Sign in to follow this  
Flubadoo

Bad reload animations?

Even games that have separate first-person and third-person perspectives (i.e., all other FPS games) usually manage to have better third-person reload animations (the animation you see others using) than the utter crap that has been in the ArmA series since OFP v. 1.0.

The excuses that fans try to make for this are astounding, but the fact of the matter is that OFP used an outdated animation system when it came out in 2001, and ArmA II:OA is still using the same core system, which is archaic at this point. It would be very hard to have good-looking reload animations in ArmA II, but that's because the animation system is crap and needs to be overhauled completely.

I completely disagree with both of your points. Some of the weapons in ArmA2 (and OA) have some really detailed reload anims. Most games don't even animate any parts of the weapon in 3rd person, just the arms waving around like it was in OFP... which brings me to the next point. The animation system has actually been greatly improved since OFP. Sure it can be better, but I'm sure that's something we'll have to wait for in a future iteration of the engine (RV4+). I do agree that it would be hard to create really good looking animations, but it's certainly not impossible, it's just a lot of work.

Animations really is the worst part all Arma games except for the bugs. (Never played OFP)

Animations really is the worst part all Arma games except for the bugs. (Never played OFP)

Still, I can't understand how you can say that. With ArmA2 the animations are really detailed, and IMO they look fantastic. Far better than most of the games I've played. And the RV engines unique 1st person/3rd person modelling is certainly vastly superior to the traditional approach (arms and a gun glued to your screen, no collision, nothing) in terms of realism and immersion.

Still, it would be nice to see that bolt on the lee-enfield animated, and an appropriate hand gesture to play between shots. :butbut:

For starters i'd like to see specific reload times for diferent weapon types, its a bit wrong that you can reload a belt fed machinegun in 2 seconds, on the run... just as fast as you can reload a magazine fed rifle.

The way the game works would make it next to impossible to make very detailed 1st person animations but if they atleast made diferent ones for diferent weapon types it would look alot better (bolt action, magazine, belt fed, etc).

Even games that have separate first-person and third-person perspectives (i.e., all other FPS games) usually manage to have better third-person reload animations (the animation you see others using) than the utter crap that has been in the ArmA series since OFP v. 1.0.

Last time I checked, most games nowadays don't even make the clip come out of the gun when someone reloads in 3rd person... ARMA 2 does it.. sure its clunky, but at least it does it. A clunky animation IMO looks better than someone rubbing the magazine on their gun.

The way the game works would make it next to impossible to make very detailed 1st person animations but if they atleast made diferent ones for diferent weapon types it would look alot better (bolt action, magazine, belt fed, etc).

It actually wouldn't be that difficult at all. You'd just have to sit there one and one by one make all the different animations for each of the weapons. It's extremely time consuming and in BI's case expensive, so it's not a priority for them. It's certainly not impossible to do though.

It actually wouldn't be that difficult at all. You'd just have to sit there one and one by one make all the different animations for each of the weapons. It's extremely time consuming and in BI's case expensive, so it's not a priority for them. It's certainly not impossible to do though.

Wich makes my sugestions a good compromise :) .

I think the reload animation is OK, but it would be really nice to see at least one more animation for MGs and one for bolt action rifles.

Don't know why is it such a problem for BIS when they have a mocap studio.

I think the reload animation is OK, but it would be really nice to see at least one more animation for MGs and one for bolt action rifles.

Don't know why is it such a problem for BIS when they have a mocap studio.

Well, first, it's probably really expensive to hire the actors, use the equipment, etc..

Second, even with mocap it still takes time and effort to get them into the game, and then there's the tedious process of configuring them. Have you looked at the CfgMoves lately? It's a nightmare.

Also, the more complex the animation system for the weapons would be, the lesser nice weaponry addons you will get because it will be much harder to animate everything etc. If i can choose between a ton of weapons with not that great animations and the usual 10 weapons you get in other games with better animations, ill take quantity over quality this time (and that doesnt mean that BIS weapons are not quality, actually even in the other games the reload animations are funny e.g. in CS:Source reloading the m4 and sliding the gas pump instead of the bolt lol :)

Maybe they could at least fix the hand position on the guns.

Some weapons arn't even being held with the left thumb or hand, they're just sitting in mid air. Examples include the KSVK, VSS, AKS-74, Dragunov, and Saiga 12k.

The AKS-74, Saiga 12k, and VSS all look nice when using the same hand animation as the AK-74 and AKM, which can be done fairly easily by just adding a single line in into a weapon cfg, but the KSVK and Dragunov are messed up (Dragunov with camo cover isn't noticable, it's the normal SVD that you can see isn't held properly.) The M107 *was* messed up in ArmA2 but thank the lord that they added a decent hand-postion for it in Operation Arrowhead.

Please note that I think it's only the new, basic AKS-74 which has an improper hand. The other AKS-74 which have attached sights etc... are all fine, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Panzer Jager

It would be nice, but is it really going to help BIS ship that many more copies of their game to justify the use of their resources?

It would be nice, but is it really going to help BIS ship that many more copies of their game to justify the use of their resources?

I don't know, was adding a proper ironsight to the Makarov in the last patch a beneficial sales decision that helped to sell more copies? Plus as I said you could fix 3 of those weapons by just changing their animation to the AKM's which can take a whopping 30 seconds and bam you've got an extra thing done for a next patch.

I don't know, was adding a proper ironsight to the Makarov in the last patch a beneficial sales decision?

Yea, but that probably didn't cost nearly as much.

I have no doubt that BIS will eventually improve the reload animations. Right now though, it's probably not one of their priorities. All we can do is make CIT requests, cross our fingers and wait patiently. :bounce3:

hand animation DLC might be an interesting alternative for them then.

hand animation DLC might be an interesting alternative for them then.

Can you imagine the endless bombrun of pure hate that would land on this forum if they did that?

"OMG MAEKINK US PAI FOR ANIMASHUNZ!!!!LSDKjfgl"

You mean like the panic that ensued from the very mention of DLC that covered well over 20 pages of the OA discusion, going in circles before creating it's own thread and doing the same?

Oh I'm sure but at the same I know many would be happy to see it anyway, and there is no force of hand other than the desire of 'want', if it really PO'd them that much they wouldn't HAVE to buy it.

Well I definitely would be happy to see it, I'd gladly pay for it, but seeing all the comments of

"omg how unfair is it that he has detailed reload anims and I have this magic hand waving wtf!!! never gonna buy another bis game idiots duhhhhh"

with these swear words randomly spread out in the comment (18+ content ahead):

cock dick shit dragon rising fuck tits cunt codemasters

Would really give me the urge to search up every single poster and plant satchel charges under his house.

Then most likely nothing of value was lost if they would complain like that.

Pretty simple, you have it or you don't, you pay for it or you don't, BIS needs money, things like that could be a great substitute, improving the game, giving the people what they want and making some money in the process.

Edited by NodUnit

Then most likely nothing of value was lost if they would complain like that.

Pretty simple, you have it or you don't, you pay for it or you don't, BIS needs money, things like that could be a great substitute, improving the game, giving the people what they want and making some money in the process.

101% agreed.

The question is however, if BIS made an animation based DLC, would it sell enough to make up for the costs of producing it?

How about physics DLC, is that a more ridiculous idea? :p

That would require a new game engine.

not new, just make modifications to actual one.

Physics DLC is fantasy, though. That would totally break almost anything. For example: one guy in MP throws a nade and it bounces off a wall nicely, because he would have this DLC. The other guy, running just arrowhead, would throw a nade, it'd hit the wall and drop down to it... and that applies to almost anything.