Sign in to follow this  
sincraft

Tried Demo - buggy, game worth it?

Ok so I was checking out TrackIR5 and somehow found this game through IR5 reviews. Looked awesome.

Download the demo and have to say, greatly disappointed.

LOTS of bugs in the demo. Arming yourself, explaining the action key (still not sure what that is) etc etc. Can't really name all of them but I found myself needing to restart the tutorial to get it to work.

The parachuting part is very buggy as well, lots of jitters etc.

Is the game better? Am I missing some set of instructions on how to wield weapons, reload from ammo boxes etc or is it as counterinuitive as I'm thinking? I have to fumble around, even after successfully working with weapons previously I find myself playing around near those ammo boxes , clicking on icons, clicking on my mouse buttons and keyboard keys trying to figure out how to wield a weapon that it's asking me to pickup, which I already have in my queue.

Lots of other little annoyances and glitches, just wondering...thanks.

The demo is based on v1.0 - the current ArmA II version is 1.07.

You really can't compare the demo with the game anymore. In fact the demo was already outdated as it was released.

I don't know why rearming is a problem. Go to the ammo crate and wait until the reload icon appears then press Enter.

Well, first off, the demo is very old and, yes, is quite buggy. However, v1.07 is the latest version of Arma 2 and you can't really compare it to the demo; most bugs have been crushed, and the performance has been greatly optimized.

But, to my knowledge there weren't bugs with arming yourself in any missions, nor using the action menu, which is what I believe you meant by "action key". The HALO script is indeed still quite screwed up in the game, but if you own Operation Arrowhead it's a lot better. Not perfect, but better.

Arming yourself from an ammo crate and "wielding" your weapon (I presume you mean raising it?) are both quite easy and intuitive. In the case of an ammo crate, walk close to it, put the crosshairs over it and an action saying "Gear" should appear. Select it with the middle mouse button and a window will pop up. Select the weapon you want or have been told to take, and either double click it or hit "Take". To raise your weapon simply double tap Left Ctrl.

Well to be honest when I played the Demo before buying Arma2 (which was about 4-5 months ago) I was so blown away by the whole concept and the gameplay that I really ignored the bugs and shortcomings. From my experience the demo was a lot more buggy than the full version, but nevertheless there are times when you will encounter them. If you really like the game, and are the kind of person that can overlook things I'd defintely say get it. If you get easily pissed of and frustrated when something that is suppose to work a certain way and it simply doesn't and you want to break your computer because of it, then save your computer.

But I'm just a noob... so yeah.

If you're not a fan of BIS games, be warned ...

It took me about 2 months to learn how to play this game adequately. This is not a pick-up-and-play style.

BUT ... if you take the time to learn and fully explore everything (editor, mods, MP, user-made content) you will find there is no other game like it in existence. I am still exploring the game after 6 months and people play these games for years. The only other game I have bought in that span is Arma II Operation Arrowhead, if that tells you anything.

If you are looking for a great SP campaign, look elsewhere. (campaign is pretty good, but the game itself is rough around the edges, lacking the polish of today's "cinematic" style games)

But want to attack 4 Russian tank platoons in your AH-1Z? Put the units in the editor and have at it. What game lets you do that?

Well said andromedagalaxe ^

Sincraft: Honestly if you didn't like the demo then this game might not be for you.

It has improved alot over the demo but there are still some quirks and things that don't work sometimes.

For us fans we see past all the little niggles and enjoy a truly unique gaming experience.

Edited by EDcase

It took me about 2 months to learn how to play this game adequately. This is not a pick-up-and-play style.

Well, I do doubt that it did take actually two months to learn to how to play this game adequately. I mean, specially if you are playing in MP. In MP, learning process is pretty much this; you watch what your team-mates do and do what your squad leader tells you to do. People I have encountered in ArmA 2 MP have been mostly quite helpful towards new players.

(Well, as long as you behave that is. And remember to check the options/keyboard-configurations.)

BUT ... if you take the time to learn and fully explore everything (editor, mods, MP, user-made content) you will find there is no other game like it in existence. I am still exploring the game after 6 months and people play these games for years. The only other game I have bought in that span is Arma II Operation Arrowhead, if that tells you anything.

If you are looking for a great SP campaign, look elsewhere. (campaign is pretty good, but the game itself is rough around the edges, lacking the polish of today's "cinematic" style games)

But want to attack 4 Russian tank platoons in your AH-1Z? Put the units in the editor and have at it. What game lets you do that?

you can do that with chinese tanks in OFP DR.... :D if you had a PC when that came out... ahh remember all that fun? good times.. good times...

Seems interesting enough to continue looking into honestly. Might have to push ahead. I like sim based games as well as the arcade style games, this appears to be a nice mix that I would enjoy.

Thanks for the replies.

S

If you're teetering on if you should or should not to buy it, wait a few weeks for the OA demo to come out. It'll be much more polished.

Well, I do doubt that it did take actually two months to learn to how to play this game adequately. I mean, specially if you are playing in MP. In MP, learning process is pretty much this; you watch what your team-mates do and do what your squad leader tells you to do. People I have encountered in ArmA 2 MP have been mostly quite helpful towards new players.

(Well, as long as you behave that is. And remember to check the options/keyboard-configurations.)

Well, being new the the franchise I decided to learn the entire game (there is a lot more than just being a grunt in a MP match), so I unlocked everything in Armory, learned how to operate every weapon system, learned how to fly choppers (not really that easy), learned how to fly and land planes, learned construction and warfare mode, memorized key bindings for every command, learned how to range every scope in the game, so yeah, pretty much took 2 months to do all that.

Impressive commitment :)

Is there something I can do to actually try the game?

The demo is VERY limited.

The only thing I could figure out is how to create my own multiplayer game, and launch with my little squad of 7 or so guys as ai, vs a BUNCH of AI.

I also noticed that when I shoot a guy that is standing still, red dot on body...he's not taking hits, even after many many rounds. Feels buggy to me.

Are there campaigns I can download and load or (not sure what you would call them in this game) to really try this game out?

Thanks...seems very interesting and mega involved.

The demo is nothing like the actual game, patched up to the newest level.

If you're unsure, get Operation Arrowhead, it's priced quite low. If you like it, get ArmA 2 as well.

Or get both at the same time.

But really, I knew how bloody bugged ArmA 2 was at the release, but I still bought it because I knew BI was going to fix it - As they always have.

I trust this company, and if you want to experience something new, nothing like Bad Company or Call of Duty, but more realistic, yes, at times more frustrating, but also so much more rewarding - Get this game. All of it.

I can really, really just suggest buying this game if you want more indepth gameplay than any other shooter on the market has to offer.

I've been playing these series since the original Operation Flashpoint, and I've also played and enjoyed Battlefield and Call of Duty since the beginning, and I enjoyed them all - But Operation Flashpoint/ArmA is just the most unique and special game out of them all, and I spent more hours playing it than I spent hours on Call of Duty and Battlefield altogether.

Cheers,

Elric

I've been tempted the past few weeks to break my dry spell for purchasing new titles. But in all honesty I'd rather purchase a buggy BIS title over anything else, the buggy Total War titles comes a close second, just for the shits and giggles.

I totally think its worth it.

I put 12 hours total into the demo, as i kept trying to work out what i was doing wrong, i expected so much and it just kept failing to deliver, then one day i tried a co-op MP game, and the other chaps playing were playing in a proper tactical manner, giving orders and doing things right, holy shit it was AWESOME.

I bought the game the next day.

As above, main game patched to 1.07 is miles ahead of the buggy demo to be honest.

Well, being new the the franchise I decided to learn the entire game (there is a lot more than just being a grunt in a MP match), so I unlocked everything in Armory, learned how to operate every weapon system, learned how to fly choppers (not really that easy), learned how to fly and land planes, learned construction and warfare mode, memorized key bindings for every command, learned how to range every scope in the game, so yeah, pretty much took 2 months to do all that.

Same here when I got ArmA 1. Good times. This series can be very intimidating at first, I know it was to me, but do not even hesitate to ask for help with anything. We're truly a community here. We help each other out, help the developers out, and they help the rest of us. We the players make the game so much better by adding content and community to an already excellent experience. So cheers to Bohemia Interactive for doing everything we know and love.:biggrin_o:

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

I think the demo should come with a warning/disclaimer, because people are getting confused.

I think the demo should come with a warning/disclaimer, because people are getting confused.

It would help if the demo was updated, but I don't suppose that is worth the hassle for BIS since the game is old already... they should probably concentrate on making an Arrowhead Demo, that will be on part with the game then, and much more representative of the final product.

I think a game like this would be good for me. I need another addiction. :) More time bandits so to speak. I'm going to piddle with multiplayer and see how it goes.

So will I be missing anything if I buy Arrowhead and not Arma2?

Should I do the digital download or box set?

So many questions! :)

I think a game like this would be good for me. I need another addiction. :) More time bandits so to speak. I'm going to piddle with multiplayer and see how it goes.

So will I be missing anything if I buy Arrowhead and not Arma2?

Should I do the digital download or box set?

So many questions! :)

If you can afford it, spend 10$ and get both. I know I did even after having Arma 2 already. It was just too good of a deal. I gave my original Arma 2 to my friend to try out. Hopefully he likes it and gets OA too.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

I also noticed that when I shoot a guy that is standing still, red dot on body...he's not taking hits, even after many many rounds. Feels buggy to me.

Well it could be a bug, but you need to keep in mind the distance, stealth, health, weapon range, and whether or not you were just sprinting for a mile. Arma2 is very different in the regard that the shooting is very realistic. It's not so much point and shoot as suppress and flank.

There hasn't been a single game out there that leaves me dry on ammo like Arma does. I can often unload whole clips over long distances not killing a single thing, but doing a lot of damage to the enemy by buying time for my bots to run ahead or flank them. And I love it... except when ur down to the last bullet and have to use a pistol at 600m >.<

You could also do the same vise versa, orders ur AI to suppress fire and run ahead yourself, but I like to play it safe :-p

EDIT: Actually there was another game, Brothers in Arms... that was a damn good game, but unfortunately only good for SP campaign

Edited by TovarishGruzin