Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

@jonneymendoza:

Try running the game using the arma2OA.exe inside your ArmA2 directory. If everything is combined as it is supposed to, you should be able to see the ArmA2 islands (Utes and Chernarus) in the list along with the OA islands when you go into the Editor.

If you have this part working, just simply create an icon on your desktop by right-clicking on the arma2oa.exe and rename it to i.e. "Combined Ops" afterwards.

Edited by CoolFire

If i launch the game without steam running i get a popup asking if i want to run Combined ops. If steam is allready open it doesn't ask and it only runs OA. How do i get it so i just have a desktop shortcut whether steam is open or not so it always runs combined ops?

Noob here. And by noob, I mean noob to ArmA 2 and Windows 7 PC gaming. :o I just bought a new PC just for this game as I'm/was a Mac user & console gamer. I bought this awesome game from Sprocket not realizing the 2 installers for Combined Ops needed to be installed in an order. I installed Arrowhead first.

I wish I had known the proper install method before I downloaded and installed OA first. :eek:

I am not a Steam user. Running Windows 7 (64) Ultimate here.

I have 2 separate directories (ArmA 2 & ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead) in my Bohemian Interactive directory. I read through much of this forum thread which is a mile long and I didn't find a solution to my problem. I placed the _runA2CO_nonSteamOA.cmd file in the OA directory (where arma2OA.exe resides) and started the game, but it did nothing. I have looked in regedit, and I see no errors as described in the initial post. I also doubleclicked the file to see a cmd prompt flash for a moment, and that did nothing. I still have 2 directories.

Btw either games hasn't been patched with the latest patch.

I now see why these 2 games need to be combined, since OA doesn't have an editor and what not.

Since I'm a noob and don't know how to deal with the registry, manually fix this issue, or have the time to go through 50+ pages of a forum thread which seems to mostly be Steam users -can/should I just uninstall both games and install them again, as I should have in the first place? Meaning, ArmA 2 first, then OA second? Then patch them? Plus, before patching them, since I want the ACE packs, does it matter if those are installed before the patch?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by neven

Finally fixed my setup. I had bought Combined Ops from Sprocket.

The problem was the Arma II install via sprocket didnt setup the registry paths properly, so it didnt detect that the game was installed. (neither did the patch) So each game was installed in its own folder. However, after fixing the registry paths manually and reinstalling AO via the sprocket setup, it detected it and sent it to the Arma directory.

So I guess the easiest way was to just manually rechange the directory to the Arma II one.

P.s the batch file did work, however it wasnt showing Arma II in the expansions, so I thought I'd reinstall OA just to be sure.

I'm having the exact same problem and here it is 4/2011. I just d/l'd "Combined Operations" from Sprocket. What I got was two games, both Arma 2 (combined ops) & OA (combined ops). Installed Arma 2 then tried installing OA two different ways:

I'd understood OA needed to be in the same dir as Arma 2. The installer wanted to put it into its own dir (Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead). I changed the destination to Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2. This resulted in OA being installed as

c:/bohemian Interactive/Arma 2/Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

I applied 1.59 patch. No joy

I uninstalled OA (via Revo which eliminates any leftover registry entries, etc.) and reinstalled letting the installer define the 'default' path (Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead)

This resulted in two folders under Bohemian Interactive:

C://Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2

C://Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

I applied the 1.59 patch and still no joy.

By 'no joy' I mean I do not see Arma 2 under OA expansions nor do I have a CO launcher icon.

I decided to see what would happen if I just moved the OA folder into the Arma 2 directory (per the above?). Boy did that screw things up.

So now I've again uninstalled OA again and sitting here with just an Arma 2 install and no idea what to should do/try next. Anyone have any ideas?

@neven

If you wont arma 2 co then first instal arma 2 then

arrowhead to the main arma 2 folder. In the end download patch 1.59 for arrowhead and instal him. After instalation

1.59 your arma 2 will by patch also to version 1.09.

Mods and addons instal any time you wont befor or after patching the game.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

@Westsailor

if you instal arma 2 in:

c:\blabla\arma2

and you wont arma 2 co then arrowhead instal to:

c:\blabla\arma2

run the game with

arma2co.exe and that all.

Success! OK, the 'problem' is with the Sprocket installer.

Even though I purchased Arma (Combined Ops) and Operation Arrowhead (Combined Ops) the installer for OA defaults to installing them as separate games, i.e.

Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2

Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead

If you know that OA needs to be installed under the ArmA 2 folder (which isn't explained in any installation/readme files) then when the installer asks where you want OA installed it's easy to 'browse' and just select the Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 folder.

However, if you do that (and are not paying attention) then you get an OA installation of

Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2/Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead.

The 'problem' is, the installer forces an extra Bohemian Interactive 'root' folder for any OA installation.

What you have to do is 'browse' to point to the Arma 2 folder then manually edit the extra 'Bohemian Interactive' out of the install path. i.e.

c:/Bohemian Interactive/Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2

to:

c:/Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2

Not sure if this is an issue with other download sources (steam, etc.) or DVD versions but it's definitely the reason CO doesn't install properly with the Sprocket version.

Guys, one question here.

Is it possible to merge RFT with A2?

Thanks. Really thinking about buying RFT.

@neven

If you wont arma 2 co then first instal arma 2 then

arrowhead to the main arma 2 folder. In the end download patch 1.59 for arrowhead and instal him. After instalation

1.59 your arma 2 will by patch also to version 1.09.

Mods and addons instal any time you wont befor or after patching the game.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

BINGO!

Did as said and all seems to be working. Also, I concur with Westsailor

What you have to do is 'browse' to point to the Arma 2 folder then manually edit the extra 'Bohemian Interactive' out of the install path. i.e.

c:/Bohemian Interactive/Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2

to:

c:/Bohemian Interactive/Arma 2

Applied the 1.59 patch to my CO.

Apparently 1.09 isn't needed for CO as 1.59 does the updates.

Thanks for the guidance and help. Now to customize a few things and get on the islands. :)

@Bouben

im not sure

but in Reinforcements you get arrowhead lite ?-units without campaign and mission and 2 dlc baf and pmc.

I think beter buy arrowhead first and download baf and pmc or then buy reinforcements :)

@Bouben

im not sure

but in Reinforcements you get arrowhead lite ?-units without campaign and mission and 2 dlc baf and pmc.

I think beter buy arrowhead first and download baf and pmc or then buy reinforcements :)

Man, I never play campaigns or missions. I just want OA features and those two DLCs so it is not worth the money for me to buy full OA. From what I know the features and models are full-quality even in lite. Only the missions and campaing is missing. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

@Bouben

Ok, in this case buy only reinforcements.

I just bought arma 2 and oa from steam. I did the cache thing and ran arma 2 first. Then I did the cache thing on oa and played it. Then I ran the runa2co.cmd. But when I go play it so I can't see the arma 2 missions and campaigns. I tried reinstalling and cleaning the register but it didn't work.

Most confusing thread ive ever read! I have A2 retail version and ive just bought A2:OA and BAF on Steam, what do i need to do to make it CO?

Most confusing thread ive ever read! I have A2 retail version and ive just bought A2:OA and BAF on Steam, what do i need to do to make it CO?

Buy Arma2 on steam.

Wynthorpe, did you read the instructions described in the 1st post of this thread on how to combine A2 + AO into CO?

because if You read carefully just first post You would know it all

it's about people skipping the important part ;)

anyway You can combine any distribution of the game to get the A2: CO

so in your case if You installed Your retail ARMA 2 properly (and registry has path to where game is)

then all You need is use the A2: CO menu option in STEAM

and ofcourse BOTH .cmd works for You

_runA2CO

_runA2COnonsteam

Well... I think I have got it right now. But I do have a question...

before that, just so you know my setup:

-Arma 2 Steam version standalone install

-Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Steam version standalone install

-Combining method is the "fully manual way" as explained in the first post

(where you create directory junctions - Win7)

First of all in regards to the "\keys" directory instead of "juntioning" it (there was already one present after clean install of OA) i just coppied the A2 key file over. The same with "\userconfigs" dir, so that I can have different mod configs depending if I am running A2 alone or CO.

To follow up on this method I created a shortcut much the same way as defined in the "_runA2CO.cmd" batch:

>> "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=EXPANSION;ca <<

Ok, that cleared, heres the question: I noticed sometimes I get Cfg***** "is missing" or whatever, I am allowed to join the server anyways with no trouble so far. I am suspecting I am getting these errors because of the order in which "mods" are being loaded (ie. "EXPANSION" before "ca" instead of the other way around). "ca" in my lexicon is Arma 2 base standard files and "EXPANSION" is OA related. Shouldn't the proper order of loading be "-mod=ca;EXPANSION"?

This one turns into a 2nd question:

What about the (lite) versions of BAF and PMC, is there a way to force their loading after "ca" and "EXPANSION"? Because no matter how I load A2CO these always come first in the in-game Expansions dialog. Does that even matter, despite being the most logic?

Is there anyone able to clear this up?

EDIT:

I could also add that in the in-game server browser, in the "Expansions" section some servers have different orders in their mod listing.

Some like this:

Arma 2;Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead;Arma 2: British Armed Forces (lite);Arma 2: Private Military Company (lite);

Others like this:

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead;Arma 2;Arma 2: British Armed Forces (lite);Arma 2: Private Military Company (lite); (example >> =7Cav= Tactical Realism 1.59 [A2+OA])

Edited by gammadust

leave the order as it's set ...

and no it dont matter in the UI ...

in fact if it works don't break it :)

WILCO! and tnx Dwarden

I'm a thinkerer, can't help it...

@ Bouben

Yes that should be possible (should as I don't have first hand experience with A2R).

I have just got Arma2(PCdvd) and OA(PCdvd) should arive in the post tomorrow. I have seen that there are a number of updates for each title.

Should I install Arma2 first and do all the updates for that?

Then install OA and do all the updates for that?

Then try to combine them?

Thanks for any help.

Would copying the ArmA 2 data folder to my Steam OA folder, and adding as a mod on the end of my OA shortcut work?

I have tried the main solution but it doesn't seem to work.

EDIT:

Actually nevermind, I get paid at the end of the month so I think I'll just buy CO

Edited by moleman657

@godonholiday

You dont have too. Install arma 2 lunch the game. Then install OA in the same folder you make Arma 2 CO. Lunch the game. And then instal OA patch 1.59 its also patch your arma 2 too v1.09 so far the newest version.