Sign in to follow this  
celery

Which recoil model do you prefer?

Which recoil model do you like best?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which recoil model do you like best?

• The new one
    • The new one, but tone it down a bit
    • The old one

In the new Operation Arrowhead beta version (71900) the recoil makes the gun go up and doesn't automatically bring it to the original level. Do you find it a good solution or do you prefer the old way?

Z-vMJPqbA_M

Very strongly prefer the vanilla OA recoil.

new one, but tone it down just a little

The new recoil model is great but it needs a bit of fine tuning for different caliber etc.

New one, getting 25-30% (especially at the AK's) toned down and optionally randomizing the direction that the weapon moves to when firing.

Realism-wise the new recoil makes no sense because nobody makes it an effort to bring the sights down after firing a weapon. The beta patch simulates a strange kind of muscle stiffness where a soldier keeps aiming where the gun raised its barrel, and that just doesn't happen.

I don't have OA yet but I hate the beta recoil just by looking at it.

Sight not rezeroing automatically is great news, however muzzle climb seems a bit overdone.

Edited by stilpu
Took a second look, kickback is actually in.

I haven't tried the new beta yet but from video.....How I think it should work.First off it should offset by a tiny amount and not just upwards.We are asking for the after effect of recoil which is the body trying to force weapon back down to starting postion(centered on target).This effect isnt perfect in real life and instead alot of times the shooter overcompensates and aimpoint drops down below,sometimes not down far enough and sometimes its offset to either side.

What is happening in beta is after each shot the weapon stays at highest point the recoil sent it too.We do not want this....instead we want the weapon to drop back down BUT not to exact point it was before.If engine does not allow aimpoint to be set below/above/left or right of initial point than at least give us a weapon that goes up and only comes down 3/4 the distance that initial recoil caused.

Also the screen shake is awesome but needs to be looked at again.Take a PKM and fire it standing/crouching and prone.Prone has a beautiful screen shake effect and also the weapon animation is sweet.Leave this prone screen shake setting for all 3 positions and let the recoil be the factor in choosing which position is optimal.Right now with recoil and the EXCESSIVE screen shake while standing,shooting a PKM becomes way too hard.

I think the weapon should return to a random position around (Preferably slighty above/under and more to the sides) where it started before the shot.

I think the weapon should return to a random position around (Preferably slighty above/under and more to the sides) where it started before the shot.

The recoil of Arma2 probably will not support the under or to the sides.But if they can make aimpoint move up and back down BUT "slightly" above the initial than its sweet enough.

The recoil of Arma2 probably will not support the under or to the sides.But if they can make aimpoint move up and back down BUT "slightly" above the initial than its sweet enough.

Then they should make it support it! :p

Just out of curiosity why are so many people voting for option 2? And before you say "it's more realistic" please take into account:

1. By all accounts modern assault rifles recoil backwards not upwards

2. A little thing called gravity pulls the gun down automatically.

I would much rather as people have already suggested that the recoil automatically re-centres the gun, but with a slight randomised offset - so you have to fine tune the aim.

I totally agree!!! Otherwise you run the Stalker game series of recoil that no one likes.Some of the weapons from Stalker would shoot so high up that you felt so out of tune with game and super aggravated at same time.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Back to screen shake effect...not really off-topic.Take a PKM and the crouching screen shake feels like firing a 7.62 caliber weapon.Then take the RPK and prone has no screen shake at all while the standing feels sweet for a smaller caliber weapon as compared to the PKM.

Edited by Wolfstriked

Just out of curiosity why are so many people voting for option 2? And before you say "it's more realistic" please take into account:

I would much rather as people have already suggested that the recoil automatically re-centres the gun, but with a slight randomised offset - so you have to fine tune the aim.

Well, how it was was too easy, and what is suggested is currently not possible. So Option 2 is the best for now. :p

There wasn't any recoil in vanilla, it was like Call of Duty - The new one is nice step but they need to turn it into a kickback instead of a weapon that keeps rising. The best way to simulate proper 'recoil' is by the weapon going up and then about 90% down again, so you still see the weapon rise but the kickback is what throws off the aim. Should be a natural reaction for the soldier in-game to counter the recoil by pulling it down, shouldn't be our job as it's a bit of a chore with the mouse.

Edited by Sethos

I prefer the old, this is the 1st part of the video.

Obviously it needs some fine tuning, but the effect is better than shooting round after round in the same exact point. Readjusting feels the way it should be

More kickback and less nose up effect would be wanted i guess by everyone here..

I'm sorry but thats bolloxx.

1. Muzzle climb and recoil are two different things.

It is true that most 5.56 chambered weapons have little recoil and muzzle climb, however the big variables are stance, ergonomics and skill not the weapon itself.

When someone remarks about harsh recoil he usualy means "hard to react to"-recoil.

In fact a weapon with strong but somehow predictable kick (f.e. the M14, G3 or to a lesser degree FAL ) would almost always be percieved as having better characteristics as a rifle with overall milder but unpredictable kick ( f.e. 7,62 chambered AKs ).

To say that "modern assault rifles recoil backwards instead of upwards" is unexact to put it at it's mildest.

2. That might be true in certain cases of shooting from a lying stance resting the handguard ( or god beware the barrel ) without proper forehand grip.

However you train as hard as you can to control all the forces involved - including gravity - with the proper motoric reaction - muscle memory ultimatly.

For our game that means that the recoil is picture perfect in the new beta, but that there is one important flaw: We cannot possibly react as fluidly and quickly to the muzzle climb as a person in real life with some good training would.

That will not change unless we start controlling games via brain implant in the distant future.

So ultimatly leave the recoil as it is but add some degree of automatic shooter response.

If not possible just reduce the muzzle climb somewhat as so many have allready suggested.

@Hunin

I agree with you mate. It was an oversimplification on my part as muzzle climb is not the same as recoil, but they are connected. But this is a game after all. I don't want to spend all evening dragging my mouse down my desk.

Edited by stun

@Hunin

I don't want to spend all evening dragging my mouse down my desk.

Good point ;).

Agree, i don't want to spend all evening dragging my mouse down my desk too.

Make it simple, ofp type was good enough.