Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

Enemy AI knows your position when you blow up satchel charges

Don't know if this is the right place for this but it seems to be a general bug / feature which is pretty annoying.

I ask myself if someone can confirm it.

I played the OA SP scenario Jackal where you have to blow up enemy tanks and stuff.

After having placed all satchels undetected I went back to the hills to calmly see the fireworks (keep in mind that the AI didn't see me at any moment!). Distance to the village: approx. 150 m.

Then, when I touched off the charges, suddenly a UAZ with a MG began to move and instantly killed me from this distance. WTF??

It seems that touching off satchel charges is the same for AI than shooting a AT weapon, which really is annoying.

If I am not mistaken, this bug is there since Arma 2 vanilla.

Edited by Undeceived

I believe the light from that massive explosion lets enemy detect you (especially when you are moving around)

Instead of watching stuff blow up I continued running, as soon as I got back into the darkness enemies lost my trail.

Can anyone from BIS or knowing modders confirm my theory about the lighting?

Ehm, I was in complete darkness in cover (by rocks) and 150m away from any enemy. No one could know that I was right there.

The lightning can certainly be excluded (at least in my case).

lol you guys did it the hard way.

1. east side guard towers eliminate them, you have a silenced rifle.

2. you have 2 satchels, blow up the crew quarters.

3. take out the troops (not to many bad guys in there), also make sure you have taken single shots at the street lamps to turn them off.

4.Then blow up the tanks. Theres an ammo crates conveniently provided for you.This also makes it easier to plant the bombs at the fuel station and base.

5. Make your way undetected to the extraction. Meet any bad guys avoid them your mission is to survive.

very easy.

Thats the way I did it.

Edited by Mastiff

Meh. I did 100% stealth walkthrough. 0 kills (at least with a gun, satchels are satchels)

Don't know if this is the right place for this but it seems to be a general bug / feature which is pretty annoying.

I ask myself if someone can confirm it.

I played the OA SP scenario Jackal where you have to blow up enemy tanks and stuff.

After having placed all satchels undetected I went back to the hills to calmly see the fireworks (keep in mind that the AI didn't see me at any moment!). Distance to the village: approx. 150 m.

Then, when I touched off the charges, suddenly a UAZ with a MG began to move and instantly killed me from this distance. WTF??

It seems that touching off satchel charges is the same for AI than shooting a AT weapon, which really is annoying.

If I am not mistaken, this bug is there since Arma 2 vanilla.

You're not mistaken. This IS a bug. Very annoying one.

This has been the case for ages it's like shooting the loudest gun in the universe and instantly all AI pinpoint your position.

Bug since OFP. Firing anything, AT launcher, satchel, whatever and the AI knows exactly where you are.. All of them. Always.

Create a ticket on the CIS and I'm sure BIS will look into it. :)

i noticed the same thing. I planted the satchel's then went up into the hills and let off the charges. Immediately after blowing the charges the AI opened fire on me on the hill.

I wonder if that happens if you set the timer? An option to set it for more than 30 seconds would be nice.

Anyone using more than 30 seconds is a pussy :D (*joke*)

And yes, the instant target AI is sometimes annoying. It's called 'knowsabout' issue, this command can be used inside scripts.

Basically a mission maker could use custom scripts to cancel out situations like the satchel problem, but its tricky.

I thought it was just me when this happened. I remember when I made a scenario where I was Delta Forces and we covertly picked off some patrols and set up a satchel at a weapons cache. When we were all to the edge of the hill 300m away, I thought "aw yeah" and stared at the fireworks until literally all of the guys at the village filled us with holes.

About Jackal mission, ere´s what i did:

Sneak east side without killing anyone.

Plant satchel under the tanks and in the other bonus objective.

Make your way still undetected to the gas station and put another one or two there.

Climb mountain in way to extraction

Turn of NV and blow up to see the hell :)

Nobody saw me, almost always in prone position and moving slowly. Takes longer, but works, after all it´s the right thing to do in a mission full of soldiers like that.

Did you try setting timer again? And again? And again? ... You get the picture :p

Yeah, but does that change their reaction?

Undeceived - 150m is a bit too close - you should sneak out till you reach the radio limit for blowing off satchels. ;)

I finished this mission without beeing detected. Maybe stealth missions arent your favourite sport? And yes I watched the fireworks and the AI reaction - they didnt notice + shoot at me. Go practice!

Bug since OFP. Firing anything, AT launcher, satchel, whatever and the AI knows exactly where you are.. All of them. Always.

I don't remember this problem ever being in OFP. I fired with ATs at tanks, blew up satchels, planted mines, etc from bushes or forests and AI had to look for me first - never instantly noticing me or not noticing me at all, provided the cover was good.

In AA1 it was a big problem however, yes.

Undeceived - 150m is a bit too close - you should sneak out till you reach the radio limit for blowing off satchels. ;)

I finished this mission without beeing detected. Maybe stealth missions arent your favourite sport? And yes I watched the fireworks and the AI reaction - they didnt notice + shoot at me. Go practice!

I did the same. Actually I heard like only one shot going my way, but I was continuing running, then I turned back to check with TWS and saw that two AIs that were running after me, were now trying to look for me elsewhere as if they lost me.

Then I've tried to blow up satchels from a much closer distance (about those 150m) - and yeah AIs noticed me and opened fire on me, but it didn't happen instantly (about 5 secs later, I also started running away) and they weren't able to hit me for quite a long time - I caught a lucky bullet only minutes later.

(I'm playing on Expert btw)

But if it is a bug, from which other missions suffer then of course fix it.

Edited by metalcraze

blah, I restarted jackal to see if I could blow up the gas station (two satchels inside it won't take it out...) when I got to the tanks, the guard instead of patrolling around was standing right in the middle of them. If I got within a certain distance he would run to me get in my face, wait a bit then kill me. If I killed him alarms would sound.

Very frustrating but fun mission. I didn't have the AI detect me when I blew satchels either btw, I've never experienced that problem in OFP or ARMA1.

You have to blow up the gas pump (it's in front of the gas station building). There are two guards standing in front of it. I managed to slowly crawl from behind as near as I thought would be needed, planted the bomb and crawled back. They don't detect you if you don't crawl too near of them.

One satchel is enough for the gas pump.