Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Somewhat new to ARMA - Thinking of OA

I am somewhat new to the ARMA2 gaming world - I currently have ARMA 2 up and running (realtively fine on my system). I am patched to 1.05.

I have never seen a game though so complicated and confusing about either updating to a new patch or adding an "ad-on / expansion" basically (speaking about OA).

My questions (and I've read through this forum multiple times) but I've just never seen a game have so many varying results when adding a simple patch.......or when adding an expansion pack (more or less, of which OA is).... So many posts about vary performance when upgrading to either 1.07 or OA.

1. If I bought ARMA 2 from a US Outlet (best buy) can I simply go purchase OA and install it? Will it automatically be compatible and simply run?

2. Does installing OA automatically update ARMA 2 to patch 1.07

3. If you play SP (not online) is patch 1.07 worth it?

4. Would it be best to simply wait 90 days to purcahse OA?

1. Yes it's a standalone expansion, you don't even need ArmA 2

2. No the latest patch for OA is 1.52 I think

3. Yeah for the performance improvements

4. Unless you're waiting for a price drop I don't see the point

Number 2 is Yes...the reason being there are some changes in 1.07 needed to make A2 compatible with OA so that it can be used in combined operations.

Best option is to install OA on top of (into the same folder) A2. You can lauch A2 separately if you want.

Unless you do not buy it from steam, you have nothing to worry about. It is Steam installations that complicate the situation.

What you can do if you are not sure about 1.07 patch. Take a copy of your Arma2 folder before applying. In case you you dont like 1.07, all you have to do is to delete (NOT uninstall) your Arma2 folder and rename the backed-up A2 to Arma 2.

Thanks for the information - Much apprecaited!

You really should install patch 1.07 its a big improvement over 1.05 in my opinion. Also, i think OA is the best of the arma series so far(even though its just an expansion)... combined with ARMA2 its an amazing game.