Sign in to follow this  
Sniper101-2

OA headaches...

Trying to control a group of vehicles in the single player campaign is about as fun as taking a hammer and nailing my pinkie toe to the floor. My favorite issue is how easy it is to accidently select the "disembark" command in the heat of battle while trying to issue group orders.

I also love how my tank will sit 100 yards from an enemy tank. And only the machine gunner will care to fire.

The second mission in OA is REALLY testing my patience BI.

you're the commander of the tank. You call the shots, not the gunner. AI commanders also call the shots.. :)

One thing that does annoy me is when I tell my AI tank crew to engage an enemy tank, they start firing at it with their coaxial machine guns. :confused:

Only after I tell them to engage with the main gun do they start to do something reasonable. I think it would be better if the AI tank crew would engage targets with a weapon suitable for that engagement.

Right, but when I issue a group order to attack shouldn't the tank automaticly fire its cannon at another tank? Because I have noticed sometimes he will and somtimes he wont.

I dunno, I made it through Arma 2's campaign before it was patched and never got to aggravated. But this is just driving me crazy, i have had to restart this mission like five times now. And im not sure how much more i can take lol.

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

One thing that does annoy me is when I tell my AI tank crew to engage an enemy tank, they start firing at it with their coaxial machine guns. :confused:

Only after I tell them to engage with the main gun do they start to do something reasonable. I think it would be better if the AI tank crew would engage targets with a weapon suitable for that engagement.

Exactly, there's four vechicles to control and all i want to do is issue one order for the tank to attack. And then issue orders to the other units. Instead, by the time i get my tank working right one of my apc's is down.

Never had such problems, i always manually ordered the gunner to fire the main cannon on vehicles, works fine for me. Plus, imagine the nightmare of AI auto-firing main cannon, targeting what it wants, firing when it wants... brrr! I prefer manually engaging, so i always have the cannon ready when i need it.

Edited by Alaric [ITA]

What about issuing the order "Engage at will" to all? (3,5 I think)

You could always switch to the gunner of the tank yourself?

That's what I always do. The highest priority is keeping us alive and I seem to have a much better track record at that than the AI do. It made it a long but relatively easy journey to completing that mission.

As Tank commander you must order the main gun to fire each time its reloaded... only machine guns fire at will when ordered. very easy when you get use to it.

You sound like a noob. Try the bootcamp mission for Armor. It's actually quite good (coming from an OFP veteran too).

AI's are and will be dumb, I use the main gun myself and use those other AI's to fill the tank I switch from seat to seat all the time, I cant afford the AI to make their own stupid mistakes, the only useful AI in a tank is actually the driver, I have full control over him. I am using the commander and gunner seat myself

As Tank commander you must order the main gun to fire each time its reloaded... only machine guns fire at will when ordered. very easy when you get use to it.

Pretty much as in real life, where the tank commander usually is the one to decide what round to load, on what to aim, and when to shoot with the main cannon ^^

AI's are and will be dumb, I use the main gun myself and use those other AI's to fill the tank I switch from seat to seat all the time, I cant afford the AI to make their own stupid mistakes, the only useful AI in a tank is actually the driver, I have full control over him. I am using the commander and gunner seat myself

Yea, after i posted last night thats what I did, and I now allmost have the mission complete.

Pretty much as in real life, where the tank commander usually is the one to decide what round to load, on what to aim, and when to shoot with the main cannon ^^

In the US Army, typically the gunner is to fire as soon as he has the shot. Doing otherwise could waste seconds that in the right circumstances could mean one knocked out tank/crew. The commander wants to keep scanning, not stare and wait to see when the gunner is lined up, so he can say to fire.

Edited by Baron von Beer

Sniper101-2: use the SPACE bar and point to each T-34 you encounter. They won't stand a chance against abrams cannon. and keep bradleys back. You can also switch to a bradley gunner during the convoy stop and send a TOW or two to an enemy ambush point...