Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

I think I have discovered what my problem is.

I installed Arma2OA to the same folder that I had installed Arma2 which combined them automatically.

The executable created for Arma2OA simply initiates the Arma2 folder with both versions inside.

Can I install Arma2OA again in the Bohemia Interactive folder right next to the Arma2 and Arma2OA combination folder and be able to run OA alone? Will that mess anything up?

Edited by savedbygrace

Yes, you can install OA into different folder, at you can then run AO separately, and if you wish, you can still run it as CO (with appropriate -mod shortcut).

So if I bought the Combined Ops pack do I still have to combine them?

Yup. I did that just so I'd have a nice and short startup line. Installed ArmA2 to E:\CO then installed OA and BAF to the same folder. Start the game like this:

E:\CO\arma2oa.exe "-mod=E:\CO;Expansion;ca;baf" -nosplash

E:\CO loads the ArmA2 content, Expansion loads the Arrowhead content, ca loads the common content and baf loads BAF content.

The only drawback to this is that some items are doubled up in the Editor, the A2 version being named the same as the OA version. There's a tool you can download that will allow you to get around that and launch it as OA only, but it doesn't bother me much. :)

I have boxed ArmA2 and boxed ArmA2 OA and sprocket BAF.

I install ArmA2 in default Bohemia folder

I install ArmA2 in separate folder call "Arrowhead"

I install BAF

So what I need to do to run CO?

Sorry but I read couple pages before and I really don't understand.

What to copy where?

Which code line to make?

Do I need uninstall all - and install ArmA2 OA in ArmA2 folder?

And If I want to run A.C.E. mod It confuses me because A.C.E. mod have same name for addons like @ACE - @ACEX for ArmA2 A.C.E. v1.3 and for ArmA2 OA A.C.E. v. 1.5

Big thanks if someone can help me:)

Just wanting to clarify I'm understanding correctly

I have the ArmA2 DVD patched to 1.07

If I buy the OA DVD or download (not steam), as long as I install it into the same directory as ArmA2 it will work like any other expansion? (ie. Queens Gambit for ArmA1) without extra messing about?

Also, will I still be able to play on standard 1.07 servers without issues, or will I need to "split" them up?

Hi all, new to both the game and forum.

Tomorrow i will buy Arma2, i allready have OA but will reinstall Win 7 x64 today.

My question is, should i install Arma 2 and install OA in the same place and then just run the latest 1.54 OA patch so it becomes Combined Operation?

Best Regards Schalin

System: Windows 7 64bit

Arma2: Steam ArmaOA:Steam

OLD TEXT:

I've found on windows 7, even when running everything as Administrator; there can be problems with running various commands outside of their directories (e.g. running 'reg' outside of the system32/syswow64 folder).

Anyway, a solution to get the combined ops working if all the other solutions seem to have failed is to run the _runA2CO.cmd file from within the system32/syswow64 folder itself (copy/paste it into the folder to run it there).

I know this isn't an ideal solution, but I'm hoping what I've found will allow a more computer-savvy user to work out what permissions need changed etc to allow the commands to run from within steams armaOA folder.

Since posting this I have worked out the problem that prevents some users from using the required commands. If you type "path" into the command prompt (run -> cmd) and it does not list "C:\WINDOWS\system32" below, then you won't be able to run the Combined Operations file until fixing it:

Right Click on My Computer

Goto the Advanced Tab (Advanced System Settings link on windows 7)

Go down to Environmental Variables

Where it says "User Variables" - Click New

Name: PATH

Value: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Then also add

NAME: PATH

Value: C:\WINDOWS\sysWoW64

You should then be able to run the _runA2OC.cmd from the arma2OA folder if you run it as administrator. If you've set up your administrator permissions properly, you should now also be able to run it straight from Steam. If you still can't run it from steam, but can run it directly by running the _runA2OC.cmd file - then it may be best to make a shortcut to that on your desktop for now until a proper fix comes along.

I hope this works for you, if you need me to clarify anything or have a better way to fix this, please contact me on steam - wmckendr.

Thanks.

Edited by Kokuya

here's a much more user friendly 'junction' script pack I just made.

http://www.506th-pir.org/scripts/oktane/combine_A2_and_OA_into_CO.zip

If you want to run CO, I recommend you just junction the directories. It's straightforward, and the most trouble free, especially if you have Steam OA. The problem with !@# Steam is that it chokes on long command line options, so if you have lots of mods, it gets stuck saying 'Launching ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead...' and never starts the blasted game. When you junction the directories, you no longer need to run in Steams 'CO mode', because it's automatic. This saves a shitload of characters on the commandline, because now it doesn't need -mod=ca;c:\program files\steam\steamapps\arma2" etc.

I wish BIS would refrain with the 'advanced users only' scare, because with a little work on the batch file package, it's very easy to use.

I am only posting this to help anyone else it may affect, as I've had to fix several OA installs via remote control that wouldn't work with long mod lines because of this issue. Junctions is the way to go if you cannot install the games into the same directory. (ie, you have Steam) MP works fine! Why would you ever need to run OA Standalone anyways? (Perhaps if you are a mission author, that wants to make clean OA-only missions.. just use Deadfast's CO disabler.)

BTW: To undo the junctions, just delete the Addons and Dta directories in your OA directory. (don't delete the ones in your ArmA2 directory!) This will make OA standalone again.

I hope this issue is fixed in the next retail patch with the registry improvements. There's no logical reason OA itself can't detect if the original game is installed via the same registry keys the batch file uses..

Steam and BIS games never seem to get along! :mad: This really isn't being treated as a big enough issue. Official batch files that launch the game are bit ridiculous... (No offense to the author, Dwarden?, but imo the engine exe is more than capable of reading the registry on launch.. possibly provide -noA2 or -oaOnly command line paramaters to disable automatic CO detection.)

Hoping for the next patch!

Cheers

(ps Dwarden, feel free to improve your scripts with this if you wish)

Edited by oktane

oktane if you paid attention i said it will be resolved ...

also you obviously missed the first post with included 2 junctions solution

one is via OS mklink (w7/vista) another with Sysinternals junction (xp)

i also bet that Sysinternals's software You are redistributing w/o licence file or readme is not possible way for me to officially do ...

not to mention junctions are in certain aspect unrealiable and thus i was not able use it in first place by default

so nothing new :(

anyway back to first line ... work in progress ...

oktane if you paid attention i said it will be resolved ...

also you obviously missed the first post with included 2 junctions solution

one is via OS mklink (w7/vista) another with Sysinternals junction (xp)

i also bet that Sysinternals's software You are redistributing w/o licence file or readme is not possible way for me to officially do ...

not to mention junctions are in certain aspect unrealiable and thus i was not able use it in first place by default

so nothing new :(

anyway back to first line ... work in progress ...

The sysinternals software includes the EULA. Upon first run, the EULA is displayed, and the user can accept or deny. However, you are correct in that you cannot redistribute it, I would not in your position. But in my position, I don't mind. I suppose it could be made easier if it fetched the exe from the sysinternals ftp, avoiding the issue. (edit, here's a version 2 which does just that, fetches it legally from live.sysinternals.com as their license directs... )

If you had looked at what I posted before becoming defensive, I simply improved the junction script you put in the first post with more help text and error handling, so.. of course I read the post fully, downloaded your junction script, and then made improvements to it. Yet, the core of the script is identical. Please don't confuse my passion and desire for the game to be more friendly to new players as an attack on your scripts. What is troubling to me is that the problem and temporary solution appeared to have been dumped on to you to solve, perhaps because it wasn't taken as a very high priority issue by the programming team in the beginning.

I and many others continue to appreciate your community outreach. But this is one issue that seemed glaring enough, troubling a large subsection of the userbase that own both games, that I thought (and this is just my opinion) it deserved a real engine fix, not a interm batch file solution for many months... Please understand, this does not disrespect your effort to help people here in this thread!. Just felt that more programmer resources could have been put towards this for a complete fix.

Edited by oktane
give thanks

nah it's only saying it's not that easy make it simpler more than it is :)

plus it makes no sense for me as we are working on the final in binary solution anyway

or i just don't want to risk the make it more complicated than it is ;)

ofcourse i'm happy / fine with Your way / approach ... :)

I have the dvd version of arma 2 up to 1.07 and OA Steam version, how do I combine them?

So am I to understand that there is no to activate mods and add-ons from the Expansions menu in the STEAM version of Combined Ops?

Is there still going to be a patch that fixes this?

And another thing, how come you dont just give us an proper official working mod launcher instead of us having to find custom third party launchers?

Hello. Please forgive if I have missed something. The sticky at the beginning says:

"note: this is only for these who have A2 and OA directories standalone"

Well I have disk OA installed and I have A2 on disk, but not installed - thus I do not have A2 directories yet.

Should I install A2 and then follow the combine procedure or is BI working on a OA patch that will recognize a subsequent A2 install and combine them appropriately?

If there is a patch in the works - what is the ETA?

Well let see where to start? I have both Arma 2 & Arma 2 - OA from Steam, when I updated to the lastest version thru steam I can only run Arma 2? I have tried everything in this forum's Post, and nothing seems to work... I have tried uninstalling Arma 2 - OA and then re-installed it then revalidated Arma 2 before trying to run OA or Combined Ops. I have also DL'd the "_runA2CO.cmd" file also and Nothing is working for me... I have "Windows 7 Ultimate x64", everything ran fine before this damn update... and to be honest, this is getting extremely annoying to go thru after every update!!! Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!

Guest General Nuisance

Hello,

I am considering buying "Operation Arrowhead" for the additional content and more than anything, an updated and hopefully better optimised game engine. Is "Combined Operations" merely the retail DVD package which includes both the "ArmA 2" and "OA" discs and not an additional programme?

When the time comes, I will purchase "OA" not through Steam but from an online retailer with a DVD package. In that case, all I'd have to do is download the _runA2CO_nonSteamOA.zip file and then run the _runA2CO_nonSteamOA.cmd script?

I have ordered Arma 2 and I was wondering if I had to

uninstall Arma Operation Arrowhead and then install Arma 2

then Arma Operation Arrowhead in order to it to work.

i have arma2 on disk but my arma2 AH and BAF are from steam someone kindly help a complete noobie on getting these to run together what patch/mods i need ect?

im not pc savvy when coming to installing stuff so excuse my noobness!!

excuse me but there is no re-validate option in steam what do you mean?

never mind found that.

I can not get my other addons to work now that I did this all I have available is in the expansion list like this;

Arma 2 British armed forces

Arma 2

Arma 2 operation Arrowhead

Arma 2

that's it.

How do i get my other addons working with this combined version?

its not even working this way either; "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\_runA2CO.cmd" -mod=@CBA;@CBA_A2;@ace;@acex;@acex_RU;@acwx_SM;@acex_USNavey;@gdtmod;@SAP

Edited by Mastiff