Sign in to follow this  
Hovis

Well so much for realistic equipment anyway...

You are thankfull that the aquisition of a rifle was canceled based on how it looks while the soldiers continue to field a 40 year old flawed weapon design that is likely to put their efficiency and safety at risk :confused: .

Hey, we use the SA80 over here, we're used to terrible weapons. :p

But seriously, although the SCAR is a good weapon, it does look stupid. Which is why I suggested the HK416/417 as a replacement, which is both efficient and safe, yet still manages to look better than a melted water pistol.

SA80 ftw!

But yeah in all seriousness, BIS can't be expected to remove them at a moments notice, and it would just be a waste of work to remove them, they did the same with the XM8, not used by the US but they stuck it in A2 anyway because they had made it.

Hey, we use the SA80 over here, we're used to terrible weapons. :p

But seriously, although the SCAR is a good weapon, it does look stupid. Which is why I suggested the HK416/417 as a replacement, which is both efficient and safe, yet still manages to look better than a melted water pistol.

hell is the SA80 is so bad the SAS refuse to use them and instead use the M16A1 and M16A2 o0 and the CAR-15 and colt commando

We've had M4s and M16s as the standard US weapons in all previous BIS games, it makes a nice change IMO. It's not as ridiculous as BF: Bad Company using a weapon that was cancelled ages ago...

It's easy enough for a mission designer to change anyway.

I greatly prefer having the SCAR-L and SCAR-H being used over the usual M4s and M16s. I've developed a case similar to the OFP times of seeing M4s and M16s so many times, just in different looks and variants. Remember all those OFP M4/M16 packs? :p

Having the SCARs brings a welcome and refreshing change, despite not being 100% realistic. It's also a plus that the models and textures for them are as fantastic as they are.

Pff, they should use the Swedish MKS.

I mean its the ugliest, most uncomfortable rifle ever designed, but its 5.56mm so what more could you want?

The stock looks a bit weird but other than that the FN SCAR looks rather simple, i like it.

The L85 is one of the ugliest rifles out there, G36 and famas too :crazy: .

I think BIS could have used M4's for the soldiers and HK416's for SF but i dont mind the SCAR.

I think most would disagree with your opinion of the apache and warthog though, atleast i do.

not sure about the Apache, though they are saying it's a flying heap of junk, but the saying about the Warthog being so ugly it only stays in the air because the earth doesn't want it back isn't from me. ;)

I think BIS could have used M4's for the soldiers and HK416's for SF but i dont mind the SCAR.

:yeahthat:

That would have made sense. At least it's easy enough to change ourselves :)

I'd much rather they set it in Afghanistan/Pakistan or some other real location instead of changing the name, and the weapons I think detract from the realism somewhat. They're small details, but they kind of annoy me.

Hopefully ACE will remedy this :)

I'm really, really bloody glad that I finally get to see something else than M16/M4 rifles on Blufor troops.

Thank you, Bohemia.

And I don't mind if it's not 'realistic'. All these rifles exist, so it's perfectly fine to use them in a videogame. Especially in an alternate reality.

Pff, they should use the Swedish MKS.

its 5.56mm so what more could you want?

You've answered your own question there :rolleyes: But seriously - as has already been mentioned (I hope), the Mk. 16 was deemed too cost ineffective and insufficiently advantageous over existing equipment to be worth spending lots of money on. That money has been partly diverted to buying Mk. 17s of various flavours that do offer something quite different (the flexibility of the SCAR with a larger round). Infact this is a hot topic at the moment.

As for the game - there is no harm having them in. You could also ask why they aren't using the XM25s (ok - they're being tested in limited quanitities in Afghan) or Bradley Linebackers.

Edited by n00b1

I haven't played the game enough to have played with them yet. That's awesome :p

I'd have thought the SEALs would have wanted M416's they seem like the most suitable weapons for them.

As for the SCAR, if they return I'd expect the various special forces to want the MK17 7.62 variant for longer ranges and more stopping power considering their current combat zones.

I'd have thought the SEALs would have wanted M416's they seem like the most suitable weapons for them.

As for the SCAR, if they return I'd expect the various special forces to want the MK17 7.62 variant for longer ranges and more stopping power considering their current combat zones.

Yeah. US SOCOM has diverted a lot of funding from the cancelled Mk. 16s into procuring Mk. 17s and Mk. 20s (basically the sharpshooter version of the Mk. 17).

Edited by n00b1