Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

It can hardly be summarized, as a tweak efficiency is highly dependent on hardware configuration. What will work for some will have no effect for others, and vice versa.

I have a quad-core and an older computer with AMD Athalon 4000+ dual cores, less memory, and an older 8800FT video card. That old computer runs OA faster for some reason.

So something is definitely screwy with OA. Yeah I did the CPU code stuff and all that.

At any rate, I'm happy playing it on the old computer however the main problem I'm having is that the game will run smooth as butter for like 3 missions, but then the frame rates gradually start to decrease and decrease until its unplayable even on the smallest map and simplest mission done on the mission editor. It's like there is a memory leak or something. Because of this I can't play MP games online without first rebooting my computer (which clears it up).

Any ideas why it might be doing this? I had this problem with stock ArmAII but only after like 20 missions or so.

So something's definitely changed in OA. Very frustrating.

I'd really like to recommend OA to friends but can't until these issues are taken care of.

You have perfectly described what my computer issues are, as I also have a quadcore computer/8 giga dd3/crossfire with 2 ati 5850 and after few minutes of gameplay everyting starts to lag as if my computer would be running out ram.

Sofar I tried many settings over the cfg but it did not solve the problem... i JUST HOPE Bis will solve the issue.

Kind Regards.

====note====

Do NOT use the latest NVidia beta drivers. They break the in-game anistropic filtering.

====note====

Until BIS gets the OA code up to v1.07 I'm going to suggest people use the following parameters in the launcher:

Dual-Core processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

Quad-Core processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

Hexacore processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7[/b][/color]

(I'm not sure if the -winxp and -maxmem values are still required for XP users, for most people the answer would be "no")

Should we keep on using the cpucount parameters after patch 1.54 ?

Thanks

Please add the ATT profile tweak here... AMD users won't be able to disable vsync from driver's own control panel. You need to use ATT profile with vista workaround vsync tweak.

Under Win7 (and probably Vista), the Vsync setting in CCC has no effect. You can set it at whatever value, activation of Vsync depends on internal D3D settings that may or may not be set by the game/app.

Edit : There are some tools to override these settings. The only one I know that works is D3DOverrider.

Edited by HBK

related to pure performance what I can say about my rig are these (not very scientific facts, indeed, and not measured except of ArmA2 FPS analyser, in-game-benchmarks, in-game experiences meaning FPS-meter by Ati Tray Tools) things ...

here some facts/experiences after 10 months of having played A2/OA

1) my rig does not contain any actual high-end components, my board is OEM, no chance for me to OC (anyway, doesn't matter for me as being casual gamer)

2) at everything very high (AA=high, limited by my ati 4870), vd = 2000 I got at A2 Harvest Red CP av. 20 FPS

3) playing MP I get around 30 FPS, approx. 25-35

4) playing SP missions which don't contain "too much" AI I get 30-50 FPS, depending of natural environment (forest, cities, towns, houses)

5) my most critical compenent is -of course- CPU (simplified: amount of AI-units = 100 -> FPS = 10 to 20, AI-units = 10 -> FPS = 30 to 50)

6) choosing the right missions for my rig meaning not overloaded with AI I get very acceptable FPS, even on Chernarus, hardest thing for my rig is Zargabad, there anything above 5 vs 5 (meaning 10 AI units) would be a showstopper

in-game settings: everything maxed out except (3d-res 1280 x 1024) ...

7) Antialiasing I keep on 'normal', lowering doesn't increase FPS in noticeable ways (except on Utes, but there I play at 30-50 with AA=high, and getting 50 - 60 by lowering AA isn't worth doing without AA)

8) VD does take impact on my FPS, I keep it on 2000 - 3000, on islands or with few AI I raise until 5000

9) Postprocessing is 'normal', eye candy meaning anything higher is poison for my FPS

10) Terrain Detail = 'low'

my rig -> spoiler in sig

Vsync option is now implemented into config for ATi users, update the first page:

add line to arma2oa.cfg file

vsync=0; //disabled

or

vsync=1; //default enabled

Vsync option is now implemented into config for ATi users, update the first page:

add line to arma2oa.cfg file

vsync=0; //disabled

or

vsync=1; //default enabled

Not working for me.

How can i disable all that blum and blur effects? Its very annoying even in lowest settings. I cant play with that, it makes my eyes hurt.

Are you saying your "postprocess" setting is set to "DISABLED", yet you still experience bloom and blur in game?

Impossible :)

like i said, i set all settings on very low or disabled but image still a little bit blury.

But! If i will press save and exit in game, game start saving and image will be clear with out blur. But when saving ends image will be blured again.

PS. Oh! I have a terrible English. :(

Oh, maybe it's your "fillrate" is set to something bellow 100% - or your "3D resolution" is set to smaller res than your "Interface resolution"?

edit: which version is your ArmA2 OA ?

I'm not to computer savy....But I've been reading about needing the following tweaks to make A2/OA work better..... Regarding ...cpuCount=4. And exThreads=7

Where exactly do I put this? In the exe file of A2/OA??

Also, what should mine be, with my system.

I have a DELL XPS 720 System (2 years old).

Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

3GB RAM

GeForce 8800 GT 512 RAM

RUNNING WINDOWS XP

Also what should I have in the following settings for my video card

Tripple Buffering? ON or OFF?

Threaded Optimization? ON OR OFF?

Thanks for any help / advice...

Edited by meade95

I'm not to computer savy....But I've been reading about needing the following tweaks to make A2/OA work better..... Regarding ...cpuCount=4. And exThreads=7

Where exactly do I put this? In the exe file of A2/OA??

Also, what should mine be, with my system.

I have a DELL XPS 720 System (2 years old).

Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

3GB RAM

GeForce 8800 GT 512 RAM

RUNNING WINDOWS XP

Also what should I have in the following settings for my video card

Tripple Buffering? ON or OFF?

Threaded Optimization? ON OR OFF?

Thanks for any help / advice...

The Q6600 doesn't support HT (Hyperthreading), therefore cpuCount=4. And exThreads=7 won't do anything.

Triple buffering is only useful if you use Vsync. I don't use a Nvidia card, so I'm not sure what you should set Threaded Optimization to. I would suggest leaving it on whatever it's default is, or google more info on it and decide for yourself.

amd athlon II x2 215 processor (2 CPU's) ~2.7GHz

3072MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9200

win 7 64bit

what is up with them specs? where am I going wrong?

amd athlon II x2 215 processor (2 CPU's) ~2.7GHz

3072MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9200

win 7 64bit

what is up with them specs? where am I going wrong?

in everything except the OS :o

i can't get physx disabled via nvidia control panel with new dirver. only opiton is "select physx proccessor" :S

and i have very jaggied textures , i experinence huge performance loss in big cities, towns.

Im new at the ArmA series, also my PC.

I can't get the game above 30 FPS in MP games. Picked mostly 15-32 ping servers. In Single player I got around 55 FPS.

My PC Specs:

Win 7

Core i5 CPU 750 Running @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte GTX 460 @ 825/1650/2000

4GB RAM

28 Inch screen with 1900x1200 res.

My ArmA II:OA videosettings are:

Screen/3D both at: 1900x1200

Texture: High

Video Memory: Default

Terrain/objects/shadows: High

AA: Off

AF: Very High

Post Process: Disabled

View Distance: 2298

And did the next things I've found here on the forums:

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 added to the launcher

Turned V Sync of in the Nvidia controlpanel

Got the latest Nvdia driver

I don't know what to do else?

After i bought a SSD (its only for gaming),i tweaked Win7 and my SSD by reading this tutorial here.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities

I didnt used every single tweak but the most.And the result was, i got about 10 FPS more in the OA benchmark.

So you may have to defrag your HDD or turn off some Windows services. Just give it a try.