Sign in to follow this  
Azamato

Will I be disappointed again?

Hello,

As some of you will know when i got ArmA 2 i was very upset because i'm more of a single player campaign type of gamer so i got here and started complaining :p

When I've heard about OA and the fact that it would have a better campaign I got excited but I dont want to "waste" another 30 Euros on it if its the same as ArmA 2..

why I didnt like ArmA 2

- Bad campaign (the first 3 levels were good then it's downhill)

- The MP browser.. you join and you don't know what to do etc..

why I liked ArmA 2

- downloaded some campaigns and missions that were good

So please help me should I go for the OA expansion (was actually planning on buying it but just to be sure)

A lot of people have said that the campaign is much better than ArmA II's. I think that it is slightly shorter but I think that it has a high replaybility factor.

If you don't buy it you will never know will you?

There could be hundreds of people on here saying 'buy it, it's fantastic' because in their eyes it gives you exactly what it says on the tin.. then you get it and think its crap.. it's all subjective and your preferences may be totaly different to the hundreds that love it..

Buy it and have done with it.. if you don't like it you can ebay it, believe me there will be others that will snap your hand off..

just buy it it's 20 euros

what he said :rolleyes:

I'm only 4 missions in, but so far I can confidently say so far it's a lot better than Harvest Red. It has a lot more polish, and is well structured. No obvious bugs either, and (so far) no Warfare (thank god).

- The MP browser.. you join and you don't know what to do etc..

...read the briefing and tasks at the mission screen when you join in? All of which is accessible at anytime? Ask the other players in the server? If they are not the living dead someone should say something.

Don't buy it for the campaign. Editor (and from what I hear, online) is where it's at.

I have never played a campaign from start to finish, OFP through ArmA2

This is still my favorite game series.

I have never played a campaign from start to finish, OFP through ArmA2

This is still my favorite game series.

Everytime someone asks about the campaign, there is always someone who says this. Not busting, but I just think it's funny. Like this is an automated spam generator that searches for the word "campaign" in these forums.

- The MP browser.. you join and you don't know what to do

Well, if you are unable to read what it says in your screen, then I would dare to say that you will be disappointed.

The campaign is much better in OA. There are infantry, armor, and air missions that use all the new features, and there is one warfare mission. My only complaint is that you can finish the campaign fast, and I mean really fast. The actual number of missions isn't much shorter than Arma 2's but there are no longer the drawn out "search for this guy/ambush this car" type objectives. You won't have to wander around the countryside on foot as much and objectives are more straightforward.

For example, without spoiling very much, one mission puts you about half a kilometer away from an objective, you go there, complete it, and are taken by helicopter almost immediately to the next objective that can be completed in less than 5 minutes. Mission over. So the campaign feels significantly shorter than that of the first game but is still a lot of fun. As a standalone product it doesn't have that initial wow factor that Arma 2 had but combined with the original it's definitely worth the money for the new content and features.

I was really hoping they'd move forward with the dynamic branching mission style of Manhatten in Arma II.

As fun as straight forward missions can be, they aren't so much if there aren't 40 of them like in OFP:CWC.

Red Harvest was short on missions, but the 3-4 dynamic missions in the middle really helped the length and fun factor IMO. I figured that style was the future for Bohemia in mission creation as it was so open, immersive, and new (relatively speaking in regards to military shooters).

Edited by bonchie

I was really hoping they'd move forward with the dynamic branching mission style of Manhatten in Arma II.

As fun as straight forward missions can be, they aren't so much if there aren't 40 of them like in OFP:CWC.

Red Harvest was short on missions, but the 3-4 dynamic missions in the middle really helped the length and fun factor IMO. I figured that style was the future for Bohemia in mission creation as it was so open, immersive, and new (relatively speaking in regards to military shooters).

THIS.

The single campaign is the most important aspect of the series for me. I think ARMA2´s Manhattan, Bitter Chill and Badlands missions are simply awesome in design, being the most atmospheric experiences I had in the genre (I heard someone calling Manhattan "Oblivion with guns", and I agree). And the original Flahspoint campaign is one of the most epic and immersive Ive had in a computer game.

Knowing the campaign in OA dont follows neither approach is a huge letdown for me.

P.S: I would like to make clear that, despite loving the campaign in ARMA2, I found that last mission ( Dogs of War ? ) simply too huge, turning into a chore to play. In my opinion, the mission "Badlands" could have been the game´s last one.

Edited by vini_lessa

Who made the campaign for OFP and Resistance? Red Hammer wasn't as good as they were, however it still was better than Arma2 campaign. BIS seriusly try to recreate those campaigns, study them or something. I played through them for god knows how many times with different FFURS and other mods, ah good times. They were hard as hell, I always was the only survivor. But they had great story, (not the complete picture but more of the character story I would say) atmosphere, re-playability, fun etc.

Man just remembering them I want to play through them again :yay: .

OA campaign was good (kind of) but not OFP good. It had different missions for different people but why don't I remember any of it's characters? I still remember David Armstrong, that tank guy who was calling his tank mister abrams, and the blackhawk pilot that wondered why they gave him an attack chopper. I think the new campaigns lack notes. Well there are mission notes but they have the same info as the tasks and description. OFP notes were the characters describing their feelings, situations and so on.

I know the campaigns aren't the main focus in BIS games. But I still didn't learn more about the editor than setting some random waypoints and blasting some enemies, couldn't even make the enemy have reinforcements, so the campaigns still remain one of the main fun for me and some other people.

I take it by "old briefing" you mean the OFP/ArmA style? (Arma 2 had the same briefing style as OA)

Personally I like the new style. It's a lot more flexible than the old one, and you don't need to know HTML in order to make a briefing. However, it's a bit silly that BIS still require a briefing.html file in order for the briefing screen to be shown before the mission starts and to have a debriefing...

I take it by "old briefing" you mean the OFP/ArmA style? (Arma 2 had the same briefing style as OA)

Personally I like the new style. It's a lot more flexible than the old one, and you don't need to know HTML in order to make a briefing. However, it's a bit silly that BIS still require a briefing.html file in order for the briefing screen to be shown before the mission starts and to have a debriefing...

Yeap, i liked the format, navigation and the fact that it looked like.. something, it just looked nice next to the map.

Don't buy it for the campaign. Editor (and from what I hear, online) is where it's at.

Yea online is a big part of this game that would make it to have unlimited replay value.

You're losing substantial value of ArmA if you don't play it online.

Never mind losing the game or losing the kill tally just have some fun online pretending you're a soldier with other fellow soldiers.

Yeap, i liked the format, navigation and the fact that it looked like.. something, it just looked nice next to the map.

What I really miss about the briefings since ArmA (OFP had it) are the personal notes. In Flashpoint, you were much more personally connected to the people you played. David Armstrong wasn't huge as a character during missions, but the personal notes he made in the briefing sold you the character (that, and the cutscenes).

I miss that aspect in ArmA and follow-ups. ArmA's campaign didn't even have characters, you only played generic dudes without name or face. ArmA 2 was better in that respect, but still the characters seemed flat and nondescript.

That isn't even saying I disliked the campaigns. I just liked OFP's (and Resistance) more since they had a very personal touch. You suffered with the characters when they failed.

Everytime someone asks about the campaign, there is always someone who says this. Not busting, but I just think it's funny. Like this is an automated spam generator that searches for the word "campaign" in these forums.

Hahahaha :D But it's true, same goes for me.

Although I think (don't kill me) that I did actually finish the ArmA1 campaign ... But I don't remember what happened.

Hahahaha :D But it's true, same goes for me.

Although I think (don't kill me) that I did actually finish the ArmA1 campaign ... But I don't remember what happened.

Arma1 campaign cant be compared to the rest of the series. Its totally crap.

Maybe the modern theater has come past the point where orders where in enclosed envelopes and shipped by horse courier? :p Personally I like the new system, even better than the old notebook.

As for personal notes, thats just about writing them I guess.

OFP was the only campaign I ever really enjoyed, never finished ArmA, in fact put that game disk in a very dark place and never looked at it again and the ArmA2 campaign was just too buggy for me, I have more confidence in community built missions and campaigns than the boxed ones.