Sign in to follow this  
byeohazard

controller of choice for flying aircraft?

Just starting to learn the ropes of flying. Not doing to bad however I was wondering if there is a general consensus of Joystick vs Keyboard vs Xbox controller in terms of what most folks feels works best with all forms of aircraft within the game.

Thanks!

After trying both keyboard and joystick+ HOTAS, I've settled on a gamepad as my preferred controller. Left joystick for roll and pitch, right joystick for thrust (up/down) and yaw/rudder(left/right).

I use mouse:

Left & Right: Banking (Roll)

Forward & Backward: Nose (Pitch)

A & D: Rudder (Yaw)

W & S: Throttle/Collective

saitek x35 and x36... if had some dough i'd buy the x52 pro but i just forked out 140+ for my track ir 5....

I prefer a joystick setup, have used the Saitek X52's and currently use the X65's with Saitek rudder pedals. All have worked well in ArmA (and others sims). Fairly immersive having both hands and feet involved in the flying.

I'm using old faithful

Microsoft sidewinder 2

but I think I'll give my 360 controller a whirl, a lot of buttons on it could streamline the aircraft/helicopter controls.

I stick to my keyboard. I tried using the joystick, but I think it overcomplicated things. I think you can be that little bit more precise with mouse and keyboard anyway.

Hey, come on... its gotta be a joystick :D (why do you think they called it that... ;)) X52 here

If you really like flying you should also look at a TrackIR 4 or 5. Thats a whole new experience

If you really like flying you should also look at a TrackIR 4 or 5. Thats a whole new experience

It very useful for infantry too!;)

Of course but takes a bit more getting used to.

Joystick is my usual choice. I have a cheap logitech Pro 3d joystick, and does well enough since I don't normally do a lot of flight sims. Also saves having to map flight controls to the keyboard (save those buttons for other things). And i concure about TrackIR. If I had the money for it i'd have it for flying or infantry as well.

Edited by Steakslim

I stick to my keyboard. I tried using the joystick, but I think it overcomplicated things. I think you can be that little bit more precise with mouse and keyboard anyway.

That's what I do, despite having (and getting used to, lots of hours in various simulators) saitek x52. It feels like devs didn't have/didn't use a proper hotas when fine tuning the game, flying is much more responsive when I use mouse.

I only have one controller Type so I use only this one for all games.

Since I was much into flight simulations untill ArmA II, I still use my Saitek X52Pro setup with flight pedals.

After some tweaking in the cfg. this setup runs flawlessly.

I have most axis set to 1.75 response, exept sliders and rotators.

Z-slider axis is set to 1.0 negative and 2.0 positive for better throttle reaction.

I use the toe brakes on the pedals for throttle and brake pedal in Vehicles.

I tried the 360 controller briefly on the dirt bike with default controls. Very interesting, but the control layout made it a little clunky. I may use joystick for flying and controller for vehicles.

XBox360 controller with aircraft. Works great with helos, not so good with jets. But that may be because jets are allergic to me or something, as soon as I get in one it explode within seconds due to... mysterious reasons... Totally unrelated to my skill...

Joysticks have no hope of reaching the efficiency and precision of mouse and keyboard.

Joysticks have no hope of reaching the efficiency and precision of mouse and keyboard.

Efficiency & response time you mean. I have a lot of problems with the rudder while strafing enemy units w/ K+M. Most joysticks have rudder control by turning the stick, not to mention thrust levers.

I normally use my X52 pro joystick.

It's very enjoyable.

Last night, because it wasn't plugged in I tried the helicopter mission in the expansion using keyboard and mouse,

I used to fly them this way before i bought my first joystick all those years ago in OpF.

As the above poster noted, I was struck by the precision of those controls. How much stabler the aircraft was.

But I couldn't pull any manouvres with it. It didn't respond fast enough.

So I'd have been good for a slow and steady sniper session with the mouse, but for high speed action...I am going to need something a little more.

Wireless xbox 360 pad. Would be better with a dedicated free look button.