Sign in to follow this  
Hovis

Well so much for realistic equipment anyway...

So I fired up Arrowhead for the first time today, had a bit of a go with it and saw most of the US soldiers toting the SCAR-L rifle. The very recently cancelled and recalled SCAR-L rifle. D'oh. Shame they didn't warn BIS in time to give the troops M16s instead. :o

Still nice to have a change in game even if the actual US military is probably going to be using M16 variants for the next century. :)

It's in the future, isn't it? A revival of the SCAR-L is more likely than the universal adoption of the AK-107 by the Russian armed forces.

It's in the future, isn't it? A revival of the SCAR-L is more likely than the universal adoption of the AK-107 by the Russian armed forces.

True, but then it doesn't really matter what they are carry, just where they are. :D

Remeber folks these weapons are realistic! and we are playing in the Armaversum not the real world :) so anything is possible.

So I fired up Arrowhead for the first time today, had a bit of a go with it and saw most of the US soldiers toting the SCAR-L rifle. The very recently cancelled and recalled SCAR-L rifle. D'oh. Shame they didn't warn BIS in time to give the troops M16s instead. :o

Still nice to have a change in game even if the actual US military is probably going to be using M16 variants for the next century. :)

Why did the U.S. recall the SCAR-L?

Why did the U.S. recall the SCAR-L?

Recalled because of the logistical nightmare of running a small number of a weapon that requires different parts to the M4s and M16s and stuff that are the standard 5.56mm weapons. Why they didn't pick the weapon up in the first place, well apparently it was deemed to not be enough of an upgrade, so in short while it's meant to be better than the M4 etc, it's not better enough to be worth buying in.

I think BIS got something wrong because it was never intended to be a weapon for the normal grunt as the name already says (Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle).

It's generally a good idea to have it ingame for the SF but I actually don't know why the standard infantry is also equipped with it.

But I can live with it and the people who don't can use the remove- and addweapons thingy.

Well it is true that the SCAR is canceled but uh... do you expect that a game developer removes the SCARs from the game a couple of days before release just because in RL they have been canceled? No offense but I guess you don't know much about game development at all.

Besides that, like said already the game plays in the future and not in 2010 and no one knows what will be used then.

I personally don't like the SCARs in the hand of every regular soldier but hey that can be changed after all.

And no, BIS won't change that anymore. ;)

Recalled because of the logistical nightmare of running a small number of a weapon that requires different parts to the M4s and M16s and stuff that are the standard 5.56mm weapons. Why they didn't pick the weapon up in the first place, well apparently it was deemed to not be enough of an upgrade, so in short while it's meant to be better than the M4 etc, it's not better enough to be worth buying in.

Not exactly that, but the money could be better spent.

Well it is true that the SCAR is canceled but uh... do you expect that a game developer removes the SCARs from the game a couple of days before release just because in RL they have been canceled? No offense but I guess you don't know much about game development at all.

Besides that, like said already the game plays in the future and not in 2010 and no one knows what will be used then.

I personally don't like the SCARs in the hand of every regular soldier but hey that can be changed after all.

And no, BIS won't change that anymore. ;)

I don't expect them to change the guns. I never expected them to change the guns either. I just think it's funny (more in an ironic sense than a LOL sense) that in the same week the game comes out most of the weapons featured in it get canned.

Like you say though it's not like they can't all be changed anyway. Could start dishing out Stormtrooper Blaster Rifles to everybody if I could find where I left the .pbo for them. :)

so the grunts are running around with a canceled Rifle, nearly every shooter out there has a rifle in it that didn't make it into service with one army or another, COD every Ranger used the SCAR and in Bad Company 2 there using the XM8 Prototype. The Delta Force guys in Arrowhead use the Mk. 17 and thats not been canceled so whippy

Edited by Big-Rooney

If you're going to be picky about something like that, you might as well call BIS on the fact that Takistan isn't a real country, and the US Army never deployed there. Remember, it's an anternate reality, not this reality. The circumstances in ArmA2/OA are different than those of the real world...

nobody could have known that SOCOM would ditch the Mk 16 (not the Mk 17, though). this came as a surprise to most.

but then again, like somebody said here before me, the SCAR is a SOCOM weapon, developed entirely for SOCOM and in conjunction with SOCOM operators. it was never intended to replace the M4/M16 family in the conventional Army. that would have been the XM8, which was ditched by the Army a while ago.

there were some people who figured the Army might look into the SCAR as a replacement for their M4s now that the XM8 was no longer a viable option. i guess that's what inspired BIS to equip their Army with SCARs.

and why not? the Armaversum is fictional after all. would it really have been better to have yet another branch of the Armed Forces equipped with the same weapons? we've been using AR15 type weapons in OpF, ArmA and ArmA 2, as well as countless other action games. about time we got something else to play with.

It's just a game, so who cares the gun is canceled, maybe it got revived since this is the future/fiction game

And if you don't like the scar, there is m4 in OA that is some camo version used by czech

Couldn't agree more. Any non M4/M16 based gun adds a refreshing possibility. Also, unlike the G36 and XM8, we couldn't find any "drum magazine" exploits that prevents us from using them. The upgraded G36s are nice, but it's not something we'll consider using due to this exploit possibility; Drum mags being used in regular weapons without problems associated with it or seeing them actually in the weapon so that "cheaters" can be dealt with. Knowing that an MG36 exists, I have mental issues against putting in an M249 for a G36 based squad.

The beauty of our games is that you can quite easily change this yourself if it bothers you too much ;)

I've had little success on scripted approaches, as the automatic rifleman is kind of key personnel in a team, and everyone should be able to carry his extra mags. Redefining mags in addon probably works, but then (I assume) everyone would need that addon, which is not a good solution. Doable, but not desired. And I'm not much of an addon maker, even the simplest ones seems to fail me :)

I for one am thankful they cancelled it, it's a hideous looking gun in my opinion. The HK416/417 looks so much better. :p

I for one am thankful they cancelled it, it's a hideous looking gun in my opinion. The HK416/417 looks so much better. :p

You are thankfull that the aquisition of a rifle was canceled based on how it looks while the soldiers continue to field a 40 year old flawed weapon design that is likely to put their efficiency and safety at risk :confused: .

You are thankfull that the aquisition of a rifle was canceled based on how it looks while the soldiers continue to field a 40 year old flawed weapon design that is likely to put their efficiency and safety at risk :confused: .

well, obviously SOCOM decided the SCAR wasn't that much better than the M4 to justify paying that much more.

but yeah, if looks mattered a whole lot of military hardware would have been retired long ago, including the Apache and the Warthog, whose ugliness is the sole reason it can fly; the earth doesn't want it back. :D

C'mon guys, someone worked their ass off to make those SCARs, and you come on here and complain about it? Really? I personally like them. I got bored of the same old, at least it is SOMEWHAT realistic. It's not like we're shooting lasers at each other.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8056 And if you are too lazy to use remove and addweapon commands, then wait for a replacement config or something.

Edited by JDMT

well, obviously SOCOM decided the SCAR wasn't that much better than the M4 to justify paying that much more.

but yeah, if looks mattered a whole lot of military hardware would have been retired long ago, including the Apache and the Warthog, whose ugliness is the sole reason it can fly; the earth doesn't want it back. :D

Or decided that the cost would be too high.

I think most would disagree with your opinion of the apache and warthog though, atleast i do.