Sign in to follow this  
Flubadoo

Bad reload animations?

Hence it being more ridiculous, it was a joke.

For starters i'd like to see specific reload times for diferent weapon types, its a bit wrong that you can reload a belt fed machinegun in 2 seconds, on the run... just as fast as you can reload a magazine fed rifle.

The way the game works would make it next to impossible to make very detailed 1st person animations but if they atleast made diferent ones for diferent weapon types it would look alot better (bolt action, magazine, belt fed, etc).

This is what I proposed, reloading is an escential part of using a weapon any noob could realize this.

They dont all have to have their own real counterpart animations but it would be nice to put the hand on a bolt when using it, and feeding a belt fed MG likewise.

One of the drawbacks of rendering a free body I guess instead of a pair of hands.

@Cole

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe they could make some great DLC and put the funds towards making some animations.

You'd only really need 3:

-Box-fed Machine Guns

-Magazine-fed Rifles

-Clip-fed bolt-action Rifles

Not to mention that Pistols have their own unique reload animations, because they have their own unique animations. So all you'd need to do for more reload animations for those above mentioned categories is copy-paste the moving etc.. anims and just change out the reloading.

There'd only be like two special cases that I can think of that don't sit in any category - the Sa61 Scorpion and M1014 JSCS.

personally I think making Launcher assembly animations like the ones already in Dragon crap is deffinetly worth the effort.

launchers seem way too Overpowered, fast switch, fast targeting, no preperation needed.

@Panzer Jager

the animations would be a gigantic task because of the amount of weapons in Arma 2 and Arrowhead, BIS work could go towards fixing some of the engines finest bugs or putting new engine features in.

have proper documentation and tools available regarding RTMs, i am sure some modder would take the task sooner or later ;) cough

prb solved

Yes, reload animations are sucky since the start.

BIS have technology enough to do it right. Hope they find the correct reload animations inspiring enough for the awesome simulation.

the animations would be a gigantic task because of the amount of weapons in Arma 2 and Arrowhead

3 animations for a specific event is nothing compared to how many animations most games have.

As I said I'd recommend only 3 categories of animations - not a new animation for EVERY gun. A system like we have now - there is seperate animations for Pistols as opposed to Rifles. So how about seperate animations between all MGs and all Rifles, where they use all the same animations EXCEPT for reloading - this is not alot of work considering that each weapon within it's category will have the same reload (all MGs will reload the same but it will be different animation than all Rifles.) 3 new animations is not alot considering if you look at a game like Left 4 Dead 2, there are more than 4 animations for EACH weapon and there is alot of weapons. Making 3 animations total will take less manpower than making 4 animations for each weapon which even then is apparently feasible during development.

Just saying, to people who say that BIS can't do it, they're wrong. Why can't BIS do a little extra work? Judging by their support to the community they always have done tons in the past, so they'd be very able to do 3 animations.

Edited by Panzer Jager

Just saying, to people who say that BIS can't do it, they're wrong. Why can't BIS do a little extra work? Judging by their support to the community they always have done tons in the past, so they'd be very able to do 3 animations.

I'm sure it's not that they can't do it, but they don't have any incentive to do it. Remember, BIS can't do everything at once, and so they have to set priorities. Animations will just have to wait their turn.

I'm sure it's not that they can't do it, but they don't have any incentive to do it. Remember, BIS can't do everything at once, and so they have to set priorities. Animations will just have to wait their turn.
That's a better argument than the other ones I've been recieving. But, if they do plan some animation updates, or atleast update some hand positions, that'd be great. Critical bugs first, no doubt :)

To the entire reloading animations:

To me the animation seems to be correct, i.e slapping the charger release/mag release, putting in a new mag, etc

RH's M4/M16 pack includes a mag sliding in which helps depict the proper reload.

But its only proper for tactical reloads, not dry reloads, if I could afford the motion capturing assets I would attempt it using my AR-15.......but it would only be the M4 and M16 anims...

Well, first, it's probably really expensive to hire the actors, use the equipment, etc..

FPSBanana for animators ftw.:yay:

I really have never seen any really good 3rd person animations for guns in any game other than Bad Company 1 + 2 though. So BIS gets a free pass for that.

cock dick shit dragon rising fuck tits cunt codemasters

Lol at the Dragon Rising two words, but I have played that game, and multiplayer is pretty much "if you are marksman, you win the game"

-And china ain't got no marksmen :(

+0.1 internetz to you.:D

My experiences animating for ArmA has been no fun at all. If there was some tool that had some instructions and used the 3ds max biped or allowed me to create an XSI rig, I would be far more likely to produce something. When I got out of school I had the intention of animating something, but creating models is time consuming enough and even without community tools there is a straight workflow from whatever modeling program and O2.

I don't mind the animations much, but the reloading times are unrealistically too short. It's always faster to reload than pull out your sidearm.

Yes and no. For sidearm, what's bothering me is how long it takes to draw, which makes it unrealistically slow. Reloading assault weapons seems ok enough for me. Keep in mind that you really don't want to give sidearm to any AI (bugs are too extreme).

For light automatic weapons, I don't know. Maybe a little too fast, but really not a big issue. They're supposed to be farily effective with what they do. But for M240s and above, I find reload time way too quick. And at least in Arma2 you could still reload M240 and M249 while on the move, not sure if this is fixed in OA, probably not (ACE made it better).

But for multi launch unguided rocket launchers (SMAW, MAAWS), reload times (and anims) are way too short. It should be something like what it was in OFP DR actually. Remember in real life you normally require another man to load the damned thing - too convenient here, but I'm not sure if two man requirement would be the way to go.

For multi launch guided missile launchers (Javelin, Dragon, Stinger, Metis), reload times and anims should be even greater. Maybe something similar to the medic animations that can be broken out of. Javelins are used "for close protection" for heavens sake, because "the game lets them". It takes time to setup the system ready to fire, and this should be reflected ingame somehow.

I don't care so much about "how it looks", the tactical "how it feels" is the kicker for me.

I checked it out a little:

Reload time in Arma2 for ANY launcher: 4 sec (insanity).

Real life values:

RPG-7 14 sec. (ref some army material, but unknown if this is one or two operators).

MAAWS 10 sec. (for two trained operators).

Metis: 15-20 sec.

Javelin: Several minutes before first launch (CLU issue), but not wanted in a game.

Stinger: 3-7 seconds (okay, that surprised me a lot, but does that include first shot preparations?)

SMAW: Unknown, but I expect 10-15 seconds for a trained crew, or something similar to MAAWS. For an untrained crew... Well, look for yourselves :D

uhcytf0gRx4

So, what do I want?

* 5 second preparation time for one shot rocket launchers like M136 and RPG18 (and make them true one shot launchers like ACE, without ammo).

* 15 second preparation and reload time for multi shot rocket launchers like SMAW, MAAWS, and RPG-7. May seem high, but most are usually not carried around in a ready-to-fire state, like they are in Arma.

* 30 second preparation and reload time for multi shot AT missile launchers like Metis, Dragon and Javelin. (Is Dragon a rocket or a missile?)

* 10 second preparation and reload time for multi shot AA missile launchers like Stinger and Strela.

Or, if they can be obtained, custom preparation and reload times per weapon. Not sure how that complicates animation system or how bad it would affect AIs performance with them (quite low already regarding ability to stay alive).

not only the reload animation is bad, all the pistol related animation is a rubbish and the way soldier holding on to the front hand grip just makes me faceplam

not only the reload animation is bad, all the pistol related animation is a rubbish and the way soldier holding on to the front hand grip just makes me faceplam

yeah all that stuff could've been touched up in OA, I really hate the hand clipping through the weapons.

Game needs more collision properties for the hand, and not being able to look down at the ground and look through a wall sort of stuff... Its not like the cpu load isnt already super high might as well toss that onto the load. :j: