Sign in to follow this  
jw custom

Why does my OA vegetation look awful?

My performance in OA is very good and buildings etc looks fine but trees and bushes looks like something from OFP.

Trees looks ok when you get up close like 5m from then, while moving towards them they change LOD several times!

Here's some pics of what i see:

vegi1.th.png

vegi2.th.png

vegi3.th.png

vegi5.th.png

vegi6.th.png

My settings:

Everything on high & PP off

Edited by JW Custom

what's the problem? they look good. maybe i need to see it in action or something, but that looks nice.

i think it just stands out more because there are less trees, whereas in previous games, there's always been forests and bunches of trees together, so it's harder to tell.

Try Setting at least PP on normal because of the SSAO. Very high is better SSAO with little impact in performance (At least here)

what's the problem? they look good. maybe i need to see it in action or something, but that looks nice.

i think it just stands out more because there are less trees, whereas in previous games, there's always been forests and bunches of trees together, so it's harder to tell.

Did you play ArmA 2?

Did you watch the screenshots in fullscreen?

Try watch the last of them in fullscreen it's not a pretty sight!

Trees and bushes does not look like this in ArmA 2. You can clear see when you approach a tree that the they got low detail until your almost next to them.

Try Setting at least PP on normal because of the SSAO. Very high is better SSAO with little impact in performance (At least here)

That did nothing but add blur to everything so you feel you got dust in your eyes.

Using -exThreads=3

and

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

seemed to help it somewhat. If you have enough GPU power, you could also try disabling the ingame AF and instead force it via your desktop control panel. There is no mistaking though, the vegetation in A2 does look better.

Using -exThreads=3

and

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

Are you sure parameters like -exThreads=n are available for OA (1.52)? -Didn´t get any information about this so far.

Using -exThreads=3

and

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

seemed to help it somewhat. If you have enough GPU power, you could also try disabling the ingame AF and instead force it via your desktop control panel. There is no mistaking though, the vegetation in A2 does look better.

I'm not using the exThreads parameter as i thought that was done automatically now, but i've just tried and there's no difference whatsoever.

I have already set:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

It looks like the trees details are constantly increasing right until your almost next to them, if thats the optimized vegitation they talked about then it's very disappointing :o

I´m not sure if -exThreads=3 is actually recognized, i applied all tweaks at the same time. Running lower settings than JW, except for PP, it doesn't look as bad - though still a far cry from Chernarus.

oaveg.th.jpg

PS: Using a HD5770 w/ 10.6. Cat. AI - Disabled.

Edited by TangoRomeo

The tree on your left looks ok, but look at the tree at your helmet it looks very low detailed. It shouldnt be that low detailed at that distance, it's way too close!

I really hoped i had a problem my end but it seems like it's made to be this way :(

Maybe BIS were more concerned about performance this time? Because A2 really ran like crap for most people.

Q: Why does my OA vegetation look awful?

A: My performance in OA is very good

My A2 vegetation looked hideous compared to Arma 1 too :confused: .

I really hoped i had a problem my end but it seems like it's made to be this way

Yepp, think that's an area where they were trying to milk out some additional performance. Unfortunately the vegetation part is still what drains down performance considerably for me, even with OA "LOD-Optimisations", resulting in less crisp detail. The performance hit i get switching PP from normal to very high is negligible. Switching terrain from low to normal or even high, is not. :eek:

Maybe BIS were more concerned about performance this time? Because A2 really ran like crap for most people.

My A2 vegetation looked hideous compared to Arma 1 too :confused: .

Well my performance in OA is not much better than in A2 and if you compare the amount of trees and bushes it's next to nothing... so making trees looking like crap hasn't accomplished much.

Hmm, but Tangoromeo's doesnt look as bad as yours (doesnt look bad at all imo).

Have you tried increasing 3d resolution to say 150% just to see if it helps?

Hmm, but Tangoromeo's doesnt look as bad as yours (doesnt look bad at all imo).

Have you tried increasing 3d resolution to say 150% just to see if it helps?

Yes they does look as bad, just not the tree his standing next too. Look at the tree at his helmet, that look bad but it's a little disguised by the blur hell from pp. His 3D res is also at 100% as you can see in the pic.

But ok i'll try mess with the 3D res and report back.

Ive noticed the same thing on the vegetation but also on vehicles. It seems like it does load the high res textures sometimes.

Ive noticed the same thing on the vegetation but also on vehicles. It seems like it does load the high res textures sometimes.
Yeah, Ive noticed this on vehicles too and its really very annoying sometimes - you are just few metres away from vehicle and textures and probably LOD switching starts....what about smooth LOD and textures switching, like in GTA IV ? :)

3D resolution @ 150%

Tree from rather short distance looks awful:

vegi1.th.png

Tree up close looks decent:

vegi2.th.png

what about smooth LOD and textures switching, like in GTA IV ? :)

I think thats something similar to that they are trying to do as you can see the tree changing LOD several times when you approach it from like 100m distance.

I'd rather have less overall detail than annoying LOD switching the models betwean 1998 and 2010 style, i hope its not as bad as the Arma 2 cardboard hmmwv M2...

I'd rather have less overall detail than annoying LOD switching the models betwean 1998 and 2010 style

Agree.

3D resolution @ 150%

Tree from rather short distance looks awful:

Oh.. i see what you mean now, its alot worse than A2 indeed.

I had that kind of stuff with Arma 2 when i used high texture detail but it also happened to some of the buildings, maybe decreasing some of the video settings will help, other than that i wouldnt worry too much about it untill OA is patched to 1.7.

Oh.. i see what you mean now, its alot worse than A2 indeed.

I had that kind of stuff with Arma 2 when i used high texture detail but it also happened to some of the buildings, maybe decreasing some of the video settings will help, other than that i wouldnt worry too much about it untill OA is patched to 1.7.

Just tried with lower settings but that changes nothing.

I can stand about 20m from a tree and zoom with right mouse button and see the trees LOD change :eek:

Well as you say let's see what the next patch brings :)

JW_Custom

this has been a problem for along time, its the outcome of BIS's LOD handling within RV3 I dont think anything helps except for 150+ fillrate

going in zargabad seems to be pretty bad in terms of LOD poping, I will have to test when OA arrives for me.

and yes Heatseeker im also disappointed, the trees dont look very good and theres numerous reports of the performance not being much better even though theres way less objects and detail to render through.

I'd rather have less overall detail than annoying LOD switching the models betwean 1998 and 2010 style, i hope its not as bad as the Arma 2 cardboard hmmwv M2...
Thats the thing. While I don't get much vegetation LOD switching I get a lot of vehicle LOD switching...especially the humvees. Player model LOD issues seem improved same with buildings but the humvees in my game keep LOD switching.