Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

i have:

4 1057 mhz gskill ram ddr2

anthlon 4200 + dualcore

geforce 9500 1gb memory

but the most i can play with is 2500m view distance and most things low, with aa and anisotropic filtering off. and at most the frames i get are about 15 - 20.

guess ill have to experiment to see what to improve

Why don't you just buy a new computer.. That's horrible :eek:

Why don't you just buy a new computer.. That's horrible :eek:

Well that doesn't always work. I just purchased a new I7 2600k with 8 gigs of 1600mhz xmp mem,sapphire 6970 and carvair Black WD drive and I had one day or so of smooth performance and havn't been able to reproduce it since.Ive overclocked from 4.4 to 4.7 and back with all kinds of other settings changed. Testing PMC 1st level and the 08 benchmark I get some serious STUTTERING and framerate issues especially when zooming in and turning from side to side.

Tried No Hyperthreading-

Tried defragging-

Tried reinstalling game and formatting hardrive and reinstalling everything with only ARM2OA installed(6G SATA btw)-

Tried no mouse vs controller-

Tried all game setting changes and 6970 hardware changes with STUTTER staying no matter how high or low I go-

Tried rechecking all hardware and plugs to Graphics card-

Tried monitor vs HDMI tv-

The one thing I need to try is rolling back drivers if I can and adjusting CPU count if possible.

As much as I love ARMA2/Operation Flashpoint from BIS.This stuff is frustrating indeed!!! It may not be all BIS fault especially in my case(All new hardware and running ATI There seems to always be driver issues).

All I can do is keep trying .

The game is worth taking the time no matter how frustrating it is .It is after all the best game in the world :)

BTW- L4D2 plays Flawless,as well as some other games and demo's ive tried.FSX has horrible looking ground textures so far but I think thats mostly Game and Card settings I have to adjust

Edited by cotabucky

I feel for you cotabucky but Im sure you system soon will handle the game in an excellent way. Its a matter of time dont get sad :).

Wanna OA high FPS? Buy a Intel i7 Sandy Bridge and forgive baby AMD CPU!

graph5.png

Arma2

graph3v.png

Hiikeri what about I5 2500K with an GTX 570?

This what Im planning to buy in two months.

I feel for you cotabucky but Im sure you system soon will handle the game in an excellent way. Its a matter of time dont get sad :).

No I'll just get mad lol ;) .

No mostly its incredible but I hate stutter and so far ARMA2 is the only thing doing it. I just ran Dirt2 dx11(F-IN AMAZING!), Left4Dead2 is flawless., and Metro 2033 with no stutter ...Metro suffers framerates when I try and bump up settings but thats to be expected and its not the same stutter/jump/jirk effect I have in arma2.And The problems I notice in arma2 OA is mostly the beginning PMC mission were there is explosions in town and that dang 08 benchmark. Its mostly turning fast and zooming in(And I know zooming drops the frame rate usually anyways). I'm just expecting the world with all new hardware and very demanding games lol. I need to give Drivers,Updates ,etc some more time I think.While I wait I will try different ideas that have been mentioned about Tweaking ARMA2 to run better.

Hiikeri what about I5 2500K with an GTX 570?

Those HW you get great results. 2500k difference to 2600k is only -100Mhz and no Hyper Threading on 2500k.

Its recommended that HT is disable when playing A2/OA, i heard that it gives a couple fps more so 2500k thats not issue.

And of course 2500k CPU:s overclocking potential is massive too, 4.4-5.0Ghz and GTX570 is of course more powerful than my 560Ti.

Maybe i buy second 560Ti to SLI and then this machine flyes pretty well. Maybe 100fps on Very High+1080 settings? :)

Yeahh sounds good the only thing that worries me is the bug on the motherboards of sandy bridge. I dont if this a reason not to buy sandy brige motherboards.

Yeahh sounds good the only thing that worries me is the bug on the motherboards of sandy bridge. I dont if this a reason not to buy sandy brige motherboards.

The Bitch is You gotta send it back eventualy :( . Other than that the MB's work fine at 6G SATA connections.They say it only effects the 3G SATA ports were the DVD drive reads and writes from.My I7 is easy to dissable hyper threading in BIOS.For most games however the I5 is just as good or better and You save $100.I said F-it and got the I7 because I have scene a benchmark or 2 were the hyperthreading helped. Ohh,BTW Hyperthreadong on or off made no noticable difference on my system. It has a major stutter I'm trying to work out.Its Ultra smooth for most things but that damn PMC coop online is getting me pissed depending on what mission I am playing.All other games are awesome about 100% of the time.

Dont worry about that Intel/P67 Sata2 issue. My P67 mobo is 4 Sata3 ports, thats enough for me.

I have 1 SSD, 2 HDD and 1 CD/DVD player, so those all my drives are Sata3 connection so no problems, ever.

That Sata2 bug issue is only Sata2 ports. I think 4 working ports is enough for me!

But some P67 MB:s has only 2 Sata3 ports, thats why i buyd this my MB, and this is one of the fastest P67 MB's. Asrock Extreme 4.

My earlier MB was too Asrock. Rock solid and great overclocking capabitiluty...maybe not right writed :) ...but you understand.

Asrock was last year 3rd biggest MB manufacturer after Asus and Gigabyte. Asrock is going to the stars! Great Mobo!

Search tests, Asrock Extreme 4.

Check out my specs below in signature, Ive been tweaking and tweaking I have redner frames ahead set to 8, Htt disabled, my v-sync in on(sreen tearing). 1920x1080, AA normal AF very high, everyhing else but PP is on very high. But I hear people not going below 30fps, Yet I will get that still sometimes. Anyone on a similar high-end PC have any tweaks or tips?

Check out my specs below in signature, Ive been tweaking and tweaking I have redner frames ahead set to 8, Htt disabled, my v-sync in on(sreen tearing). 1920x1080, AA normal AF very high, everyhing else but PP is on very high. But I hear people not going below 30fps, Yet I will get that still sometimes. Anyone on a similar high-end PC have any tweaks or tips?

Don't kid yourself or let them kid you, your performance is pretty much it for your system.

Htt, enabled works fine with my i7 950.

Renderahead set to 3, higher will reduce FPS but make it smoother.

V-synch on, the 580s I have will run away with themselves and overheat I have noticed in a lot of games and v-synch stops them from topping themselves. Keeps the card cooler and therefore helps performance overall.

Draw distance is the big show stopper, 5k is pushing it on most maps with all the settings maxxed out. Sure you can run 10k in the middle of the desert but try it in the middle of town or pretty much anywhere in Chernarus and enjoy the slideshow.

Most of the other settings like textures and going from normal to low AA etc will only gain a couple of FPS here and there.

Keep the HDR on normal as well, if you have a version patched that allows it's adjustment as it is a resource hog too.

@K1eaner : Pretty much every trick in the first post is now obsolete. I wouldn't bother with any of them.

Edited by Liquidpinky

Draw distance is the big show stopper, 5k is pushing it on most maps with all the settings maxxed out. Sure you can run 10k in the middle of the desert but try it in the middle of town or pretty much anywhere in Chernarus and enjoy the slideshow.

Most of the other settings like textures and going from normal to low AA etc will only gain a couple of FPS here and there.

Keep the HDR on normal as well, if you have a version patched that allows it's adjustment as it is a resource hog too.

@K1eaner : Pretty much every trick in the first post is now obsolete. I wouldn't bother with any of them.

Thanks for the post Liquidpinky. I've just installed OA for the first time today and this helped manage my expectations. SSAO looks amazing but the motion blur just ruins postprocessing for me so thank goodness for oktane's noBlur mod ;)

Thanks for the link PvPscene.

Quote (from that page): "With the 64 bit OS version the game makes use of 3+ GB if available."

Is this an engine change with OA? Do you have a link to more information about this?

@ Lt_Darkman

Check the patch change logs.

@ Leopardi

Default is best normally as it detects the right VRAM amount.

However the setting is broken for many causing almost instantly heavy rendering

corruption - therefore some have to use very high instead.

[71721] Game is now Large Address Aware, should improve stability and allow using more RAM with 64b OS.

[71543] File cache size increased a lot on systems with 4 GB RAM or more.

Got it thanks.

Antialiasing: FSAA

Nvidia: Depends on your FPS. Disabled or low.

ATI: Very recommended to use 3D resolution instead.

About the ATI to use 3D resolution, does this mean like increasing it over 100% or decreasing it?

Why? What is the difference between e.g. 120% and AA x1?

-maxMem=2047

Is that command obsolete now that

[71543] File cache size increased a lot on systems with 4 GB RAM or more.

I've yet to decipher what to do with these 2:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Any advice?

Edited by Atkins

Dual-Core processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

Quad-Core processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

Hexacore processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7

Are the command line switches above still recommended as stated in the opening post? Or should we just leave these switches out when using the latest patch?

Afaik:

Should be, Dual-Core processor:

-nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=3

but also afaik the exThreads is no longer needed cos the game sets that right by itself.