Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

So i can never get my mods that are in my Arma2 folder to show up in the Expansions list on OA? Because i have 2 steam versions?

I want to get back to using ACE and do not want to have duplicate copies of every mod in both folders. :mad:

This better get fixed ASAP.

Yep, that sums it up good.

Totally agree with the above.

Seems to me like there's not going to be a real fix till there's a real combined Arma2/OA exe. Till then its just a strap on fix that's not going to provide full functionality for anyone not wanting to play vanilla.

I honestly expected better than this, I understand that its difficult in dealing with steam etc, but 'seamless integration with the content of Arma2' this is emphatically not. :(

i will see if it can be done safely (merging of both installs)

and if yes then try tie it with next major update going on STEAM

yet when actual solution works, it easily 'blend' together with users using retail (nonSTEAM) ARMA 2 etc.

so that would need to be adjusted after the merge also ...

(e.g. removing the option if you own both games on STEAM and keeping if You own only A2:OA on STEAM)

Would'nt it be possible to register a boxed version of arma2 with steam

I saw this allready with other games e.g. X3 (Egosoft).

Than this would allow for a complete STEAM install

boxed A2 (propagated license to steam) and steam OA -> STEAM

Yep, that sums it up good.

not correct, you can for sure use mods by this style

_runA2CO.cmd "-mod=;@CBA;Expansion\@CBA"

this needs directories/files configuration below:

\ARMA 2\@CBA

and

\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\@CBA

were present

where the OA one is junction symlink leading to A2 directory (this mean same data in both)

note because of use of -mod, the expansion menu not reports the mods You are loading

(but you can notice proper XEH init in RPT)

Edited by Dwarden

So i can never get my mods that are in my Arma2 folder to show up in the Expansions list on OA? Because i have 2 steam versions?

I want to get back to using ACE and do not want to have duplicate copies of every mod in both folders. :mad:

This better get fixed ASAP.

if you have @ACE in ARMA 2

for STEAM users on Windows Vista/Seven You can do this via junction

type in c: commandline

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA\@ACE

mklink /J ".\@CBA" "..\ARMA 2\@ACE"

and now You have junction link leading from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead\@ACE

to original @ACE directory

then all you need is call the batch file like this

_runA2CO.cmd "-mod=;@ACE"

p.s. for less skilled people i attached batch

all you need is do extract and run with

_junctionTHISmod4me.cmd modfoldername

e.g.

_junctionTHISmod4me.cmd @ACE

Edited by Dwarden

Thanks for providing the junction link information but I do think the overall fix is to merge the OA STEAM intallation into the ARMA2 installation (like the boxed installation).

Having 2 separate 'configurations' (so to speak) is both a burden (to you as devs), and confusing to users (especially non-literate PC users); and also just becomes a management burden for users who add/remove mods constantly.

Edited by LondonLad

Thanks for providing the junction link information but I do think the overall fix is to merge the OA STEAM intallation into the ARMA2 installation (like the boxed installation).

Having 2 separate 'configurations' (so to speak) is both a burden (to you as devs), and confusing to users (especially non-literate PC users).

sure but that can't be done now, it will take time ...

so take it as temporary resolution until that happen

at least now You can play CO + mods and have fun ...

I totally understand its a workaround.

I'm trying to come from the perspective of a non-literate PC user who isn't so savvy with the inner workings of a PC. It's a nightmare scenario for them.

I do understand the 'overall' solution (I'd like to see, which is the merge) will take time. I just hope it's something that is seriously being considered, if not being worked on already. (I'm sure I read in another reply from yourself that it's something that your looking into doing)

Although the boxed versions seem to merge perfectly

[albeit with checking the Program Files (86) problem]

There are minor issues like using mod launchers ie

"error compiling pixel shader PSSpecular Alpha:0"

which presumably the poor devils wrestling with steam will have as their next encounter. Is there a suitable thread for Post Merging niggles?

Edited by Malaspina
spelling

Im sorry, I am having problems.

I have the dvd version of arma 2, and the dvd version of OA.

Both are installed here:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive

I started OA, and in the expansions i only see OA.

I did note that initially my OA was installed here:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\

So then i moved it into the above folder, and changed the registry.

What am I doing wrong?

did you let the setup first upgrade the ARMA 2 at least to version 1.06 (or 1.07) before merging them into single folder ?

i was running 1.07 before i installed oa.

When you say merging them together, is something supposed to happen?

I just have this:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\

which contains an arma 2 folder, and an oa folder.

if i run oa, i see the extensions area, is that where the arma 2 stuff is supposed to be? there is nothing there except oa. when I open editor, i cant see any of my a2 content.

Exactly.

@ahmedjbh

I think you should have left it as it was... Arrowhead will default install itself into an "expansion" folder within the original Arma2 directory - you start the game using the new ArmA2OA.exe... first time you run it - go to the new "expansions" menu option - you'll see Arma2 - check that box and click "enable" - it will want to restart the game - let it...

That should be you fully integrated... furthermore - all your original Arma2 modfolders should also be displayed in the "expansions" menu item - you can enable or disable them in the same way... you lucky, lucky person, you... ;)

@Dwarden

Thanks for all the effort you're putting in here... After winning an OA Steam key in the recent PCFormat Chernarus Rhapsody Tournament (rare banana alert! :yay:), I've just become a Noob Steam User... Maan, it's a fuss!

Still - with your latest batch file, I seem to be able to run CombinedOps OK - hurray! (Win 7 x64 by the way)...

I chop and change mods a lot depending on whether I'm wearing my "try everything in SP", "minimal required MP", or "island development" hat, so I'll be having a go at mod-enabling and your new junctions batch next...

I also seem to be struggling with running the new .exe as buldozer, as others seem to have managed - though that may be more a Stupidity rather than a Steam issue... I'll persevere and/or discuss that techie point elsewhere than this "General" thread tho...

Here's hoping for a forthcoming more elegant solution! meantime - thanks for the support so far!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

well, im uninstalling oa.

Then will reinstall. It is probably my fault lol.

I will report back.

edit: oa is one the slowest installing games i have ever seen.

I second that comment hehehehe took ages on my pc and my pc is not bad its all SATA etc.

I suspect if you copied the contents of the OA folder and pasted it into your arma folder then deleted the original OA folder all would be well.

Mine happened automatically .

I've had an interesting experience with all this. I have four A2 machines here on our LAN, 3 desktops (all XP with GTX280s) and one notebook(XP), and four steam accounts. All w Arma2 working great on them.

So I had two DVD installs of OA and 2 steam installs of OA. On one of the disk installs I needed to install the OA on the d: drive instead of a c: due to space. And then just following the patch sequence for A2 and A2OA so I didn't monkey with anything else. In every case OA worked fine but in only one case did the default run A2OA combined work.

The 2 dvd installs defaulted to A2 sub directories. The two steam installs defaulted to creating a separate operation arrowhead. So in the end I have:

1 PC with A2 and A2OA (steam) directories under steam. I just installed these default and patched them default. They wouldn't combine until the cmd that was posted last here was installed. Works OK now. In combined mode will only recognize A2 and A2OA mods but none of the downloaded mods I have in A2 dir. IN OA mode will recognize any mod installed into OA only.

1 PC with A2 on C: and A2 on D: (Thats the OA dvd install ). I Had to do this due to space issues on the C drive. All patched up.OA runs fine off the shortcut. Now on this PC Steam doesn't even recognize OA is on board (added it as a non steam game). Works Ok now. In combined mode will only recognize A2 and A2OA mods but none of the downloaded mods I have in A2 dir) IN OA mode will recognize any mod installed into OA only.

1 PC with A2 and an A2OA (dvd) installs but the entire thing during the patch sequence was merged into the same A2 directory under steam. But steam only recognizes A2 and not A2OA, though I could run OA fine using a Shortcut. I added it to steam as a non steam game. Works Ok now.NOTE: on this install I can see and choose ALL the mods I have under A2OA combined mode which is nice.

Notebook with A2 and A2OA (steam) directories under steam. I just installed these default and patched them default. They wouldn't combine until the cmd that was posted last here was installed. Works OK now. In combined mode will only recognize A2 and A2OA mods but none of the downloaded mods I have in A2 dir) IN OA mode will recognize any mod installed into OA only.

Why the variation in what directors these ended up on between steam and dvd install after the patch process and the variation in what mods I can see when. (Give that on three of the four installs I just selected default install and patch options.Should I move all the various OA installs into teh A2 default directory? Since that seems to be the one that works best. Thanks.

Los

Is there anyway to get additional launch parameters to work with combined operations either trough steam or shortcut? (i.e -forcedirectdx9)

mods will not be recognized as long as -mod= switch is used

and that's exactly how this solution works ...

so you need define them as per my post

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1670109&postcount=243

also there is no other way how detect on STEAM you have installed other retail game

(the steam using hardcoded paths where games are installed)

so you must do it otherway around, adjust to where is STEAM game installed

most easier method is usage of NTFS links

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Is there anyway to get additional launch parameters to work with combined operations either trough steam or shortcut? (i.e -forcedirectdx9)

download the updated cmd from first post in this thread

and replace with it the one located in

\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\ARMA 2 OPERATION ARROWHEAD\

it will run up to 9 parameters fine

you can also create own copies of it and edit per your need for beta or mod launching then create shortcuts to these

ok, it now works for me.

Basically if you have retail DVD, just dont change the install directory, it causes many problems.

download the updated cmd from first post in this thread

and replace with it the one located in

\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\ARMA 2 OPERATION ARROWHEAD\

it will run up to 9 parameters fine

you can also create own copies of it and edit per your need for beta or mod launching then create shortcuts to these

Hey,

I did this and launched the game from steam (combined operations mode) and the launch parameters I had were: -forcedirectdx9 -cpuCount=4

First I thought it worked fine (the integration was correcT) but then I noticed the poor performacne in game and ran the benchmark scenario, got an average fps of 33. Then I launched operation arrowhead alone with the exact same launch parameters set in steam and ran the benchmark again , average fps 40. It's not only the lower fps but in directx 10 mode I get slow ups every second (a small hicup) but that makes the game unplayable due to the dwindling fps.

So in conclusion I think your script doesnt handle the launch parameters correctly or should I try something like.. "-forcedirectdx9" "-cpuCount=4" or what?

Hey,

I did this and launched the game from steam (combined operations mode) and the launch parameters I had were: -forcedirectdx9 -cpuCount=4

First I thought it worked fine (the integration was correcT) but then I noticed the poor performacne in game and ran the benchmark scenario, got an average fps of 33. Then I launched operation arrowhead alone with the exact same launch parameters set in steam and ran the benchmark again , average fps 40. It's not only the lower fps but in directx 10 mode I get slow ups every second (a small hicup) but that makes the game unplayable due to the dwindling fps.

So in conclusion I think your script doesnt handle the launch parameters correctly or should I try something like.. "-forcedirectdx9" "-cpuCount=4" or what?

there is no DirectX 10 mode, the game is only DirectX9

there is no -forcedirectx9 switch

-cpuCount=4 is by default for quadcore or more

so using it makes no difference if you have quadcore

if you have 6core Xeon or AMD cpu then ofcourse use 6

for most people more than 4 with hyperthreading enabled results into negative performance

anyway in nutshell you want to say usage of the cmdline lowers powerformance ?

Edited by Dwarden

Ok so I perhaps I should uninstall D drive and reinstall to C drive. WRT to DVD install with the Securerom, If I uninstall will it release my cd key so I can reinstall? Or do I have to go to heir BS website to jump through hoops?

Los

I have retail Arma 2 and I am getting Operation Arrowhead. Most likely if I want to play with my friends ASAP and getting it a bit cheaper, I would have to get it from Steam.

What kind of complications does this produce? Mods not working? Are Steam players ignored on some servers?

How excatly would combining these games work if I bought OA from Steam?