Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: CO (how to combine ARMA 2 into ARMA 2:OA and use together)

Question: I cannot get my mods from ArmA II to run in OA with the merge. How is this done?

Thanks!

EDIT: I have the Steam version of ArmA II and ArmA II OA and both are working fine with the merge indicated in this thread! It is just that my mods will not show up.

I would guess that some mods just won't work (I don't know that, I'm just assuming that most sound and graphics mods would need to be updated). However, I used the batch file fix in this thread, and I got some of my mods to work (AI Dispersion, for example). Others did not, but I'm sure they'll be updated soon enough.

Anyway, mods work with the fix just like they did before, except you'll have to copy your @mod folders over to the OA installation. Then edit your launch options like you normally would (the OA launch options, that is). Even if you use the batch file to start the game, it still uses those Steam launch options, and so your mods should be in place. That's how it worked for me with Steam anyway. And thank goodness too!

Note that if you, like me, used a separate launcher for Arma 2, to make the mod installation easier, you'll have to start doing it the old-fashioned way. Go to properties in your Steam shortcut, choose Launch Options, and type it on in there.

I would guess that some mods just won't work (I don't know that, I'm just assuming that most sound and graphics mods would need to be updated). However, I used the batch file fix in this thread, and I got some of my mods to work (AI Dispersion, for example). Others did not, but I'm sure they'll be updated soon enough.

Anyway, mods work with the fix just like they did before, except you'll have to copy your @mod folders over to the OA installation. Then edit your launch options like you normally would (the OA launch options, that is). Even if you use the batch file to start the game, it still uses those Steam launch options, and so your mods should be in place. That's how it worked for me with Steam anyway. And thank goodness too!

Note that if you, like me, used a separate launcher for Arma 2, to make the mod installation easier, you'll have to start doing it the old-fashioned way. Go to properties in your Steam shortcut, choose Launch Options, and type it on in there.

First, thanks for replying. I get the gist of what you're saying Safari, but I'm not sure it answers my original question. Using the OP batch file to merge the two programs, there is no provision using that batch file to even load mods.

Question #2 then: Using the batch file provided in the OP, how would it show all of the mods? The command line does not recognize the -mod@MOD nor does it recognize -nosplash etc...

Basically what is does is to load both arma2 and OA as mods to the OA .exe-file. So it's quite simple to do it yourself.

Say you have arma2 in c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma 2\ and OA in c:\program files\steam\common\steamapps\arma 2 operation arrowhead\

Then what you do is to go to the folder where OA is (as above). Right-click on arma2OA.exe and choose "send-to desktop (create shortcut)". Now you should have a shortcut on the desktop. Right-click the shortcut and choose properties.

Add this line after arma2oa.exe in the target box:

"-mod=c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma 2;c:\program files\steam\common\steamapps\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION"

Then start OA from your new shortcut and verify that you can see arma2 by choosing "expansions" in the menu, or fire up the editor and see that you can choose utes and chernarus among the maps from OA.

...basically just like loading whatever mod you are using. The important thing for when using paths with spaces is to start with a " before -mod= and end the line with a "

Dwardens script does it for you, but this is how it's done manually.

Cheers.

This didnt work..

Not sure if combined instalation worked. I own the boxed version of ARMA II and OA. I notice in my start menu I have seperate short cuts for each game. Im wondering if this is normal for a combined instal and that when I go to play from either shortcut I will have all the goodies.

I installed Arma II first to my D drive. Then installed OA and it appeared to find my ARMA II install.

Im currently patching to 1.07.

Thanks!

First, thanks for replying. I get the gist of what you're saying Safari, but I'm not sure it answers my original question. Using the OP batch file to merge the two programs, there is no provision using that batch file to even load mods.

Question #2 then: Using the batch file provided in the OP, how would it show all of the mods? The command line does not recognize the -mod@MOD nor does it recognize -nosplash etc...

I use -nosplash with no problem, though I followed one of the devs lead in changing the other entries to -mods=@MOD (I wasn't sure if that was a typo when I first read it, but it seems to work). This is not for the command line of the batch file itself, remember. You still enter the -mods and -nosplash lines into Steam directly. Go to your Steam library, and go to the Properties dialog of the OA shortcut there (not the desktop shortcut, if you made one), and enter the info into the Launch Options.

Even when you boot the game through the batch file, it will still use the Launch Options you set in the Steam shortcut, so things should work. Try getting just the -nosplash to work before you go and type in all your mods, just to make sure (it should work no problem). Once you get that working, I'd put the mods in one at a time, to make it easier to diagnose if you run into an incompatibility with the new game.

I tried the copy expansion folder over to arma 2 folder and renaming it. I actually copied it to my steam and my regular arma 2 folder. Then created the appropriate mod path to a shortcut. No luck with that it would start arma 2 with OA screen but no mission Etc. So then I tried copying just the whole addon folder from Arma 2 over to my OA folder and Bingo it worked. Didn't even make a mod extension either. Weird.

I use -nosplash with no problem, though I followed one of the devs lead in changing the other entries to -mods=@MOD (I wasn't sure if that was a typo when I first read it, but it seems to work). This is not for the command line of the batch file itself, remember. You still enter the -mods and -nosplash lines into Steam directly. Go to your Steam library, and go to the Properties dialog of the OA shortcut there (not the desktop shortcut, if you made one), and enter the info into the Launch Options.

Even when you boot the game through the batch file, it will still use the Launch Options you set in the Steam shortcut, so things should work. Try getting just the -nosplash to work before you go and type in all your mods, just to make sure (it should work no problem). Once you get that working, I'd put the mods in one at a time, to make it easier to diagnose if you run into an incompatibility with the new game.

Sweet! This worked, I understand now your earlier explanation. Thanks for clarifying and woot!

:)

Well, first, you should try launching the game and see if you get any errors and if you have the new stuff. However, you seem to have had exactly the same thing as me, so yes, it installed correctly.

Add your mod to the Steam Arma2 OA folder.

Locate the _runA2CO.cmd from the fix posted by Dwarden...

Edit the file.

Change this line:

"%ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%ARMA2PATH%;%ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION"

To something like:

"%ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%ARMA2PATH%;%ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;@CBA;@WHATEVER"

Now OA will load with your addons, but they will not be visible in "Expansions" in the main menu.

Well, everything's working, but you can't use a launcher with that batch file for optional params :(

Not yet anyway; right now it's all manual, but you shouldn't lose much functionality. Knowing Arma's community, I don't think we'll be waiting long for launchers and updated mods, etc.

Or, you can still launch the games separately. I like having the combined install, but for now it's also nice to have the option to boot into Arma2 with all my mods intact, same way I always have.

Add your mod to the Steam Arma2 OA folder.

Locate the _runA2CO.cmd from the fix posted by Dwarden...

Edit the file.

Change this line:

"%ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%ARMA2PATH%;%ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION"

To something like:

"%ARMA2OAPATH%\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=%ARMA2PATH%;%ARMA2OAPATH%\EXPANSION;@CBA;@WHATEVER"

Now OA will load with your addons, but they will not be visible in "Expansions" in the main menu.

Thank you much sir. This worked perfect for me.

Now if I could find out how to not launch steam when I use my arma shortcut

Can I combine retail Arma 2 and Steam Operation Arrowhead???????????

Edited by Flacracker

For the 8 billionth time yes, all forms of A2 can be combined with all forms of OA.

read this freaking thread...

Isn't it possible to just copy the content from the standard ArmA 2 directory into the OA directory? This is essentially how it works with the retail release. If I'm thinking about this the right way, this is a much less intensive way of running the game with the original content with mods, etc. without having to mess with multiple batch files and their subsequent shortcuts.

Quote it.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Ive read the whole thread and haven't found out how to merge retail Arma 2 and Steam OA.

For the 8 billionth time yes, all forms of A2 can be combined with all forms of OA.

Unless you download with steam, then no, it wont work, but if your a hardcore script'er/programmer, you can force it to work.

Oh, and you cant go to the store to buy a hard copy for another week so.....I guess the answer is....

No, at the moment it doesnt combine.

Hey guys Ive got DVD version of Arma2 and steam OA. Ive moved stuff from my Arma 2 directory IE addons, and mods. place addons in another folder call it Original, then place your mods in OA directory next too expantion. Link your ArmA2OA.exe to your Arma II launcher in the arma2 launcher settings IE ARMA @* EXE select. and whala enjoy.

Ok, I thought I had this going, but still no go on mods. :(

I have tried this...as per Trracer and no go...

"F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe" -nosplash "-mod=F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;@GLT_F16"

Both A2 and OA show up in the game with nosplash, but no F16s show up in the unit listings.

Any suggestions? I am just trying the F16s to get ANY mod to work at this point!

EDIT: Never mind! lol I didn't copy the @GLT_F16 folder in to OA folder lol Gah! Long day.

Thanks all and esp Trracer! Yours worked peachy!

Edited by Sgt Mack

Yep. Same problem here. (using Steam) I figured that if I load ArmA 2, the content would merge. However, when I try to load ArmA 2, I get "no entry .cfgWorlds." and then when I click through that error box, I get: Data file too short "addons\error.pbo"

Same error here, I get: "data file too short 'expansion\addons\structures_e.pbo'"

I have ACE2 installed inside ArmA 2 folder, could be it?

Ah, both Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA using Steam.

Thanks!

I have both versions on steam, and the file in OP works fine for me, also putting mods into my OA folder, and then editing the cmd file allows me to also use mods. Would be nice to find out when the solution to fix this is going to come out.

Hi all

I dont know where else to post this, but I'm getting this error: "data file too short 'expansion\addons\structures_e.pbo'"

I'm using both ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA from Steam. Also, I have ACE2 inside Arma 2 folder.

I can run Arma 2 without any problems, but not OA. What could it be?

Thanks!

Edited by ChauveZan