Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

For crying out load...not even a keyboard guide!

I've bemoaned the fact there isn't a manual that explains in detail what the various menu selection items are meant to do (ie what exactly is safe,danger etc.).

So OK so we're not getting a user manual..I've managed to struggle through somehow by reading these forums for other peoples assumptions anyway.

But for gawds sake , would it be too much to ask for even a simple little PDF file ( I suggest a PDF file as it's editable and can be customized to suite your personal keyboard configuration ) of the default keyboard layout? I noticed a printed version was available for some lucky sods that bought from a particular source..the rest of us are SOL.

Here (why this wasn't stickied is beyond me as it's a great helpers guide for beginners) an enterprising young chap has done a ArmA1 layout.

Would it be too much trouble perhaps for BI , charging $40 - $60 a game , to at least include such a simple little file? I'm sure with a little encouragement the kind fella that did the original ArmA PDF would be more than willing to update it to ArmA2/OA and supply the file for inclusion (or even a simple down load).

:(

Well don't have OA yet (on it's way) and have to say that that's a slight improvement over the ArmA2 manual , but a keyboard TEMPLATE would be much easier to use and more intuitive.

Still can't see why a simple thing as a keyboard template (so you don't have to keep flipping pages) couldn't have been incorporated.

(and flipping pages isn't really all that much work,it's just that you have to divert your attention from the keyboard to do it and the damn book keeps folding shut..at least the ArmA2 did).

Czech Republic = 1 - Canada = 2 :D

Who the hell uses a keyboard template? :confused:

Better yet, what game has ever come with a keyboard template?

Well don't have OA yet (on it's way) and have to say that that's a slight improvement over the ArmA2 manual , but a keyboard TEMPLATE would be much easier to use and more intuitive.

Still can't see why a simple thing as a keyboard template (so you don't have to keep flipping pages) couldn't have been incorporated.

(and flipping pages isn't really all that much work,it's just that you have to divert your attention from the keyboard to do it and the damn book keeps folding shut..at least the ArmA2 did).

Czech Republic = 1 - Canada = 2 :D

I know what you mean about a template as Joint Operations had one and it helped, but it would cost a bit more and take some of their money they could use to get better manual print etc.

anyway you could use a thing called a Scanner if you have the manual or print the pages from that pdf and make your own keyboard template :P not hard.

Czech Republic = 1 - Canada = 2 - UK = 1 :butbut:

My (UK version) hard copy arrived today and it includes a 60 page manual and a separate keyboard guide. My sprocket copy contained a 60 PDF manual which incorporated a keyboard guide. If you didnt recieve a manual with your game then I can only suggest that is down to the distributers in your country rather than BIS.

Who the hell uses a keyboard template? :confused:

Better yet, what game has ever come with a keyboard template?

Operation flashpoint came with a keyboard template actully

I've bemoaned the fact there isn't a manual that explains in detail what the various menu selection items are meant to do (ie what exactly is safe,danger etc.).

So OK so we're not getting a user manual..I've managed to struggle through somehow by reading these forums for other peoples assumptions anyway.

But for gawds sake , would it be too much to ask for even a simple little PDF file ( I suggest a PDF file as it's editable and can be customized to suite your personal keyboard configuration ) of the default keyboard layout? I noticed a printed version was available for some lucky sods that bought from a particular source..the rest of us are SOL.

Here (why this wasn't stickied is beyond me as it's a great helpers guide for beginners) an enterprising young chap has done a ArmA1 layout.

Would it be too much trouble perhaps for BI , charging $40 - $60 a game , to at least include such a simple little file? I'm sure with a little encouragement the kind fella that did the original ArmA PDF would be more than willing to update it to ArmA2/OA and supply the file for inclusion (or even a simple down load).

:(

How about checking the options?

Operation flashpoint came with a keyboard template actully

My ArmA2 and OA both came with printed keyboard templates. (both are czech version) The ArmA 2 one looks like this and the Arrowhead one is pretty similar.

Edited by Hedo

Yeah the box I ordered from amazon has a keyboard and mouse guide as well, strange box though it's all clear.

Lol, when I heard "keyboard template" I thought something you lay on top of your keyboard which has all the actions printed on them. :p

But I take it you mean that extra sheet which came with OFP, ArmA and Arma 2. It's only after you mentioned it that I realized it didn't come with it. But hey, why not print the specific pages from the digital manual?

That's why I linked to the ArmA1 "template" .. so you could see what I was talking about.:p

I do have the original of that template in a pdf file (somewhere :confused:) that if I can find , can modify to suite my needs..question is though why didn't (doesn't) BI include such a simple little file with the game(s)?? :j:

WASD to move

Enter to make cool things happen

All you'll ever need

Hi all

My Retail Copy of ArmA II and My Retail Copy of Operation Arrowhead both came with a "Keyboard Template" and a full manual. Steam comes with a "Keyboard Template" in the downloadable manual.

Where did you buy your copy from BeerHunter?

When you say things like that:

Well don't have OA yet (on it's way) and have to say that that's a slight improvement over the ArmA2 manual , but a keyboard TEMPLATE would be much easier to use and more intuitive...

In you second post, it would to seem to me you are esentialy saying you are complaining about a missing thing in your copy of OA when infact you have no copy of OA on which to base your complaint. :confused:

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi all

Where did you buy your copy from BeerHunter?

Kind Regards walker

ArmA2 I bought from some store on e-bay (DVD) and OA DVD from Amazon Export Sales, Inc. (should be here sometime next week).

I know about the various board diagrams in the official manual but they are spread out over a number of pages and not , IMO , in a manner conducive to making the keys easy to find on a keyboard.,especially if you customize your keys in any way.

I like the complete visual representation of a keyboard (as found in my link) on one page.

True not many games come with this but then again , not many games are as complex as ArmA2 to play either (other than maybe flight sims).

Found the pdf file so I can edit and customize it to suite my needs. If BI were to supply a pdf file ANYONE could edit it to suite their preferences.

My box came with a piece of paper that had the keyboard layouts on both sides as well as the manual which had it on pages, also there is a manual button on the autorun screen.

Take no notice folks, he's just warming up for the six-month non-stop bitchfest he likes to engage in whenever his brand new BI titles arrive, he doesn't actually need to see what's in the box first. :rolleyes:

I've seen hundreds if not thousands of silly rants in my 9 years here but this one is up there with the best, so congrats, kind of ;)