Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

Hello guys I have solved the problem and made merging a success for those that have downloaded both steam versions download this file the file began thanks to Dwarden but with time I found the error regarding steam users ( file is runA2CO but edited lines to find the arma steam directories ) Place this file where your Arma 2 OA.exe can be found and run it. this should start the game with your arma 2 maps and and default pbos

Edited by kill4eva
describe file

Isn't it possible to just copy the content from the standard ArmA 2 directory into the OA directory? This is essentially how it works with the retail release. If I'm thinking about this the right way, this is a much less intensive way of running the game with the original content with mods, etc. without having to mess with multiple batch files and their subsequent shortcuts.

Yes read my previous post. Just copy the Addon folder from A2

into your OA folder. Mine was large, around 8gig.:yay:

OK have spent hours reading and trying to do this as directed by various forum post. I must admit that i am not very computer smart and have been lost following the people trying to help. However I have got it working and thought that I would help out the rest in the same boat as me.

Follow these simple steps and it should work, If your dvd version of ARMA 2 and Steam version of OA are installed into their default directories.

1: Download the file runA2CO.zip in Dwardens sticky ARMA 2: CO (how combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together) in the BI arma-oa general forum.

2: Unzip it and place the unzipped file into your Steam OA directory (the steam/steamapps/common/arma 2 operation arrowhead) one

3: Edit it by right clicking on _runA2CO and selecting edit.

4: Delete the line under run ie "%ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%ARMA2PATH%;%ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION"

5: Copy the following "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2;C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION" and paste it under run where the other one was.

6: Save the changes

7: Run the file ie _runA2CO (create a shortcut to it on desktop for your ease).

8: ENJOY! But feel a little embarrassed that you are maybe as thick as me:wink_o:

Ok I read up to page 7 or 8, downloaded the _runA2CO.cmd and ran it in the steam OA directory, added my 505 DVD version arma 2 to steam, ran it after running OA on steam, then ran the cmd again and now it asks for a DVD when I try to run my steam version of OA. What the hell? This is getting incredibly frustrating.

I run the command thing, works okay and (in expansions menu) recognizes that there is arma2 on the comp and installed but I cannot enable it. Any idea to fix it or should i just do the copy it all into the arma2 folder and add it in the exe file?(as seen on pg6.)

oh wait, i r the random arma noob, think its working nvrmind :P

Edited by RandomArmANoob

it's already enabled just with this method it's greyed (can't off / on it)

you fast verify it by opening SP > Editor and seeing Chernarus and Utes there

Dwarden: so starting OA with your cmd-file is going to be the only way to properly combine the steam versions of arma and OA?

Neither the command file or command line launch commands work for me. The command file produces some error regarding "AH1 hitpoints" and screwed up the main menu background scene but didn't add anything.

is your ARMA 2 updated to version 1.07 before trying load it with OA ?

After i launch arma CO via bat file and click expansions i cant disable neither arma 2 or AO. I have retail DVD arma 2 version and sprocket AO.

is your ARMA 2 updated to version 1.07 before trying load it with OA ?

Yeah, both up to date steam versions running on windows 7 64bit if that's any help.

errors from your launcher:

No entry: arma 2 dir*\bin\config.app\CFGingameUI\MPtable.shadow

arma 2 dir*\bin\config.app\CFGvehicles\AH1Z/HitPoints/:Cannot find base class 'Hitpoints'

Edited by lizardmech

there are better ways like using NTFS links for Windows VISTA / SEVEN

note: only for skilled PC users

on commandprompt from directory where STEAM arma2oa.exe is located

mklink /j LinkDirectory TargetDirectory

this would make it look like when you own already CO or install OA into ARMA 2 with retail setup

on NTFS in windowsXP your would need use e.g. tool from sysinternals

unfortunately that's not easy and 'safe' on FAT32 in WindowsXP (hardlinking directory is possible)

Edited by Dwarden

If you are experienced and do not want to use a cmd-file you can set up 2 system variables with the paths to arma2 and OA, and use those for a normal shortcut.

I made 2, called arma2 and arma2oa.

So the mod path for my shortcut becomes "-mod=%arma2%;%arma2oa%;@CBA;@whatevermod1;@whatevermod2"

This is a workaround for the limited target line length of a normal shortcut.

Then there's the issue of jayarmalibs custom dll's and how the steam arma2oa.exe is different from other releases (me wants my ACRE working), but that is being worked on as I understand it :)

So there will be a proper fix at some point, correct? Meaning that they combine when running thru the OA exe and there's no need for the batch file.

I hope so too. Right now it's a bit of a hack job to get it working properly :P

..and I feel it can be a bit daunting for the average joe.

My fears tho is that it might mean a new download of OA from steam once a proper fix is out and we all know what people think about that. Especially in the bandwith impaired contries with download quotas.

I don't think there should have to be a new download. Should just be able to have a gameplay option that automatically uses the correct parameters.

Sorry if this has been discussed, but anyway - my friend has the retail version of Arma 2, and the steam version of OA, by unpacking that file into his AO folder, will it work even though one is a retail and one is steam version?

Steam OA will not automagically recognize his retail arma2, so he has to juggle the files as per previously described in this thread.

Not sure if it's already been asked as I'm on my phone, but is it possible to have ArmA 2 on one Hard Drive and OA on another, yet still combine them? Thanks.

there are better ways like using NTFS links for Windows VISTA / SEVEN

note: only for skilled PC users

on commandprompt from directory where STEAM arma2oa.exe is located

mklink /j LinkDirectory TargetDirectory

this would make it look like when you own already CO or install OA into ARMA 2 with retail setup

on NTFS in windowsXP your would need use e.g. tool from sysinternals

unfortunately that's not easy and 'safe' on FAT32 in WindowsXP (hardlinking directory is possible)

Does it work like this:

while in arma2oa dir
mklink /j (full arma2oa dir) (full arma2 dir)

I just get syntax error trying to link them using this (minus the brackets full directory used etc.)

there is new script version in the first post

this time it resolving MP compatibility

Steam OA will not automagically recognize his retail arma2, so he has to juggle the files as per previously described in this thread.

Yeah I just saw your earlier post, I'll do that for him.

Winters;1665839']Taking this idea and running with it' date=' I wrote up a guide about Symbolic Links on my clan's forum that I hope might help others, especially Steam users:

[url']http://www.kellys-heroes.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3780#p33159[/url]

Enjoy! :)

I get the same errors with this as the launcher.

No entry: arma 2 dir*\bin\config.app\CFGingameUI\MPtable.shadow

arma 2 dir*\bin\config.app\CFGvehicles\AH1Z/HitPoints/:Cannot find base class 'Hitpoints'