Sign in to follow this  
AlecDelorean

Cipher: Valleys of the Takiban

Played her three times up till now, Alec .

Havent found anything except heli´s pickiness when evacuating, but as stated its more from ambient combat than ai-fail.

Proceeding further, Rad off !

thanks radi,

razor took over on his dedi-server and it ran fine. we had 2 runs, one disaster and one victory with successful extraction. hope you can join us next time... :cool:

Yes, IceBreakr,"Combined Operations"-Pack, A2+A2OA, is needed xD

If you got OA already give that mission a run....absolutely blasting.

I just finished my 7th run as lone wolf (5 epicfails, 2 dominating wins, accepting all SekOps and finishing them) on full difficulty and its just awesome.

Again, many many thanks to both the original Missionmaker Wiper and Alec for porting it over to AO.

See you soon on the battlefields!

P.s.: I was shadowed by a BTR-90 for fully half an hour before he opened fire on me and spoiled my third win...he just kept rolling in behind me, then, when I was finally used to him he decided to annihilate me while I was being engaged by the Mi8 looking for me and an Infantry patrol hehehehe

Edited by AntalopeAUT

Played her three times up till now, Alec .

Havent found anything except heli´s pickiness when evacuating, but as stated its more from ambient combat than ai-fail.

Proceeding further, Rad off !

I get this and the dreaded heli freeze if you "restart" the mission. Wiper had solved that freeze but now it is back.

Plus the heli never lands to give me more reinforcements. He just flys over the point and goes to hover somewhere else on the map.

@Punisher5555

what do you mean with "freeze"? the insertion-helo hovering in the air without landing or a real AI-freeze?

- the reinforcement-helo is called by the BIS_SOM module, unfortunately this module seems to have some issues with OA, there are some threads in the forum about it, maybe a future patch will solve this and give us more configurability. but remember, the reinforcement call is never an 100% order in a restaurant, it's a tactical decision depending on the current situation.

while playing the mission, i had several successful reinforcements and sometimes i saw him got shot down or he decided to flee or never showed up (probably got shot down crossing several hotzones in the valleys around my position). one time the pilot made a perfect emergency landing and after that the 3 crew members also joined my team.

- at the end of your mission, if your team is splitten up, you can enter the extraction-helo, fly a bit and order another extraction to get the rest of your teammembers

Edited by AlecDelorean

The issue is when you die (some of your squadmates are still alive) and select restart, you are stuck in the heli. It won't land. You can eject, but your squad refuses. You have to totally get out of the mission to start over.

This used to happen in earlier Wiper versions of regular Cipher, but he fixed it somehow.

My reinforcement heli flies over and goes about 2 klicks away and just hovers there. He won't go away until you abort him.

One request. Can we get more Stinger missles in the ammo box? All the helicopters come in pairs (at least in my game). I only got one Stinger shot!!

Edited by Punisher5555

@Punisher5555

ok, there is one more thing i need to know, are you playing SP, ingame host COOP or dedicated server?

and yes, i will change the weapons loadout with the next release (but not too much, usually its better not to attract those air patrols...)

Edited by AlecDelorean

I've managed to fix the blackhawk not turning up problem and a few other bugs, waypoints are now properly set all over the island and the blackhawk should always drop reinforcements and again, it's fully OA standalone compatible.

Only 2 major bugs remain that I'm tracking down, one is the following:

_availTypes = _availTy>
 Error position: <set [_index, -1];
_availTypes = _availTy>
 Error Zero divisor
File ca\missions\som\data\scripts\secops\reinforce\07_create_secop_assets.sqf, line 134

This is a script error that appears in my rpt when the blackhawk tries to drop people off sometimes.

The other is the blackhawk gunners getting out and joining your group after it drops your reinforcements.

As for your questions:

i also have problems with your decision to change the light and medium offroad vehicles.

for tactical gameplay i never try to get all 10 team members in vehicles that are available to make a quick advance into the target area. one SU-25 flyover can cost u everything.

SOV with mk19 grenade launcher is always available.

I believe that decision lies in the hands of the group leader moreso than the mission maker. If they want to take the risk, it should be up to them.

In response to the SOV, it was just a quick replacement to make it OA compatible, they will be replaced with something more suitable later.

edit: had some fun driving the ikarus, :) but why should someone drive a bus into a warzone??

--

my thought on making the mission not OA only:

- support BIS with buying both games, Arma2 + OA, it's incredibly cheap with all the content and potential for months (years) of gameplay

Again, thats up to the group leader. I like to think of it as using whatever resources you have in a warzone, including commandeering civilian vehicles.

It's good that you want to make an A2+OA version, and yes supporting BIS is fantastic, I have all their games. However, russian troops/civillians/cars just feel out of place and break the immersion for me, thats why I wanted to do this OA version. Besides, not everyone has Arma2, most newcomers only have OA.

i really like to invite you on working on the next version and include your script to resync the group leader with ACM and SecOps, so i can focus more on design (briefing etc.).

I've been using this map to learn how to script, but I'm more than happy to share what I've changed with you providing you give people the option of playing the OA only map.

Is there a real possibilty a non ambient combat/secop version can be released?

I ask this becuase im just happy with the original where your task is simply to find the briefcase only and dodge units as you go.

I may have it wrong but I got spawned and then all of a sudden right on top of where I meet for vehicle a winged plane was right over me and enemy's fighting 200-300 meters away ... before Id got anywhere.

I want to enjoy this but I would much rather see a toned down version thats more to the original without secop etc.

@sajuuk

i never encountered that error, but you can help a lot of people and BIS with posting your findings about the secops-module in this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73329&highlight=secop+spawn&page=18

hopefully, BIS will fix this with an upcoming patch...

one major error that i found, sometimes turning up:

(Error Nicht definierte Variable in Ausdruck = Error not defined variable in expression)

--------------------

Error in expression <pulationClasses = _populationClasses + [_type];

};

_populationCount = count _po>

Error position: <_type];

};

Error Nicht definierte Variable in Ausdruck: _type

Error in expression <pulationClasses = _populationClasses + [_type];

};

Error position: <_type];

};

Error Nicht definierte Variable in Ausdruck: _type

Error in expression <ss = _populationClasses select _i;

if (_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error position: <_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error Nicht definierte Variable in Ausdruck: _class

Error in expression <ss = _populationClasses select _i;

if (_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error position: <_class != "") then {

_door = _doorlist >

Error Nicht definierte Variable in Ausdruck: _class

--------------------

"<pulationClasses" seems to be a typo somewhere in BIS's code.

--------------------

the vehicle and Arma2: CO discussion:

- ends here for me, kiddos!

- combat is no holiday trip, equipment will be ordered from high command logistics and distributed to the group leaders and THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE SITUATION!

- the mission maker is always in the position of high command!

- in reality, russian vehicles etc. are spread all over afghanistan

- after the Operation Arrowhead hype, Arma2: Combined Ops will get more attractive to mission- and mod makers, support BIS so they can continue working on their fantastic unrivaled products!

- taking a bus is simply ridiculous

- the group leader (or admin) has always the choice to:

1. take the truck to transport 10 men

2. split the group (on foot / on vehicles)

3. choose a smaller group that fits in the two available offroad vehicles

over and out on that issue!

@mrcash2009

i'll take that request into account for a much higher version, please be patient.

So thats a no to the OA standalone version of this mission that I've done then?

Edit: I fixed the module bug and the only thing that's left is the chopper crew joining the group.

Edited by sajuuk

my thought on making the mission not OA only:

- support BIS with buying both games, Arma2 + OA, it's incredibly cheap with all the content and potential for months (years) of gameplay

Wow, talk about bizarre reasoning! If the map can be made playable only in OA without the need for Arma2 there is no good reason to not make it so. Why do you think some people only own OA and not Arma2+OA? Maybe they cant afford both? Maybe they think it's a bad decision to buy two identical games when they are only interested in multiplayer(like me)? Why do you want to force us to buy a game we might not want, just to be able to play free, user-made content?

I think you just made this up so you can hold some kind of absurd moral high ground but believe you me, by refusing to do an OA version you are not doing the community a service but rather a disservice.

And from what I can tell, Sajuuk has accomplished more with this map in two days than you have done in two weeks. From my point of view you don't deserve his help nor any of the praise you have gotten from the community.

When I bought this game I thought that I was going to join a mature community but evidently it has its share of rotten eggs just like any other game.

Why do you want to force us to buy a game we might not want, just to be able to play free, user-made content?

This is a mission made by a user for users, not a BIS employee. He and anyone else has the right to make it dependent on whatever they like (right or wrong), no one is forcing anyone. The rest is an issue/debate outside what this thread is. Oddly enough in Arma1 people complained about having missions dependent on its expansion (not standalone) but had the main game.

When I bought this game I thought that I was going to join a mature community but evidently it has its share of rotten eggs just like any other game.

Well .... ummmm ....

And from what I can tell, Sajuuk has accomplished more with this map in two days than you have done in two weeks. From my point of view you don't deserve his help nor any of the praise you have gotten from the community.
i'll take that request into account for a much higher version, please be patient.

Great news thanks.

Edited by mrcash2009

Wow, talk about bizarre reasoning! If the map can be made playable only in OA without the need for Arma2 there is no good reason to not make it so. Why do you think some people only own OA and not Arma2+OA? Maybe they cant afford both? Maybe they think it's a bad decision to buy two identical games when they are only interested in multiplayer(like me)? Why do you want to force us to buy a game we might not want, just to be able to play free, user-made content?

I think you just made this up so you can hold some kind of absurd moral high ground but believe you me, by refusing to do an OA version you are not doing the community a service but rather a disservice.

:yay::yay::yay::yay:

one last time...

hearing of evidence part1

the facts:

sajuuk published his version based on my v02b just 5 minutes after i already released v03b. sajuuk's changes missed proper documentation and also contained a script error. he simply forgot to test it properly.

something like this only causes mismatch, chaos and avoidable bugs in the real world, software development won't work this way. i pm'ed him for cooperation, no reaction. i officially asked him for cooperation, no reaction and he didn't ask for permission of publishing either.

----------------

dear mr.ctatalos,

i'm an aduld and have to manage my agenda and time for working on this project. sajuuk can do whatever he wants with his time. if he found a workaround for a minor problem (bugged SecOps reinforcements) thats fine for him, after BIS fixes that problem, nobody needs that workaround anymore. if i simply disable SecOps reinforcements, the problem is also gone.

OA only compability stays on low priority!

if you are able to read, i have some hints for you:

the first post states:

Conversion of Cipher user mission to the Takistan-Map of Arma2:CO (Arma2 + Operation Arrowhead)

and most important:

it's BETA! this usually means WORK IN PROGRESS!

that doesn't change until the point: when it's done it's done.

and doesn't give the right to anybody to demand anything from someone who is providing his work for free.

if you don't like this mission, go play another one. if you like to spam this forum, go read the forum rules. if you're the man to decide whoever deserves whatever you think, go decide something. if you're new to Arma2, take your time to understand what it is all about.

-------------

hearing of evidence part2

here is my pm about the matter to placebo:

"hi placebo,

i opened the cipher for takistan thread and a guy named sajuuk posted a link with an own edit of the mission without permission. i don't know if it is against the forum rulez, but his edit also contains some bugs and he didn't check that i already updated my version. i think he meant no harm, but with his version he definitely will cause some trouble in version and functionality mismatch."

-------------

so far, for acting mature...

case closed, check v04b.

that was fun. :D

Edited by AlecDelorean

Wow, talk about bizarre reasoning! If the map can be made playable only in OA without the need for Arma2 there is no good reason to not make it so. Why do you think some people only own OA and not Arma2+OA?

I appreciate your situation, like you I have friends who only have arrowhead and they've been looking for missions like Cipher to play. The best advice I can give you is to learn a bit of scripting, you dont need to know a whole lot to put dynamic battles and SOM/ACM together. Check out addons and scripts like UPSMON, D.A.C or GroupLink. All the hard work is pretty much done for you, it's just a matter of pasting some simple init lines. The forums are a wealth of information.

@sajuuk

i found a weird solution for this scripterror:

_availTypes = _availTy>

Error position: <set [_index, -1];

_availTypes = _availTy>

Error Zero divisor

File ca\missions\som\data\scripts\secops\reinforce\07_create_secop_assets.sqf, line 134

just use the default distances for the secops module:

//Min Max distance of sec ops.

//Default: [300, 700]

_secOpDistances = [300, 700];

now i have to fix that in v04b...

I had already fixed it while keeping the distance changes, but thanks anyway.

how very bizarre. Arma2+OA is a combined package. Maybe a bit of research is useful before you blabber uncontrollably on the forums.

And I'm sure you'll find that community you speak of, you buy it separately and it comes boxed with its very own disclaimer that the user fills out themselves.

@Punisher5555

ok, there is one more thing i need to know, are you playing SP, ingame host COOP or dedicated server?

and yes, i will change the weapons loadout with the next release (but not too much, usually its better not to attract those air patrols...)

I only play SP.

Thanks for the ammo change. Heck, one time I got attacked right off the bat by two enemy Hueys randomly flying by. I just stood up from the ammo box and bam! With only one missle !

Edited by Punisher5555

So will there eventually be an OA standalone version of this mission? I myself have both Arma 2 and OA but I would like to host this with a bunch of mates who unfortuinatly only have OA... Please make an OA standalone version:o

I'll give you a cookie...

Guys there will not be an OA standalone version of this mission. Read the thread please.

So just to clarify for myself: The SP mission has secops and ACM disabled but in the MP they can be enabled?

Guys there will not be an OA standalone version of this mission. Read the thread please.

So just to clarify for myself: The SP mission has secops and ACM disabled but in the MP they can be enabled?

Ah man...

This is a big disappointment!:mad:

@JuggernautOfWar

yep, it's disabled, for sp-experience simply host a lan game and use the slots and server options for mission settings with secops/acm on/off. because the server settings are accessible and injecting their values before the mission is rendered, the secops-module causes much less trouble after it's initialized or simply not present. in sp the "old" settingsmenu is only activated after rendering, at start of the mission.

@Acelondoner

patience is the key my friend... there was too much hassle about that issue. it stays on low priority for now, until i'm done with the other stuff.

@JuggernautOfWar

yep, it's disabled, for sp-experience simply host a lan game and use the slots and server options for mission settings with secops/acm on/off. because the server settings are accessible and injecting their values before the mission is rendered, the secops-module causes much less trouble after it's initialized or simply not present. in sp the "old" settingsmenu is only activated after rendering, at start of the mission.[/Quote]

Ah I see. That makes total sense and I agree with your reasoning. :yay: