Sign in to follow this  
Highway_Star

OA ATVs/Quads doomed to have an accident.

Hi all

The only thing more dangerous than an ATV is a horse. Which combines the off road risks of an ATV with the moronic intelligence of an animal driver, with hysteria, on speed. Their tendency to bolt because of a loud noise or merest perceived threat makes riding them akin to being the passenger of an AI driven ArmA car in stealth mode.

I got a lot of scrapes and only just missed being decapitated a by tree branch once while riding a girlfriends horse when it decided a new barrel in the field looked suspicious.

I much prefer camels to horses far more sedate and sensible animals.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

Have you rode a horse and a Camel then I take it? You'll find if you know how to control a horse properly and train it you won't have these problems. And yes I have rode one ;)

Kind Regards - Infamous

Hi all

Have you rode a horse and a Camel then I take it? You'll find if you know how to control a horse properly and train it you won't have these problems. And yes I have rode one ;)

Kind Regards - Infamous

Hi Infam0us

Yes both, though not an ATV as some one thought, I was just pointing out that moving at any kind of speed and hitting what you think of as an innocuous bush would probably lead to serious injuries, I was giving an experience I had on a horse as an example.

If people don't believe me I invite them to the Darwin's run in to a bush test. Probably just cuts and bruises nine times out of ten but the tenth time...

I freely admit I am not a horse fan I have ridden them but their temperament makes me wary of them and riding all day hurts your ass, your thighs, your kidneys/spine if you are not wearing a kidney belt. Camels though, if it is a big camel, are easy to ride. I have ridden camels for days with out so much as a broken fingernail.

And camels, unlike horses, are not given to mad hysterical wild adrenalin-ed off their face bolting and rearing up at the sight or sound of something unknown.

Kind Regards walker

I have yet to try the ATV in OA, so i can't say whether its better or worse than in RL.

But from my experience, whatever you are driving, you have to know how to drive it.

And if you know how to drive ATV, then you can go relatively fast even in rough terrain - of course it depends on how rough the terrain is, and it takes lot of planning your way as you see it, and you must be also quick on reflexes, and so on.

You can't go 100 mph in the terrain, as you maybe would on a good flat road, but...

What i want to say - if the game cannot simulate how good driver you are, then it should presume you are the best, and it should let you drive the ATV in game like if you know how to drive it.

If it is impossible in game to go 30-40mph down a hill that looks like relatively even terrain, then the game has it wrong, period (at least until you hit some reasonable sized rock, then you are going to fly).

I think vehicles bounce because people drive them too fast and often, what with it being a game and such, don't appreciate the speed and the roughness of the terrain. Vehicles going even fairly slowly (in terms of road speeds) bounce all over the shop on rough ground.

So in that case. Arma 2 wasn't realistic at all. Because I could drive just as aggresivley in that without any trouble.

Was this mentioned yet: any light vehicle from ATV to even armoured HMVs, when driving them down a mountain/steep slope will kill all of their crews most of the time.

Problem has become even more acute with Takistan's landscape; in Arma 2 we had our commanders killed in BTRs doing 100kmh down a hill.

100km? well no wonder he died, it's a wonder more of the crew didn't.

Happened to me while jumping down a rock at like 50km\h with a LAV 25 HQ. Was pretty much amazed, as i wasn't going so fast and rock wasn't so tall. Still, it's rather annoyin, even more so now in Takistan.

I agree with both Alaric and Iroquois, it's to the point in Takistan where I'm afraid to drive a Humvee offroad downhill, no matter the speed.

How steep are we talking? From what I've seen these "downhill" things are insanely steep. Who would dare setting down a 45° slope in a HMMWV? Yeah, afraid I would be in real life too :D

How steep are we talking? From what I've seen these "downhill" things are insanely steep. Who would dare setting down a 45° slope in a HMMWV? Yeah, afraid I would be in real life too :D

I began bleeding on a downhill slope barely slanted... It seems some mountains are worse than others.

Funny fact, i pretty much launched an abrams down a mountain, reaching a top speed of 180km\h in a steep slope, actually making it FLY for like a KM or two down the mountain until it hit a tree. Crew wasn't even scratched. And similar facts happened more than a couple of times, i even used to drop abrams' from ospreys at 150+ mts of altitude and top speed. Not a scratch. Ah.. coherency ;D

Altho i got killed after taking sustained RPG \ Cannon fire, wounding the crew to death. And not harming the tank's armor in any way. Tank status = green, crew status = KIA. :S?

Edited by Alaric [ITA]

How many of you have offroaded?

Going down a hill with no road can be extremely treacherous at most any speed. Let alone over 70KMH (which is absolutely insane in real life). You would wreck pretty much everything on the vehicle, deploy airbags, and probably roll over. Anything above 24 kph is asking for loads of trouble.

btw, did anyone do cliff jumping on OFP, you could jump vehicles off a mountain and be fine.

How many of you have offroaded?

Going down a hill with no road can be extremely treacherous at most any speed. Let alone over 70KMH (which is absolutely insane in real life). You would wreck pretty much everything on the vehicle, deploy airbags, and probably roll over. Anything above 24 kph is asking for loads of trouble.

btw, did anyone do cliff jumping on OFP, you could jump vehicles off a mountain and be fine.

Agreed, but flying Bradleys and M1 at 150kmh isn't realistic, tho. Two sides of the same Takistani mountain coin.

P.S. NodUnit, I meant commander(s) in Warfare, the vehicle in Question was the BTR-90 (HQ) which has 2 seats: driver & gunner. Comms tend to travel alone while moving HQ through g-d forgotten lands. :D

Oh yes, big fun running off the Nogova peaks heading north through the forests. Or the massive cliffs at the coast. :D

If you want to survive fast downhills, old bike FTW. 120kmh till you hit something and wipe out. Good luck with braking.

If you want to survive fast downhills, old bike FTW. 120kmh till you hit something and wipe out. Good luck with braking.

:D Chernarus was the ultimate offroad challenge. 4 trees per 1 m2... while going downhill.