Sign in to follow this  
Highway_Star

OA ATVs/Quads doomed to have an accident.

Has anyone tried driving the ATVs in OA? They are very bouncy. Even driving over bumpy ground causes them to bounce around and then roll over, killing the driver and passenger. 'All terrain' they are not.:(

The main issue I've seen is that small bushes severely injures the driver, which is ridiculous.

Hi all

In real life All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) are quite dangerous too.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=3&oq=Quad+bike+a&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLR_enGB247GB247&q=quad+bike+accident

In just the UK they put 4,200 in hospital in 2002 the last year for which statistics are available, In recent years, rock star Ozzy Osbourne and comedian Rik Mayall were almost killed after coming off their ATVs. What is really shocking is the percentage of ATV accidents resulting in deaths, by broken neck and smashed skull.

In the US over 6,000 fatalities occurred from injuries associated with ATVs in the last twenty years, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

In 2001 alone, 467 people were killed by ATV accidents. In 2002, 113,900 people went to the emergency room with ATV-related injuries, Sadly the CPSC estimates at least 30% of people involved in ATV accidents are children.

Doctors have started to call them ATDS (All Terrain Doner Shop)

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
spelling and a butter fingered typo (a stray "r")

Hi all

In real life All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) are quite dangerouse too.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=3&oq=Quad+bike+a&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLR_enGB247GB247&q=quad+bike+accident

In just the UK they put 4,200 in hospital in 2002 the last year for which statisics are available, In recent years, rock star Ozzy Osbourne and comedian Rik Mayall were almost killed after coming off their ATVs. What is realy shocking is the percentage of ATV accedents resulting in deaths, by broken neck and smashed skull.

In the US over 6,000 fatalities occurred from injuries associated with ATVs in the last twenty years, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

In 2001 alone, 467 people were killed by ATV accidents. In 2002, 113,900 people went to the emergency room with ATV-related injuries, Sadly the CPSC estimates at least 30% of people involved in ATV accidents are children.

Doctors haver started to call them ATDS (All Terrain Doner Shop)

Kind Regards walker

Yup, If any of you are lucky enough to have driven one of these, you will know that you cannot go blasting off road at a high rate of speed, like Bad Company 2. You can go fast, but you will get dumped if you are careless. not saying they are the best handling either, been seeing alot of offroad vehicles in this game with floating front ends coming fast downhill. :confused:

They were designed for use on farmlands and not for zipping over rough terrain at high speed. ;)

Hi all

The only thing more dangerous than an ATV is a horse. Which combines the off road risks of an ATV with the moronic intelligence of an animal driver, with hysteria, on speed. Their tendency to bolt because of a loud noise or merest perceived threat makes riding them akin to being the passenger of an AI driven ArmA car in stealth mode.

I got a lot of scrapes and only just missed being decapitated a by tree branch once while riding a girlfriends horse when it decided a new barrel in the field looked suspicious.

Any way getting to the point of this equine aside I can easily imagine that driving through a bush on an ATV might impale you on a broken stick and thorns would rip you to shreds. So getting wounded on an ATV running pel-mel through the bushes does sound reasonable to me.

I much prefer camels to horses far more sedate and sensible animals.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi all

The only thing more dangerous than an ATV is a horse.

:lol:

Someone needs to get out more.

Kind regards,

Tanky

I've yet to ride an OA Quad, but I've owned a 4x4 "BigBear" 400. Smooth terrain, you can haul ass, but bumpy terrain with bushes would bring me to much slower speeds.

Looking forward to compare.

Hi all

In real life All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) are quite dangerous too.

In just the UK they put 4,200 in hospital in 2002 the last year for which statistics are available, In recent years, rock star Ozzy Osbourne and comedian Rik Mayall were almost killed after coming off their ATVs. What is really shocking is the percentage of ATV accidents resulting in deaths, by broken neck and smashed skull.

Doctors have started to call them ATDS (All Terrain Doner Shop)

Kind Regards walker

pffft, is that it?

In my state alone, we have nearly the same numbers (worst in nation due to all the dumb drunk rednecks, but it's probably best Darwinism takes care of them.)

So the response to my topic is, "ATVs are just as impossible to ride in real life"? Hehe I'll stick to motorbikes then. :D

So the response to my topic is, "ATVs are just as impossible to ride in real life"? Hehe I'll stick to motorbikes then. :D

Hi Highway

I could be wrong but experience tells me it is as likely to be a feature as a mistake. Just drive the ATVs slower off road and same as in real life don't go driving through bushes and in to boulders. Then tell us if you are experiencing the same injury levels. ;)

ArmA is supposed to be a simulator and not just a game like COD. So simulating the injuries you would get from being a numpty sound right to me.

Should make for some interesting vehicle chat from passengers in MP games :D

I like the Darwinism in ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi Highway

I could be wrong but experience tells me it is as likely to be a feature as a mistake. Just drive the ATVs slower off road and same as in real life don't go driving through bushes and in to boulders. Then tell us if you are experiencing the same injury levels. ;)

ArmA is supposed to be a simulator and not just a game like COD. So simulating the injuries you would get from being a numpty sound right to me.

Should make for some interesting vehicle chat from passengers in MP games :D

I like the Darwinism in ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

Well I think my first post wasn't clear. I'm not hitting obstacles. Not bushes or rocks. Just lighly undulating terrain.

Well I think my first post wasn't clear. I'm not hitting obstacles. Not bushes or rocks. Just lighly undulating terrain.

This has actually been a bit of a problem since OFP and ARMA. Taking a bike or motorcycle down even a slight hill would make you feel like you are on a trampoline.

This has actually been a bit of a problem since OFP and ARMA. Taking a bike or motorcycle down even a slight hill would make you feel like you are on a trampoline.

The ATVs in A.C.E 2 were fantanstic. Did you ever try them?

Has anyone tried driving the ATVs in OA? They are very bouncy. Even driving over bumpy ground causes them to bounce around and then roll over, killing the driver and passenger. 'All terrain' they are not.:(

Pretty realistic I thought for the agricultural style models used, plenty farmers cop it while using them when it tips over and pins them down in a ditch.

Just ask Ozzy Osbourne about them. ;)

Remember folks! always wear a helmet!

Amen!

:lol:

Someone needs to get out more.

Kind regards,

Tanky

I think the point of his post is that he has been out... riding horses and ATVs...

Pretty realistic I thought for the agricultural style models used, plenty farmers cop it while using them when it tips over and pins them down in a ditch.

Just ask Ozzy Osbourne about them. ;)

Agreed. I've not used the ATVs in OA but from my meager experiences with them in real life, you can't just point them in a direction over any terrain and just go. I've ridden on dirt roads at night and during the day, over rough 'cross country' terrain and even forded a slow moving river (I almost got it stuck in there, actually). The little cross country stuff I did kind of sucked. It was basically find a balance between how bored I was getting moving slow and how much of a beating I was taking moving fast... and might I add, moving fast was still slow.

For night riding on logging roads in the woods, if there were large spider webs, I would feel at home.:D

trust me if you go fast and turn on a ATV even on a flat surface

your coming off :P i have lol

i think a nice balance would be to get rid of the ag bike farmer joe model and bring in the 700cc yamaha raptor :D

The ATVs in A.C.E 2 were fantanstic. Did you ever try them?

They are good, too good infact. Once got hit by an rpg and it flipped twise and i carried on lol.

To add to this discussion; it seems like other vehicles also suffer from excessive bouncy-ness. Driving over bumps will fling the vehicle into the air and make it do barrel rolls. Happend in strykers and a BMP.

It just feels like Arrowhead has the gravity turned waaay down. It was never like this in Arma 2.