Sign in to follow this  
shezan74

Island compatibility between A2 and A2OA

Hi guys.

With the new Operation Arrowhead there is someone that has verified island compatibility between versions?

An Island made for ArmA2 is compatible with A2OA?

What happens if an user has ONLY A2OA?

Backward compatibility is obviously not suitable if you're using pbo's from A2OA, but what happens in those cases, for an island made with A2 objects (excluding chernarus and utes pbo's)?:

- User with A2 and A2OA: i think no problems for compatibility

- User with A2 only: only island made for A2

- User with A2OA: ?

What i need to know is: roads2, buildings, structures, plants2 and other objects are ALSO included in A2OA or they're related only to Chernarus and Duala?

Objects you are mentioning are A2 content only, A20A have different pbo's. For example plants2.pbo is A2 content only.

Well... A2 islands will only A2 compatible. This is sad :(

Maybe BIS could think about a "compatibility pack" that contains ONLY object pbo's (excluding Chernarus and Utes, that are the reason to buy "old" ArmA2) to be released to all users, and save us from those damn compatibility issues...

I'll check all my islands today and see if I can get rid of the "missing" A2 objects without making any sacrifices ;) so Arrowhead only users can enjoy them, too.

Huh?

I thought you could run OA with the ArmA2 "mod" (ie all ArmA2 CA folders etc) switched on ?

I'm sure I saw a OA screenshot from a recent user, with a selectable radio button for "ArmA2" mod folder

Well,

i have tested my maps with OA running arma2 as mod and they work without problems. On the other hand i think most people having bought OA also have Arma2 and the few others may buy it when it is available for little money. For example steam has an offer for 14,99 atm and i think others will follow.

Oh! So standard OA doesn't come with ArmA2 "mod" and you can't use you're existing ArmA2 install as a "mod"?

You have to buy the "Combined Arms" pack to get both?

If you have both, you have full compatibility to every A2 and AO project. You can use A2 install as mod, of course.

The problem is when the user has ONLY THE NEW STAND ALONE EXPANSION and doesn't have the original ArmA2 package.

This problem is related to the "stand alone" release of Arrowhead, that make the product an effective Arma2.1 version. The problem was not existing on the old ArmA1 queen's gambit expansion, that required the original A1 game to work.

@Gnat

no.

You CAN use your existing ArmA 2 install without problems.

The resulting combination is called "Combined Operations".

Cheers,

D.

EDIT: shezan was faster :)

Is Steam intelligent enough to recognize that I already have the original ArmA 2 install / game when purchasing arrowhead? Ie will it install the game into the existing directory or does it do a stand-alone installation?

Anyone know?

Has anyone tried depbo'ing the OA files, plants, rocks, or structures and misc yet??

Islands are compatible? Why? How? I mean, on our server we installed OA over Arma2 so we got Combined Operations on it. When i try to load and play a mission on a map like Thirsk or my Ovaron it just jumps directly back to the mission choice screen. It doesnt even think of loading anything... However Arma2 Standard Maps work.

Any idea what could be the Problem?!? Until i readed this Thread i thought it was a new bug^^