Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

OA Campaign: 05 Open Seasons - suddenly ends ("failed")

This has happened to me many times. I still haven't legitimately beat the mission. I originally moved beyond it in the campaign by getting shot down right away in my very first attempt at it. Flying the Apache is so much fun though that I keep loading this mission up to try and complete all the objectives at least once. I just never have enough hellfires though and the mission inevitably ends during one of my many repair and rearming runs. :mad: I'll still keep trying because the Apache is so bad ass, but this game is really turning into an abusive relationship for me with all these mission and AI quirks... :rolleyes:

Sometimes the ammo truck won't rearm, one time I got out and moved the truck a little closer and it started working.

The ULB goes spastic sometimes and won't level out it just keeps wobbling and you can't track a hellfire to the target. I really wish there was some sort of zoom to the ULB optics, if you get too low it gets shot down and if you fly too high you can't see the target (draw distance is too short).

The 45 minute timer doesn't help much either, maybe I suck at flying the Apache but it takes quite a while to get back, land and rearm (hopefully) then get into position to fire the missiles.

I rate this mission four out of five Ughs!! :(

You can zoom in the ULB optics with the numpad + and -

Would be really good if BIS could actually tell us the conditions which could cause the mission to fail. I had gotten very far in this level when it ended, and of course I had no idea why and had to completely restart it again. At no point was i told that we have to finish the mission within a set amount of time, so naturally i didn't rush the mission and took my time putting safety before speed.

yeah I hate the time limits for certain objectives in some of the missions...especially when they don't let you know beforehand. I hit the 45 minute limit first time playing even though I thought I was tearing them up but I just hadn't taken out the AA yet. Have also had it end when shutting off the engine to rearm but not always...and had it say I was shot down but survived (success) when actually I kinda crash landed on a house near the base or erm well I turned the engine off by mistake at low altitude.

but anyway you can hack it out of the mission.fsm file...search for the two instances of "time > _t + 2700" and change the 2700 seconds (45 minutes) to 27000 or whatever seems to work...

I also dont like the Time limit. I have not been able to figure out what I need to do on mission 5 with the ULB. I will keep trying though its very frustrating.

Where can I find the file for mission 5 i mean the .fsm file? I have Arrowhead installed as part of STEAM and cannot find it to change the time limit as suggested by a previous post on this topic.

Please help.

I too have got to a point where im damaged, made my "second" return to base after destroying AA and first objective (I passed on diverting to destroy convoy) to sort myself out, as I landed it ended mission as failed just as first poster mentioned.

Im thinking its a bug that might show up depending on what task is complete and how many times you have RTB'd to sort out fuel and such, maybe if you hit the right criteria you hit the bug, I certainly did.

Maybe try the mission, do the first objective, then RTB ... go back out and then with ULB do second objective with AA (but pass on the convoy option) then once AA is done,RTB ... does it end mission then? These steps are what I had taken and it happened.

BTW time limits for me kill enjoyment, just smacks of scripted/rinse and repeat ... I tend to shy away from that type of game-play. I like to take TIME to plan :) I admit it adds tension and there are situations you would be under pressure to do something, but I just dont like those things in missions that much. Its good if its timed and it doesn't have direct effect on if the mission completely fails that's what frustrates me the most.

Edited by mrcash2009

Im having a issue locking on targets with the hellfire...It'll lock on when I use the missles or the 30mm but not the hellfires, any help?

I had this once after taking my sweet time disabling that AA with ULB assistance. When I was assigned to assault the defense line I decided to rearm first and then the objective failed for no reason before I could reach the FOB.

@ victim913 you can display ammo count by switching to manual fire.

@ kalshnutz you must destroy all enemies at the defense line. I was stuck for a while as well because I simply missed one of the tanks sitting there with its engines off, making it hard to spot in FLIR. Make sure no red dots are left, and then look carefully for any vehicles still about. mostly tanks. when all are destroyed you get an order to RTB and the mission ends after that.

If you really cannot find the last enemies use the endmission cheat. I forgot how to execute it but you should be able to google it easily.

Really great mission. Will play again and fail to get the rescue the pilot assigntment as well. Great campaign overall, good job BIS :)

One of the best air missions I played so far. But for me it suddenly ended and said that the mission was failed. :mad:

After destroying the convoy (optional objective) I took the ULB and went into the red bubble destroying AA positions and suddenly the mission ended saying that it was failed (debriefing). Huuhh??

I was flying with the ULB in the west section of the red bubble when this happened. No idea what happened.

I don't remember what the debriefing said but it definitely wasn't the case. Nothing happened, the Apache wasn't destroyed (at least I believe it), anything.

Any idea? Or did anyone experience this too?

I had the same thing happen 3 times now all at different points, once while destroying the AA with ULB, once while refueling/rearm/repair at FOB, and once while taking out targets along their defensive line.

Its as if there is a time limit but it says nothing about it in the briefing before the mission.

I took the convoy mission and I never needed to RTB. What were you guys firing your missiles at?

I took the convoy mission and I never needed to RTB. What were you guys firing your missiles at?

Firing missiles at the AA guns, then using whatever you have left (or rearm) and clear the defensive line. Thats what your supposed to do....Objectives were:

Take out the base you see at the start (sorry forget what that comes up as)

Take out optional enemy convoy

Clear enemy AA guns using ULB

Clear defensive line

RTB - Mission over with everything completed.

Not sure exactly what you mean by taking convoy mission but if your saying you took out the convoy and then mission was over then you too have ended the mission early and missed most of the action in this mission.

It's definitely the time limit that causes it to end. I've been through it a few more times since and hurried along and managed to get all objectives completed and RTB. It's a little annoying though because no time limit is specified in the briefing and there really seems to be no good reason to have the time limit apart from higher difficulty setting. I dont like having all missions with some silly time limit, sure on some where my actions determine what another group is doing then I can accept the time limit, for example when taking the mine while another group is taking the town. Also for a game like ArmA which is supposed to be about thinking rather than speed I find it annoying to be given unnecessary time limits.

As one other poster said, when I did this mission I was going for safety/accuracy over speed. I took out the optional convoy, nailed the AA guns first shot and even took out the patrolling guards and their vehicles around the AA guns, went back to base to rearm/refuel before heading to the defensive line, had most of the defensive line cleared when the mission just suddenly ended, with no explanations as to why.

Also both ULB were still working fine, I initially had troubles with the ULB because after I finished using it I'd send it back to base and kept wondering why it would then crash. Figured out that when I change my altitude the ULB was moving with me, if it was already at a lower altitude it would basically hit the ground but I'd get a message stating it was shot down, WRONG, it was at same location as rearm/refuel trucks so the message confused me for a while. I ended up having to take the ULB back to base and manually land it. There should be a way to hand back control of the ULB to base so they can take care of that for me.

On a side note I read a post or two saying they didn't enjoy OA as much because majority of missions aren't infantry as in ArmA2 vanilla. I actually liked the change in OA and the fact almost all missions involved driving tanks/helis etc instead of foot infantry. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the original ArmA2 and all the foot missions, but OA was a nice change and I think the right move from BI to offer something totally different and get people using all the different aspects of ArmA. I think ArmA is now a better game with all 3 campaigns (Harvets Red, EW, and OA) each offering something quite different. Although I had to redo this mission a few times I really enjoyed it so I didn't really mind having to redo, I'm sure I'll be replaying it many more times.

Gotta say though in later missions the AI driving in OA still sucks, crazy driving, beyond even being drunk.

Edited by Engioc

I did all the same stuff as you. Outpost, Convoy, AA Guns, Defensive line. I never had to go back to rearm.

I used one Hellfire on the convoy, one on the shilka, two on the Missile launcher (1st didn't take it out), 3 on tanks. I might have had one left. If I didn't I have no idea what I used it on. I used my cannon or my FFARs on everything else although I don't remember using my FFARs really. Maybe on the outpost. I never found the enemy command post though I don't think.

I did lose one ULB though because it hit a couple of small trees on the mountain side. I'm not sure why.

I did all the same stuff as you. Outpost, Convoy, AA Guns, Defensive line. I never had to go back to rearm.

I used one Hellfire on the convoy, one on the shilka, two on the Missile launcher (1st didn't take it out), 3 on tanks. I might have had one left. If I didn't I have no idea what I used it on. I used my cannon or my FFARs on everything else although I don't remember using my FFARs really. Maybe on the outpost. I never found the enemy command post though I don't think.

I did lose one ULB though because it hit a couple of small trees on the mountain side. I'm not sure why.

In the end I probably didn't need the rearm either but on first run through I did that simply because I had no idea how many units I'd find on the defensive line so I thought I'd make sure I had everything I could carry. Plus I did note on some of the runs through I've done then and since where the number of units I found along the defensive line seemed to change, sometimes just the 3 tanks was enough, other times I had to also take out units near the other two bunkers before the mission ended which obviously means more time and weapons. I guess the different experiences highlights how dynamic the battle field can be in ArmA which is one of the great things about this game, seems you can do the same mission many times over and get slightly different results.

II guess the different experiences highlights how dynamic the battle field can be in ArmA which is one of the great things about this game, seems you can do the same mission many times over and get slightly different results.

Very true. I died the first time. Crashed but survived the second and then beat the campaign. Went back the other day because I wanted to try out Sandstorm so I beat it this time. I think that there are only 3 tanks in the mission editor when I checked after beating it. I think there were some lighter armored vehicles sitting around though under camo nets too. I also know that when I played Hitman seemed to take out quite a bit.

Anyone else have a pants-on-head autopilot on the ULB? I just time-failed this mission because most of my mission time was spent waiting for the ULB to stop flying around in small circles and actually go to the waypoint I specified for it. It seemed to happen at both high altitude and low. Anyone else having this problem? is there a way to fix it?

@ kalshnutz you must destroy all enemies at the defense line. I was stuck for a while as well because I simply missed one of the tanks sitting there with its engines off, making it hard to spot in FLIR. Make sure no red dots are left, and then look carefully for any vehicles still about. mostly tanks. when all are destroyed you get an order to RTB and the mission ends after that.

This just happened to me. I ran out of ammo and there were a few men lingering around here and there. I guess some of the T55s were just damaged and not completely destroyed but the crew bailed so... I guess I will cheat to end the mission.

I think there should be some sort of trigger where the mission ends based on force strength but I guess that's hard to make.

pfc zippy said, hack it out, I tried,

found the 2600 number in missions.pbo and missions baf.pbo.

But.... , after changing 2600 to 3600, game does not start anymore,

Error message; data file too short ( the 2 missions.pbo files)

Someone an idea ?? Because I hate that 45 min. limit, and I dont have

broadband for on-line play.

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problems with the mission ending. It seems like you need to do an awful lot very quickly to stand any chance of completing it successfully. It's a shame, because up until now I've really been enjoying the campaign, but this issue is really frustraing. I would like to complete the mission without having to crash land.

Someone prevously suggesting altering a .fsm file to change the time limit? I've tried but cannot find such a file. Can anyone offer some assistance in doing this?

I did a stupid thing. Used notepad to modify missions.pbo file.... OK, should try it with mission editor.I have to mess with the Countdown/Timeout Counters. Soon i will give it a try, but no experience with it. Bis, let us play around for hours in that chopper!

Anyone else have a pants-on-head autopilot on the ULB? I just time-failed this mission because most of my mission time was spent waiting for the ULB to stop flying around in small circles and actually go to the waypoint I specified for it. It seemed to happen at both high altitude and low. Anyone else having this problem? is there a way to fix it?

Heh had the same problem. Stupid ULB just won't stop flying in circles :rolleyes:

This game would be so much better if there weren't all those bugs... Mission Timer isn't a bug but it's still stupid. There was no warning, I did not even know why the mission failed so I definitely didn't want to try again. So what did I do? I restarted and crashed the chopper somewhere. That's the spirit!!!

Same on the One Week Later mission. I didn't know why the mission failed. I had to look on the forums to find out that you have to cripple your reinforcement so the chopper won't kill them. LOL

It's still a good game but I just can't stand things like that. It makes the game so nonprofessional... And there's also the AI, drives me nuts. Can path-finding really be so difficult? I mean 15 year old strategy games did it better. Both in 2D and 3D :-(

Edited by Ssential

It's still a good game but I just can't stand things like that. It makes the game so nonprofessional... And there's also the AI, drives me nuts. Can path-finding really be so difficult? I mean 15 year old strategy games did it better. Both in 2D and 3D :-(

I agree that the game is excellent, but sometimes the the bugs really detract from the overall experience. On the whole, so far, I've found operation arrowhead to be far less buggy than Harvest red which, frankly, had me pulling my hair out in places.

Back onto the "open season" mission. So far, it's my favourite but the 45 min time limit is a problem. If they increased it to 1 hour that would help a bit!

Just for this once, we've decided to be nice and raised the time limit to 90 minutes.

You can expect the new version in the next patch.

Just for this once, we've decided to be nice and raised the time limit to 90 minutes.

You can expect the new version in the next patch.

Sir, you've just made my day! ARMA2 is the best :)

thank you very much, Jezuro

from all poor b****rds without fast internet for mp

I'm just playing this mission, and gd, When I got back to rearm. My hellfires won't rearm everything else will. Is there something I need to do. Because the ULB is pretty worthless with out any hellfires, I used them all on the convoy, went back to rearm and they wont rearm. wtf!