Sign in to follow this  
MavericK96

Getting SLI working in OA before official nVidia profile

So, here's my solution: Take the ArmA2 profile and copy it to OA. I've done this myself and so far it seems to be working just fine, with a good improvement in performance. Here's how I did it:

(NOTE: Requires latest (250-series) drivers)

1. Download the nVidia SLI Profile editing tool here: http://www.geeks3d.com/20100528/manage-your-sli-profiles-with-nvidia-geforce-sli-profile-tool/

2. Export your current profiles with the tool.

3. Edit the exported .txt file to copy the Armed Assault 2 profile information (should be fairly easy to find) and then just rename it to something OA-related, and make sure to change the "Executable" field to arma2oa.exe.

4. Close and save the .txt file.

5. Import the profiles back in using the tool.

6. You're done! You just took all the nVidia app-specific profile information and transferred it to OA. No renaming .exe files, no fuss.

If anyone has any questions about copying the profile I would be more than happy to answer them. I didn't explain in detail how to copy the information but if you look at the profiles in the .txt file you should be able to figure it out. Just add another profile entry below the ArmA2 one by copying and pasting the ArmA2 profile, and editing it to work with OA. Hope this helps!

Thanks! That is just what I'm looking for.

I will advise a word of caution, however. Since I've used this profile OA has killed the video driver twice now while playing. It recovered in Win7, but I had to manually close the game. Not sure if this is game-related or SLI-related, but I'm guessing maybe the copied-over ArmA2 profile is not exactly right for OA.

In any case, YMMV and maybe it's not related to this at all. Never had that problem with ArmA2, though.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:48 PM ----------

Yeah, I just noticed that after the video driver dies, SLI stops working in OA. I have to disable/reenable SLI to get it working again. I'm guessing this is due to the copied profile, though it seems like it should work just fine.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. :cool:

I just tried adding arma2oa.exe to the ArmA2 profile instead of creating a whole new one and the results seem better. Haven't gotten a video driver kill yet, but we'll see.

yep, GeForce SLI Profile Tool makes it all alot easier. i really recommend it, you can experiment with other games settings (crysis etc.), just copy and past from another game and rename the exe.

I wonder how soon we will see a nVidia driver with an OA profile? I created an OA profile within the nvidia applet. Seems to be working. I noticed a huge performance increase and visuals enhancement. But in the profile Ambient Occlusion is not accessable.

I will advise a word of caution, however. Since I've used this profile OA has killed the video driver twice now while playing. It recovered in Win7, but I had to manually close the game. Not sure if this is game-related or SLI-related, but I'm guessing maybe the copied-over ArmA2 profile is not exactly right for OA.

In any case, YMMV and maybe it's not related to this at all. Never had that problem with ArmA2, though.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:48 PM ----------

Yeah, I just noticed that after the video driver dies, SLI stops working in OA. I have to disable/reenable SLI to get it working again. I'm guessing this is due to the copied profile, though it seems like it should work just fine.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. :cool:

I have had this bother recently with both OA and A2, could be the drivers themselves. Monitor comes up with going to sleep and you think the GFX is dead, you can CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get up task manager though.

I have recovered the game by pressing ESCAPE to go into pause menu and then ALT+ENTER to switch to windowed then ALT+Enter to get back into fullscreen mode. Brought the game back from the dead and performance was same as before the driver fail.

Be warned, being a Track IR user I never use freelook and was wonder why the hell my guy wouldn't aim with mouse but looked around instead. Much head scratching, hardware disabling and restarting and a "Doh" later I realised the true extent of my stupidity. 2xLeft ALt is default for freelook. It was late last night, that's my excuse anyway.

I have had this bother recently with both OA and A2, could be the drivers themselves. Monitor comes up with going to sleep and you think the GFX is dead, you can CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get up task manager though.

I have recovered the game by pressing ESCAPE to go into pause menu and then ALT+ENTER to switch to windowed then ALT+Enter to get back into fullscreen mode. Brought the game back from the dead and performance was same as before the driver fail.

Interesting, I'll try that, thanks. :cool:

And yeah, it could be the drivers, because the game continues to run in the background while the display fails. I might be brave enough to try the new beta drivers that just came out, though it seems unlikely that they fixed the issue. Who knows, though? ;)

So adding the .exe for OA to the ArmA2 profile seems to be working better than making a seperate profile for it. No clue why, but I haven't gotten a driver crash yet and I've been playing a fair bit.

The load balancing a lot better now, using adding the .exe approach, but there's still a lot of stuttering especially when my charcter is running.

Looks like I spoke too soon; got the driver death again playing the Laser mission. Recovery given by Liquidpinky worked but I lost a lot of performance (i.e. it stopped using SLI or something). At least I was able to save the mission before closing.

Not sure whether or not to report this as a CIT ticket since it's an unofficial SLI workaround, though I have a feeling that's not really what's causing the problem.

258.69 has a profile for OA and I have had no issues with them whatsoever.

It does? Good to know. I haven't installed those yet. I will give them a shot and report back.

It does? Good to know. I haven't installed those yet. I will give them a shot and report back.

Sure does.

They work fine for me :)

Yup, these seem to work fine for me as well. Got Ambient Occlusion now too. Cool to see the OA Profile in these betas.

Well, for whatever reason after installing the new beta drivers both my ArmA2 and OA profiles don't show up as being "auto-detected" anymore. I can just select "Show all Games", though, and edit the profiles that way, and they seem to work just fine.

Been having one or two "drivers stopped working" incidents today and yesterday. I haven't tried your NVIDIA profile workaround, Maverick, so I doubt your Macgyveyr that is causing the driver issues. I'll try downloading the beta tomorrow morning, seeing if that helps. I have the same rig as yours, so can you give me any tips on what to enable/disable on AO's NVIDIA profile?

Edited by SEALVI

Been having one or two "drivers stopped working" incidents today and yesterday. I'll try downloading the beta tomorrow morning, seeing if that helps. Hey Maverick, we talked before, and I have the same rig as yours. Can you give me any tips on what to enable/disable on AO's NVIDIA profile?

I just use the same settings as ArmA2, since it's the same engine.

Max Frames Ahead = 8

Force Triple Buffer off

Force VSync off

Those are the main ones I use.

How do you go with input lag with max frames at 8? Mouse smoothing off?

Yeah, I turn it off. It's a little jerky but I feel like I'm a lot more accurate with it that way.

Mate, you're a bloody genius.

I went from 20 FPS this morning to 50 this afternoon, and VD 5k to VD 10k. Thanks for your help.

@All: I strongly suggest taking a look at the 258.69 drivers if running an SLi system. And ambient occlusion? Fwuck yeah!

I gotta give that beta driver a try when I got home. With the 257.21 profile, the original game runs fine, but OA stutters.