Sign in to follow this  
USAF77

Overwhelmed

Im not inexperienced with war games but Im a little overwhelmed with this one. Its the little things, like keymapping, how to join battles, how to get up to speed quickly.

Any advice would be appreciated. The game looks terrific but its a little intimidating to a noob. TY.

First off, welcome to our community!! I've been playing the series since the release date of Operation Flashpoint 10 years ago. The only advice that I can give you is to play the game as much as possible, as that's the only way to get good at it. Trust me, this is a game that is worth getting into.

I would say that the basic controls can be learned within a couple of days. The more advanced controls would take more time (I am still far from mastering them), but it should not get in the way of you enjoying the game.

You might want to set up some simple scenarios in the editor (i.e. squad vs squad or tank vs tank) and play those until you get comfortable with the controls. Once you do, there are plenty of guides that can teach you some advanced tactics.

Part of enjoying this game is in learning how it works and being surprised/amazed by how much it offers!

Peace,

DreDay

Edited by DreDay

My advice would be to get good at the basic infantry controls. The basic infantry commands can be applied to most basic vehicle commands.

Hi, the tutorial (bootcamp) missions in OA got much much better, you can learn almost every aspect of the game from them. So i suggest doing them even multiple times until you get the hang of it

Hi USAF77

Welcome to the community.

You will have received a keymap with your manual, in the packaging with the disk and available for download as a PDF from the likes of Steam.

There is additional information here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2

In the hints and tips is a link to several manuals including the steam ArmA II manual and Dslyecxi's ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide, which is considered to be the bible of ArmA II playing.

There are additional multiplayer manuals here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

ArmA 2 can be a bit like a wild west frontier town as it is so moddable there are hundreds of new game forms and tens of thousands of missions. Operation Arrowhead content will be sparse to begin with but with a week there will be 100s of missions and in month thousands. And that is just the inbuilt editor content then the addon modders will get started and content in ArmA will go exponential.

Because of that, you need some friends; join one of the many ArmA MP communities and download Yoma's addon sync it is all described in the MP Manuals section.

Once again welcome to the ArmA community. :)

Kind Regards walker

Thanks for the replys and the help fellas.

I guess I'll get it, tho it will take time. This is such a wonderfully immersive game however, and as such its rather complicated.