on special and rare occasions I would find the enemy dead inside an MG nest; I don't know how it happens, but it should happen more often.

Edited by CrazyAce

Really? I thought the death at 5:25 looked amazingly realistic.