Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo355

Which SSD for Arma2/OA?

:rolleyes:Sorry dude and again I don't mean to rain on your parade but I have same setup you describe and it stutter like no other.

odd? you guys with the stutter... There a a few stutters i can replicate, Fraps on record..., Everest/logging software..., GPU_MaxFramesAhead= wrong amount...,Way to much VD relative to hardware (and no a 5970 isnt going to run 1900/1200~with 5000VD in a city with out stutter) ect, And just bad controler/chipsets drivers or H/W usage.

But with my SSDs RAMDrives and "realistic" settings i have NO stutter

The players I game with do not have stutter, and thats with differing H/W... I would say its your system/tuning of it, is just not right yet.

Why do You want paging at all, disable it and make it use ram, ram is much quicker. There are lots of reports of SSD's dying in less than 3 months when the pagefile is on them, its early days for this tech.

Some programs require a page file, and I don't want to mess with RAM drives.

Some programs require a page file, and I don't want to mess with RAM drives.

You not have any mechanical sata drives in Your pc?

You not have any mechanical sata drives in Your pc?

Duh... I do have two mechanical drives, but the page file is there for fast file access. So it's only logical to put it on the fastest drive. I don't think my SSD will get broken if I have a 1GB fixed size page file on it. And if it does, within 3 years, I only have to RMA it and they'll send me a new one.

SSDs=Laptop designed

You really won't see many improvements other than faster load times and a bigger e-penis.

Now if you work with data a lot, and need to work on audio/video they can be handy.

Really no sense in spending 150+ dollars on a fancy drive unless you like flushing money down the toilet.

Duh... I do have two mechanical drives, but the page file is there for fast file access. So it's only logical to put it on the fastest drive. I don't think my SSD will get broken if I have a 1GB fixed size page file on it. And if it does, within 3 years, I only have to RMA it and they'll send me a new one.

Having your pagefile on an SSD as opposed to mechanical drive wouldn't make Your pc any faster. How often does it page? Not that often, Windows only uses Your pagefile when it runs out of ram and when minimising applications not being used in a while. Forcing it to use the ram is faster

odd? you guys with the stutter... There a a few stutters i can replicate, Fraps on record..., Everest/logging software..., GPU_MaxFramesAhead= wrong amount...,Way to much VD relative to hardware (and no a 5970 isnt going to run 1900/1200~with 5000VD in a city with out stutter) ect, And just bad controler/chipsets drivers or H/W usage.

But with my SSDs RAMDrives and "realistic" settings i have NO stutter

The players I game with do not have stutter, and thats with differing H/W... I would say its your system/tuning of it, is just not right yet.

I don't understand it myself.I watch so many videos of Arma on youtube that seem to have no stutter with systems close to mine.I also run with no VD and it stutters.The desert map though is perfect for me.I run 1600x1200 with everything on very high except PP.The thing is I have tried everything on normal and even low and it stutters.I am gonna look into what you said about the various drivers.

So I brought this thread back up and asked a question and thus far after a dozen or so replies no one has answered it. :(

If you can manage to run everything off the SSD, it will run better than having some fraction on a mechanical drive. Most people don't because the space requirement is beyond their SSD capacity.

Yeah, well right now that's what I have is the OS, page file, and ArmA2 running off the SSD (and other apps), and everything else on a WD Black 1 TB. I was just wondering if it would be worth it performance-wise to have the OS on a different drive and have ArmA2 alone (or with a few other games) on the SSD. I like having the OS on there for the boot times but if I could get a good performance boost in ArmA2 by giving it to the SSD alone then I might consider it, or consider getting another smaller SSD.

That was my original question. :cool:

Yeah, well right now that's what I have is the OS, page file, and ArmA2 running off the SSD (and other apps), and everything else on a WD Black 1 TB. I was just wondering if it would be worth it performance-wise to have the OS on a different drive and have ArmA2 alone (or with a few other games) on the SSD. I like having the OS on there for the boot times but if I could get a good performance boost in ArmA2 by giving it to the SSD alone then I might consider it, or consider getting another smaller SSD.

That was my original question. :cool:

i have two SSD's and i see zero zip difference in fps or loading time between games installed on OS drive or dedicated gaming drive. that's with win 7 x64.

I just have ARMA and my pagefile on my SSD.

Having never had my OS on SSD, I can't tell you if it's faster or not.

I would assume that having ArmA and the pagefile on seperate discs would be faster. Especially if they were seperate from the OS also.

Perhaps ArmA and OS on one SSD and your page file on a second?

Maverick,your motherboard supports 12gig ram.Why not fill all slots your motherboard can take with ram instead of an SSD,setup a Ramdrive with whole game installed on it.Might cost the same as another SSD for you.I wish I could do that but my MB only supports 8gig ram max.

i have two SSD's and i see zero zip difference in fps or loading time between games installed on OS drive or dedicated gaming drive. that's with win 7 x64.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. :D

Maverick,your motherboard supports 12gig ram.Why not fill all slots your motherboard can take with ram instead of an SSD,setup a Ramdrive with whole game installed on it.Might cost the same as another SSD for you.I wish I could do that but my MB only supports 8gig ram max.

I would like to, but DDR3 is quite expensive at the moment. Believe me, if I could afford it I would. :cool:

If BIS would make better use of memory caching an SSD would not be needed. Even with LAA awareness OA still uses less than a gig of memory on a 4 gig system (Win7x64).

LAA is the 3gig switch which actually drops windows utilization to 1gig leaving 3gig for the program running.Without the 3gig switch windows will use 2gig leaving only 2gig for the program running.Thats what I gather online from reading about it.I go from around 2gig with out the switch to 2.4gig to 2.7gig utilization.I would love to see 3gig being used but never noticed that.

I've just got a SSD crucial C300 128gb, the first ever sataIII SSD.

I've got it for 282€ and it was at 400€ only few weeks ago!

Win7,page file and arma are on it now and it really feel like its another game now, especialy in a jet, its so smooth that I can't flyning a jet just for fun!

The C300 is 355MB/s read and 215 MB/s write speed (in sata III),it's the fastest ssd as we speak and it has also a very good random write and read.

see yourself:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/crucial-realssd-c300-256gb-review/

crucell is nice, but it isn't the fastest ssd

that's the new OCZ RevoDrive PCI-Express SSD

Max Read: up to 540 MB/s

Max Write: up to 480 MB/s

Sustained Write: up to 400 MB/s

4KB Random Write (Aligned): 75,000 IOPS

and still, it's price is competive for consumermarkets

120gb for +/- 380euro

crucell is nice, but it isn't the fastest ssd

that's the new OCZ RevoDrive PCI-Express SSD

Max Read: up to 540 MB/s

Max Write: up to 480 MB/s

Sustained Write: up to 400 MB/s

4KB Random Write (Aligned): 75,000 IOPS

and still, it's price is competive for consumermarkets

120gb for +/- 380euro

well it has the numbers,(but real numbers are half of what you posted) and it is problematic, PCI-e boot ROM, poor quality , though the new version should be better... It is a card.

Ill stick to REAL SSD drives for now and the Crucial is best for the speed and cash. My 64GB is a nice SSD. A Revo may be in my future when they have the better SSDs on Board.

hi,

C300 is a good/if not best choice. You can get for £109 now! Very popular on hardware forum I frequent (OCUK).

I wish I had bought it instead of Kingston V (200/110 seq but bad IOPS) for £80 a few weeks ago. But OA performs great at 1920x1200, high/v. high with i5 720 and Ati 5850.

Question:

ARMA OA is on SSD. But My docs i.e. profile/mission files. is on HD. I have really got into mission editing recently.

Would it improve ARMA if I moved them to SSD? (keeping my docs on HD)

If so how do you move that folder? Reg setting?

Edited by cream-t

i've got This one a little wile ago ( around a month ), and are so far satisfied with it. got the 128gb version.

Running os (windows 7) and A2CO from it. Temp folders, dokuments and other stuff runs of an ordinary hdd.

I would never put operating system and games/other stuff on same disk. In my opinion, it's always more logical to share the workload between different physical disks (regardless if it's HDD or SSD). Windows has a need to access his disk constantly, and reading/writing a disk in different locations simultaneously will drop the disk performance - more or less, depending on the situation. In example, you do NOT want Windows to take away any disk performance when you're on ArmA2, or some other demanding game/application. Also, by having more than one disk you are able to create backups both ways. If one disk fails, you still have the backups elsewhere. So I've came up with a setup of both HDDs and SSDs, where every disk has it's own "special" purpose.

Basically, I'm saying that buy two smaller disks instead of single bigger one...

I'm running Win7 x64 and ArmA2/OA off the same OCZ Vertex 2 100GB drive.

The old storage solution was 4*250GB Sata2 drives in RAID-5 on a Adaptec 2420SA controller.

Now I no longer see texture loading and no intermittent pauses during gameplay. Framerate is more stable when moving very fast (choppers/planes) because of this but it wont be higher without replacing CPU/GPU.

I bought the SSD primarily for the OS, not a game. Win7 benefits lots from running off a SSD, ArmA2 benefits quite a bit but I wouldnt buy a SSD for the game alone.