Sign in to follow this  
Tangox5

Vehicle Uber-spotting

Even at the lowest skill level, with the slider set to "zero" in the editor, vehicles are spotting things much MUCH too easily. Ridiculously, laughably so.

Take the following example:

A BMP-2 is driving cross-country over half a km from an SPG-9 hidden in bushes and trees. The SPG-9 is keyholed, meaning it will only have line-of-sight to the target during a "window of opportunity" as it drives by.

The BMP-2 has skill set to lowest possible using the slider (0.2) and they are BUTTONED, and the SPG-9 is on their 10 to 9 o'clock.

Often times, with me playing the SPG-9, the BMP-2 will SPOT me and SHOOT me before I even see him through the brush and trees. In all cases they will spot the SPG-9 within 5 seconds or so of coming into LOS.

The BMP-2 is a notoriously blind AFV. The SPG-9 launcher is smaller than most WW2 era anti-tank guns.

:rolleyes:

PS - Great game. :)

You could try to hide behind your forum username.:shine:

longnick.jpg

:p :)

Radar blocking? I don't understand. You can't mean HF radar (?)

I'm still testing to figure out what's going on. I found that if I place the SPG-9 *inside* a bush, that helps a great deal. But bushes and foliage in front and behind don't seem to count for much. I know I've been plastered by the BMP2 when I couldn't see him because of bushes between us.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

MakesMakesMakesMakesThePass was taken.

No, it's an old russian IFV with a reputation for poor visibility. My tests are showing it acquiring the SPG-9 from as far as 730m -buttoned- while on the move. That's a feat even if the SPG-9 was in open ground.

:p :)

Radar blocking? I don't understand.

All vehicles have what we can call a type of radar. It's usually how AI detects vehicles (in this case, your SPG-9). Problem is, that sometimes the radar can penetrate objects, allowing vehicles to detect other vehicles before they have sight.

What objects are radar blocking? Which aren't?

I thought only the ground was radar blocking. Maybe buildings as well but i doubt it.

Should be rules against such long names. Makes the forum look horrible.

I don't have the access level to do it, but they can take a few Tango's off the username. I didn't realize it was going to fuck up the thread formatting.

About the name: Its the forums fault not his. Stop picking on it. It didnt warn him. And I doubt there is a preview of how the forumpost looks when registering.

I also noticed and can confirm that something is wrong with the LOS (line of sight) restriction in OA. Player and A.I. can see through terrain. Just put a AH46 on the map with you as Driver and put a BMP on the other side of one of the high mountain ridges...you can lock on it from behind the ridge.

@5xTango :p - Ask a moderator, I'm sure they can help. And maybe the registering process can be updated to prevent it from happening again.

And, off course we can have a little fun with it, never seen it happen before. Was, ehh, "refreshing" having to read a thread in a zigzag pattern - keeps me awake :D But no, nothing I want to see to much of.

@Beagle: I'll just assume you mean an AH64 :p Try an empty BMP, is it still detectable or was it the engine noise that gave him away? And, how accurate was the position?

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Try an empty BMP, is it still detectable or was it the engine noise that gave him away? And, how accurate was the position?

The engine noise gave it away? :D

We all know the AI´s reputation for godlike detection capabilitys.

This seems to be one of ´em, one of the more annoying ones which need to be fixed.

What's funny about that? A player is in Arma2 always by default at full skill, and if autoreport is on his "spotting" skills can appear extreme. I don't know the distance from the chopper to the BMP, it wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure if AIs hearing ability is reduced in vehicles, enough or at all. And from early Arma2 phase, there was a lot of complaining regarding the same thing, but it turned out to be solely based on hearing alone, and how that information (or accuracy of) was completely way off.

Ref: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/1701#note-23

What are you hiding behind? Might not be radar-blocking...

Didn't know BMP-2s have a radar to detect AT guns. :D

Radar for tanks what a ridiculousness! :D

I also noticed and can confirm that something is wrong with the LOS (line of sight) restriction in OA. Player and A.I. can see through terrain. Just put a AH46 on the map with you as Driver and put a BMP on the other side of one of the high mountain ridges...you can lock on it from behind the ridge.

Is this an issue in multiplayer?

-T5 :cool:

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

About the name: Its the forums fault not his. Stop picking on it. It didnt warn him. And I doubt there is a preview of how the forumpost looks when registering.

Exactly! And a guy's gotta have his Tangos! I specifically checked to see if there was a tango cap and I thought I was being rather moderate only taking five when I could easily have taken seven, or even eight. They're jealous they didn't think of it first.

Their line of sight is fine. The problem is radar. It can be used to for vehicles to detect other vehicles that should otherwise be hidden.

Is this an issue in multiplayer?

-T5 :cool:

Yes in big coop fights.

In ACE the sniper's assistant spotting scope is technically a "static weapon" so once deployed and entered it doesn't matter if you're buried 20 ft. under leaves, every single armored vehicle in 100km instantly know about you.

Vehicles know about static weapons like WOAH in OFP/ArmA/ArmA2/ArmA2OA. Their camouflage values or whatnot are severely skewed toward visible. It's a rather annoying quirk of OFP version 6.0 (aka ArmA2) that's haunted us all for about a decade.

That's a shame... :( I guess this is something that cannot be modded either?

It's good you bring attention to this issue, let's see if Bohemia brings some kind of improvement.

Detection between various AI units has always been a bit spiffy? ...bizarre?, sometimes they are too blind, sometimes they hvae godlike vision/hearing, without middle term. With vehicles is even more an issue. Perhaps they BIS touched something and made it even worse in OA, by mistake.

Best way to test that : In your mission, take the place of the BMP, and check in its "radar" (which is not a radar per se, but a summary of sensors on board, can be IR, even gunner's eyes) what you see of the static weapon.

When confirmed, open a ticket in CIT, upload the mission for devs to check and correct it :)