Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Who else finds this new nazi slaughting game a

a new PC game known as "Blood Rayne" is a game where you play as get this, this female vampire in WWII hell bent on slaugthing nazis. its really nice to know that creativity is lush in this world. who ever came up with this idea should be draged out of their house and bitch slaped 900 + for making such a stupid concept. i mean RTCW is one thing that is at least origonal, but this is really pretty stupid. if anybody cares to look it over im sure gamespot.com has wasted a nice wad of bandwith in posting it in their site

Damm, couldnt you post a goddamm link to a few screenshots at least? biggrin.gif

Well, in the film industry everyone knows: "sex sells" and in the videogame-industry this slogan seems to be "Nazi sells" (or both.. )!!!!

so what you gonna do? LARA CROFT KILLING NAZIS

A part from the interview with the developers

HomeLAN - What kinds of creatures and characters will the game have?

Joe Wampole - BloodRayne will take down German soldiers, ruthless super Nazis, grotesquely mutated humans, hideous gurgling swamp creatures, eons old parasitic monsters from below the earth’s crust, and highly evolved vampire-like, clawed beasts.

HomeLAN - What other gameplay features will BloodRayne have?

Joe Wampole - BloodRayne's action-packed repertoire includes super human strength. This allows her to hold guns that normally take two hands in a single hand. She has two guns, akimbo ability and can target two enemies at once. With her super strength she can hold a huge sub-machine gun in each hand becoming a veritable walking tank. Furthermore, guns that normally require a tripod mount are nothing but a two handed weapon for BloodRayne. She will kick it off the tripod and carry it as though it were a rifle. In other words, this is one lady you do not want to piss off.

img27.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This sort of bullshit is what gives computer games a bad name <span id='postcolor'>

I'm not exactly excited about it at this point. However since plot hardly counts in computer games and even graphics are less than vital. All that matters is is it fun to play? So unless any of us have done that its a bit early to insult it.

I couldn't have cared less about 'Grand Theft Auto' or 'Giants' when I read about them. It was only when I tried demos that I realised what great games they were to play. So how about we give Mr Wampole a little time to provide a demo before we tear his game apart.

Fun can only get you so far. What Im talking about is the complete absence of creativity in the design of this game. I mean, how long is this game going to hold your interest if the most appealing feature of the game is, and I quote,

"With her super strength she can hold a huge sub-machine gun in each hand becoming a veritable walking tank. Furthermore, guns that normally require a tripod mount are nothing but a two handed weapon for BloodRayne. She will kick it off the tripod and carry it as though it were a rifle."

Umm, whooppee? Cmon, this game looks like a halfass cross of Wolfenstein, Heavy Metal, with the Giants engine slapped on top of it, and a concept that sounds like it took 2 and a half minutes to come up with? Maybe it would be fun for an hour or two, but guess what? Games aint exactly cheap, and with stellar products like OFP around, Im not gonna waste my money.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ April 22 2002,05:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The storyline seems a little weak compared to something like RTCW.<span id='postcolor'>

And that should say somehing since the storyline of RTCW won't be winning any pulitzers, so to say.

RTCW didnt have a plot either... dont fool yaself.

These nazikilling games is just because the gameing industry is way behind holywood. Any1 remember the movies in the early 60ies? Where nazis were put out as stupid soldiers that couldnt do shit.

This is what people wanted, and now it seems that this is what people still want... well, some people want.

I personally hate it.... its propeganda, and not for "making" propeganda, its just forselling more money. People want to see blood.... Nazi blood just makes it a bit more fun.

For me, a plot in a computer game is just as important as gameplay, i dotn care much about graphics as long as it is playable. IMHO there havent been a game out with a good plot since Starcraft.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ April 22 2002,09:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For me, a plot in a computer game is just as important as gameplay, i dotn care much about graphics as long as it is playable. IMHO there havent been a game out with a good plot since Starcraft.<span id='postcolor'>

eh hem. *cough* OFP *cough* biggrin.gif

This game is going to be awesome! And its not about killing nazis its all about the Spook house

And last game about Spookhouse (nocturne) had awesome gameplay and storyline

I just feel that on the basis of a few quotes and screenshots its kind of hard to make any kind of informed judgement. We can all have our initial reactions and gut feelings but without a lot more info its kind of pointless trying to reach, even less defend, any conclussions.

Personally I hated the other spookhouse games but then I also hated SWAT 1+2 but love SWAT 3 so even that means nothing. Just wait and see.

I think the game is nonesense! If the plot isnt good how can you safe a game from being terribly bad? Well you cant (except if you got a nostalgic bonus like Wolfenstein). I hate games where I cannot dive into the story. Operation Flashpoint could have survived without a story, but they still created a kind of storyline, and it was well done!

Okay, heres why I think its going to suck:

Every game has its own little hook, or gimmick. Soldier Of Fortune had an ultra-graphic damage system, European Air War had huge air battles with hundreds of airplanes involved at once. Steel Beasts has 2 ultra detailed models of the Leopard and Abrams MBTs. And of course OFP's hook is its unprecednted freedom of action.

But what is the one thing that the Developers (THE GUYS WHO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GAME) talk about, the one thing that they feel the gaming public HAS to know about their product, is that the main character can handle guns that a normal human could not operate on his own. confused.gif I mean, even games that end up sucking usually have some sort of feature that is widely publicized that differentiates the game somewhat, but jeez, how formulaic can you get?

Theres this Vampire chick (original, huh?). And she travels through time to kil as many nazis as possible, along with any supernatural inventions they might have come up with in their evil little nazi minds (wow, Im so excited I can hardly contain myself). Not enough for you? well, she also has a shitload of heavy weapons she can use. So what are you waiting for, pre order your copy today!

The point Im making is that this game is incredibly uncreative, cobbling elements from several bestselling games (RTCW, Resident Evil, Any number of Vampire games), and has no distinguishing characteristics of its own. There are so many good games out there right now, some you dont even have to pay for (mods like DOD etc), that there shouldnt even be a market for this sort of cloned idiocy.

sounds like the same old one-dimensional cheesy shit to me

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">cobbling elements from several bestselling games (RTCW, Resident Evil, Any number of Vampire games)<span id='postcolor'>

None of which were original. You want copycat, unoriginal plots. How about military leader tries to restore his country ( and himself ) to glory by leading a war on a defenceless neighbour. Only a small number of brave soldiers in the area stand between him and conquest. How dull! Who'd want to play that game.

Oh wait! We all do play it. Why? cause its done well. Even half-life was a mass of cliches. Its just that the execution was so good we didn't notice. Not just true of games either. Lucas ripped of Kurusawa for the Star Wars films, Alien was almost an exact copy of 50s B movies. Even Tolkien drew heavily from Norse and Aurthurian mythology. They did it well however and thats what counts. Originality is great but an original bad idea is still a bad idea. A cliche done well is another matter.

How about 'Giants'. One of the freshest games I've played for years. Alien crashes on planet and gets caught in local conflicts. Covers everything from Planet of the Apes to Superman. Its the telling of the story that makes it different.

Most narratives boil down to about seven different plots anyway so it could be argued that nobody has original ideas. Just original approaches.

Don't get me wrong I have no great expectations for this game simply on the basis that most games are rubbish. Its just too early for me to really feel anything one way or the other. I do know I've never bought a game cause it had a good plot. Books, films and other passive mediums yes. Games, I just want to know they play well.

For me there is a simple rule for PC games. I usually have to wait 2 to 3 months waiting for a new good game (after I played the old one to total death boredom,...) I am sure the developers of games know that. Global operations for example is not realy a killer, is it? It is okay, but the advantage is that it will come out here before Soldier of Fortune II and of course before Counterstrike Condition Zero! Some people get so bored to pass a month waiting that they say, okay I go for it, sell it to a friend later on

rd_pin1.gifThis game is such a gap-filler, nothing else!

what, there is no limit of emoticons?  smile.gif  sad.gif  biggrin.gif  tounge.gif  wink.gif  confused.gif  mad.gif  smile.gif  sad.gif  biggrin.gif  wink.gif  confused.gif  mad.gif  smile.gif  sad.gif  biggrin.gif  tounge.gif  wink.gif  confused.gif  mad.gif  smile.gif  sad.gif  biggrin.gif  tounge.gif  wink.gif  confused.gif  wow.gif  mad.gif

this crappy idea of a game is nothing but a cheap rip off of Soul Reavers Legacy of Kain mixed w/ RTCW. i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they violate some Trade mark from either companies. i could pull a better game out of my ass

Maybe she is a Jewish vampire, that's why she hate's the Nazis. Would that mean she is unaffected by a Crucifix, only the Star of David? tounge.gif

But what kills this game for me is the designers interview, the answers he gives is like a 12 year old kid "Oh it's so cool she's super strong and can use really big weapons!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ April 23 2002,05:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what kills this game for me is the designers interview, the answers he gives is like a 12 year old kid "Oh it's so cool she's super strong and can use really big weapons!"<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Unfortunately, I dont have your gift for being concise tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 23 2002,07:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ April 23 2002,05:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what kills this game for me is the designers interview, the answers he gives is like a 12 year old kid "Oh it's so cool she's super strong and can use really big weapons!"<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Unfortunately, I dont have your gift for being concise  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds to me like this game concept is stolen from the anime "Blood-The last vampire", in which a girl vampire kills his offsprings in an american airbase in the time of the vietnam war. Only set to WW2 and changed a little...

That still makes it a shitty concept and game idea  tounge.gif

Okay, I know it is a little bit late now (page 3) but here is the full interview describing the game!

HomeLAN - Back to BloodRayne: how did the idea for the game come about?

Joe Wampole - The game owes its biggest inspiration to the Matrix and Blade films. Both movies came out very close together and represented a new slightly anime/ Hong Kong style of action movie. Super humans jumping, flipping, slicing, acrobatic shooting poses, and generally just kicking much ass. You watch those movies and you think to yourself; “man, I would love to do that". So we decided to make a game where you can do all of that. It’s been a challenge but it is going to be very exhilarating for gamers.

HomeLAN - What is the storyline for the game?

Joe Wampole - In the years between the World Wars, the half-vampire/half-human, BloodRayne, works as a killing machine for a top secret government agency that hunts down and destroys supernatural threats. Two missions, nine years apart, turn out to be connected by one man. For years, this man has been searching the world for powerful occult relics to bring his homeland of Germany into a new age of domination. BloodRayne must face his elite nazi army to prevent them from releasing creatures of unfathomable terror onto the world in their unwavering quest for the relics.

HomeLAN - What sort of levels or settings will BloodRayne have?

Joe Wampole - BloodRayne will brave the darkest backwater bayous of Louisiana, a formidable German Sub-bay and mysterious temple in Argentina, and an immense vampire-infested cathedral-like castle in Germany.

HomeLAN - What kinds of creatures and characters will the game have?

Joe Wampole - BloodRayne will take down German soldiers, ruthless super Nazis, grotesquely mutated humans, hideous gurgling swamp creatures, eons old parasitic monsters from below the earth’s crust, and highly evolved vampire-like, clawed beasts.

HomeLAN - What other gameplay features will BloodRayne have?

Joe Wampole - BloodRayne's action-packed repertoire includes super human strength. This allows her to hold guns that normally take two hands in a single hand. She has two guns, akimbo ability and can target two enemies at once. With her super strength she can hold a huge sub-machine gun in each hand becoming a veritable walking tank. Furthermore, guns that normally require a tripod mount are nothing but a two handed weapon for BloodRayne. She will kick it off the tripod and carry it as though it were a rifle. In other words, this is one lady you do not want to piss off.

HomeLAN - What can you tell us about the new engine you are using for the game?

Fletcher Dunn - Yes, the new engine we are using is one developed internally entitled the Infernal Engine. It was built specifically to max out power for console products that Terminal Reality creates. The engine will have interior and exterior environments; unique dynamic lighting and shadows, skeletal character animation implemented on the VU1; world geometry streaming in off the ROM as you play; cloth simulation ; ability to destroy portions of the world like walls or catwalks, and have the AI and path finding adjust appropriately.

HomeLAN - Will there be multiplayer support for BloodRayne?

Jeff Mills - Our engine is designed in such a way that the AI characters push buttons on "virtual" controllers. If you interrupt the AI controls with the actual physical controller, the player is controlling the character. Any and every character is playable like this. Multiplayer is therefore fairly simple to implement. We're considering a cooperative multiplayer as well as traditional head-to-head deathmatch.

Fletcher Dunn - No online support planned. Split screen is a very likely possibility and we’re working towards it, but it’s still too early to say.

HomeLAN - Why did you decide to make the game for the PC and all the next-generation consoles, rather than concentrate the efforts on one platform?

Jeff Mills - One of the most spectacular features of the Infernal Engine is that it works identically on all platforms. No art changes are required to make the game fit on all platforms. For example, if we make a game for the PS2 using the Infernal Engine, it will run on the Xbox and PC and Gamecube by default. We'll be doing some special-case stuff to utilize some of the exceptional abilities of each console (bump-mapping on Xbox and so on).

Fredrick Jones - Likewise, Majesco felt strongly about this title’s unique sales potential on various platforms and we feel that if the game can reach a wide market of gamers we certainly want it to. So, this is really a combination of having the power of the Infernal Engine that can create high-quality titles across platforms and our desire to see the product and character reach as wide a market as possible. Majesco has been extremely supportive of our efforts and it is a testament to the current different platforms (Gamecube, Xbox, PC and PS2) that they can all handle a title like BloodRayne. This is an exciting time for us all in the industry.

HomeLAN - What differences, if any, will there be between the PC, PS2, GameCube and Xbox versions of BloodRayne?

Jeff Mills - The different console versions are practically identical. The Xbox can do some additional graphical tricks like bump mapping, and we'll take advantage of that. We're giving each platform some special features like hidden characters, small additional levels and other little bonuses like that. We’ll have more detailed info on that as we move forward in development.

HomeLAN - Finally, is there anything else you wish to say about BloodRayne at this stage of the game's development?

Fredrick Jones - The game is already up and running and looking fantastic. We’re just getting rolling on the really good stuff now! I think I can speak for all of us at Terminal Reality and Majesco when I say that gamers are in for a hell of a treat when this game ships in Fall 2002. Horror, action, ‘Matrix’ style effects, 1930’s environments, and a sexy, bad-ass female vampire—what more could you want?

Oh well, i guess its true then, this game sounds like total shit

I hope Stranger kills her in the end, he was the coolest game character ever:

Vampire: "You can't kill me I'm immortal!"

Stranger: "If you knew how many immortal creatures I killed"

And why do they even think that submarine bay is suppose to be a cool idea for the mission? It like the lamest idea ever same goes for "cathedral-like castle in Germany"!

Damn anything that got to do with WW2 is so lame now!

H&D2 gonna suck! I hope I44 don't include any specops mission into their mod