Sign in to follow this  
pauliesss

New beta 71900 is up!(OA)

I have experienced this but only at the start up menu, the mouse is really shakey and laggy but as soon as I go into the editor it stops being laggy and is fine.

I couldn't understand what BIS did to cause this to happen. I wonder if it's mouse dependant. Do you and SBMAC use Logitech setpoint drivers by any chance (I do)?

Same deal with civilians. Can't look up or down until you pick up a weapon from a fallen soldier. Don't recall it to be like this from ArmA2.

Same here, cannot look up and down without a weapon.

Do you and SBMAC use Logitech setpoint drivers by any chance (I do)?

Excellent question - yes I do use a Logitech G5 mouse! I've updated http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11650 but feel free to add to it :-)

Excellent question - yes I do use a Logitech G5 mouse! I've updated http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11650 but feel free to add to it :-)

SBSMAC - I've figured it out!

If you turn off Anti-aliasing AND Post-processing, the control problem goes away - the menu and game are then snappy and fantastic. Whatever BIS changed in the engine between the Sprocket release build and v1.52 has caused this issue. This would also explain why the game feels like mud right now even though it's reporting decent frame rates. Even if FSAA and PP are set to "Very Low" the issue is still present.

The issue is probably more widespread, but since people can still get through the menus - they're not reporting it... after all, it's quite hard to explain. It may not even be a mouse issue, so maybe we should help BIS by listing video card, video card drivers, and mouse:

* NVidia GeForce 480

* Tested with both drivers: 257.21 and beta 258.69

* Logitech G500 mouse

Edited by jpinard

I just tried it with disabling AA ( and anisotropic filtering) and PP and still got very bad mouse lag BUT your suggestion did make me notice something else which may be significant... :)

As soon as I entered the mission I hit ESC with the intention of bringing up the options menu. As soon as I did that, mouse-lag was very bad. I then hit 'continue' and did it again. This time there was no mouse-lag. After playing around for a bit I came to the conclusion that the mouse-lag is only present when there are no other units in the players line-of sight !

To test this:

* In the editor on Desert island, place a player unit and a group of independents nearby.

* Preview the mission.

* Stand facing the independent group.

* Press ESC to bring up the 'Paused' menu - you should notice no mouse-lag.

* Press 'continue' and turn around 180 degrees so the independent group is behind you.

* Press ESC to bring up the 'Paused' menu' - you should now notice mouse-lag !

I repeated this several times and it seems pretty consistent although the severity of the mouse-lag is quite variable.

I wondered if this was something to do with the object-culling code and modified the mission to place a cargo container between the player and the independent group. It's interesting that even with the cargo container blocking my view I still get no mouse-lag when facing the other units.

My GPU is an ATI 5870 with latest drivers, mouse is Logitech G5.

Updated test mission in the CIT ticket.

Edited by sbsmac

* Press ESC to bring up the 'Paused' menu' - you should now notice mouse-lag !

I noticed something similar in vanilla ArmA 2 sometimes, mostly when setting parameters up for a multiplayer game. The (static) view of the lobby works, but as soon as you set parameters (and the 3D view becomes non-static) the mouse would erratically jump around to a point that you could not use it for setting parameters.

can i use this whit my steam copy of the game and can i just instal ACE

thx

ACE is not compatible with OA yet

Although not much has changed in terms of avg. FPS, Beta 71900 helped somewhat with mouselag and stuttering for me. Changing "HDRprecision" to "8" (i utilized "32" in Arma2), made Zargabad accessible for small scale mission environments during daylight. FPS hit @ Night is still atrocious - compared to 35-40 FPS daytime in an empty Zargabad, it's 25-28 Nighttime FPS w/o NVG´s.

~ 30% performance loss, just for better streetlamp lighting is hardly acceptable.

SW:

Vista 32

Cat. 10.6

X-Fi Drv. 2.18.0015 (06/2010)

Dx Ver. 9.29.1962 (06/2010)

HW:

C2D E6750 @ 3.2GHz

2 GB DDR2-800 A-DATA Vitesta Extreme CL4.0 Kit

GB P35-DS3 Rev. 2 / F14

X-Fi Music

HD 5770 1 GB

ST3250410AS

Ingame:

TexQuality=1;

TexMemory=1;

shadingQuality=10;

shadowQuality=2;

maxSamplesPlayed=64;

sceneComplexity=300000;

viewDistance=2000;

terrainGrid=25;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=0;

postFX=5;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=2;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

without beta I can load extension mods like ace and other islands.

With beta I can only have arma 2 as extension, nothing else is available.

Just had a night of MP games on Takistan and Zargabad.

General reactions from those playing was that OA was a huge improvement over Arma in terms of graphics and atmosphere. However we did find another couple of bugs...

1) Dead bodies disappear instantly. This is a bit of a showstopper for flag-based games since as soon as you shoot the flagrunner the flag returns to the pole ! CIT issue raised here.

2) Some sounds ('dry-fire' and 'hello') are broadcast to all players on the map. CIT issue raised here.

Dead bodies disappear instantly. This is a bit of a showstopper for flag-based games since as soon as you shoot the flagrunner the flag returns to the pole! CIT issue raised here.

God yes, total immersion killer seeing the foe you just dropped blink out of existence one second later. Couldn't understand why I'd not seen any other posts about this.

God yes, total immersion killer seeing the foe you just dropped blink out of existence one second later. Couldn't understand why I'd not seen any other posts about this.

That's because it's mission specific! The creator of the CTF mission made it that way- my guess it was to keep frame rate up.

You should make your own CTF mission or edit the one you were using and remove the script that removes the bodies.

It is my own mission, there are no scripts for body removal.

It is my own mission, there are no scripts for body removal.

Are you serious?! Then thats really really bad! :mad:

Were you using the Garbage Removal Module?

That's because it's mission specific! The creator of the CTF mission made it that way- my guess it was to keep frame rate up.

Wrong. :) In this case it was a mission based on my own scripts. True, respawn_delay is set to 1 second but that has never caused bodies to disappear before. These are scripts and missions which have worked perfectly for years in ArmA 2.

I havent seen anybody reporting the same error before, so:

With latest betapatch i cant aim around anymore without weapons. With a weapon in hand, anything is alright. Without a weapon (or with a grenade) the view is centered every second.... this is very annoying.

As already said, without betapatch, everything is okay.

I already tried to fix the problem, with ressetting keybindings, disconnect joystick and replacing every controller with another one ... with no success.

Maybe this is a new headbug^^

With latest betapatch i cant aim around anymore without weapons.

How do you "aim" without a weapon? With your finger? :D

Nah im kidding mate. I think i recall something similar last night when i tested an unarmed pilot. Remember my head flew back to center all the time.

How do you "aim" without a weapon? With your finger? :D

Sure! Dont you know the "AT Fingers of Doom Addon"? :yay:

Remember my head flew back to center all the time.

Jup, sounds like the same bug. I am trying to make a short video of it.

Can somebody else reproduce it by just starting beta and creating a unarmed person?

Confirmed.

The problem seems to be in the aiming deadzone. If you move the slider to the left, you can freely move.

But the more you move it to the right, the harder it is to turn while playing as an unarmed character.

Edited by Cole

If you move the slider to the left

I turned the slider totally left (no deadzone.... fps aiming) and have this error...

I turned the slider totally left (no deadzone.... fps aiming) and have this error...

Weird. It works okay for me if I disable the deadzone. Seems the problem is "deeper" than just the slider.

Just had a blast with the new beat that's meant to contain all the tweaks from ARMA 2 1.07.

I got to say I see no difference from 1.52 OA and beta much to my disappointment.

I did not seem to get the mega performance increase I did with the 1.07 patch in ARMA 2.

I'm sure it will be amended soon tho.

EDIT

ok there is some thing not right here there seems to be some thing holding it back and I cant put my finger on it just seems to slow down near villages a little is it the AI or AI civilians?.

I mean ARMA 2 now runs very well for me apart from the LOD system not being perfect saying that nor is it in OA still.

Edited by stk2008

I think the models for some of the buildings are the culprit for this stutter, judging by where I suffer from it. Seems to occur irrespective of the number of units on the map / how much action is going on / graphical settings.

They optimised the building models a great deal between A2 1.01 and 1.05. People early on were suggesting that polygons weren't closed and the such like. I think BIS'll need to do the same again.

Im not going to worry to much as I am sure BIS will fix it was just hoping to start the campaign soon but don't want to if a new patch is coming soon with some luck :P.

I seem to get that performance hit to near villages etc even with hardly any units so it must be some thing along them lines.

Same here, just walking near a group of buildings causes a noticeable drop in FPS. Not even big groups of structures, just a handful of them are enough to cause a drop.