Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

well just waiting for the patch that will fix this because like many on here the game is not running right arma 2 all settings on max, OA cant get it to run smooth on normal settings. Here's what i'm running

intel 980x overclocked to 4.31

Corsair Dominator GT 6 Gb @ 2000

Evga Classified 4 way SLI mobo

3x BFG Tech GTX 280 OCX

2x WD silcon edge blue SSD in Raid0

WD cavair green 1tb

Win 7 64 Ult

Edited by Knightviper

Just a fyi, 8 gb of ram isn't always the best option.

i play fsx ,so i need a lot of ram,its not for arma or arrowhead.;)

sorry but i don t agree with you ,its not the first time ,it s the third time that they do exactly the same thing;

what i mean is that ,i don t want to paid to get an unfinished game and to find the numerous bugs for them !!,or they paid me ,this world is turning in the wrong side or what?:mad:

my wallet is not enough large to buy games that don t work when u install it,what would you say if you buy a song in itunes and get only the half or with an absolutly ugly sound,you will not say anything??

it s only in game edition that we see this!! i have 2 pc at home all games are working well except 2 ,arma2(how many patches ? at last 7),normal??,and now arrowhead ,come on you know im right ,sorry for my english ,as all the french guys ,im always crying ,lol.:rolleyes:

see you soon zipper

the game must be finished when it comes out ,look for "blizzard" ,their game works everytime at the first time .i don t blame bohemia cause i know its a small team ,but they have to do better when they out their games.

ericd

eric

count yourself lucky because if you ever bought fifa 10 on release day on the ps3, you had to wait nearly a month to be able to play a full online game due to a very bad bug in that game.

Not to mention the single player season mode was broken to bits too. And all for the price of £40 as a posed to £25 on OA where the CORE aspects of the game are bug free.

whats my point? simple. MOST games have bugs. get use to it.

EDIT: you do know that world of warcraft was a complete mess when it first came out and needed LOTS of patches to get it operating properly right?

Edited by jonneymendoza

Shouldn't most of the "COMPLAINTS" of BIS be in "ANOTHER" thread? I thought this thread was for "PERFORMANCE" tips and such?

I have my thoughts on games (in general) and their releases. Just not here.

Ok people its not your system, its OA itself! People have try out all kinds of work arounds and have maybe got 3-5 FPS better but none have fix the issue with the lag and skipping the the game does in SP editor. Yha your going to get 3-5 FPS if you overclock or so on but, OA itself is the cause of the little slideshow of lag. Iv seen people with 2x better computer then mine and they get the same lag and FPS as i do. OA needs to run more smoother and get that bad lag out of the SP/editor game! Hope BI fix this issue very soon.

+1

Agree with you!

count yourself lucky because if you ever bought fifa 10 on release day on the ps3, you had to wait nearly a month to be able to play a full online game due to a very bad bug in that game.

Not to mention the single player season mode was broken to bits too. And all for the price of £40 as a posed to £25 on OA where the CORE aspects of the game are bug free.

whats my point? simple. MOST games have bugs. get use to it.

EDIT: you do know that world of warcraft was a complete mess when it first came out and needed LOTS of patches to get it operating properly right?

very strange i bought fifa 10 on release and never had problem,only the keeper is a problem lol

Hi guys !!

I'm having small freezes very often in game do you know where that could come from ??

specs :

amd athlon 5600+ 2.9 giga

4gig ram only 3.25 usable

win 7 32bit

gtx 260

Just a note. I'm collecting more data and as soon as it leads to concrete performance numbers I will be changing the entire first post to relfect this data - and also include beta data.

very strange i bought fifa 10 on release and never had problem,only the keeper is a problem lol

On ps3? mate no one could play a full game online as you would get Disconnected middway into a online game.

thats a massive bug compared to what OA has

Just a fyi, 8 gb of ram isn't always the best option.

That sums it up really, having to remove ram out your system to make it run correctly Maybe it should say that on the box.

That sums it up really, having to remove ram out your system to make it run correctly Maybe it should say that on the box.

:j:

Maybe it should say on box "common sense or at least a little computer knowledge required". Where did someone say to take RAM out to make it run correctly?

Nvidia have some new beta drivers up 258.96.

Anyone tried them yet?

D/L now... had been using 258.69 with no problems. Edited by Mosh

Nvidia have some new beta drivers up 258.96.

Anyone tried them yet?

Going to give them a shot here pretty soon before I roll back...the beta drivers before these are giving me driver crashes all the time in OA.

:j:

Maybe it should say on box "common sense or at least a little computer knowledge required". Where did someone say to take RAM out to make it run correctly?

D/L now... had been using 258.69 with no problems.

It's called "Sarcasm":j:

Follow-up: Using the new nVidia drivers now. Driver crashes seem less frequent but I still get them on occasion. So I'm not sure if the issue is nVidia's or BIS, though I never get driver crashes with other games, so I feel like it's (at minimum) BIS, possibly some of both.

Hi all, I have the following configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,16GHZ, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP 32, 8800GTS XXX 640 MB, Hard disk 7200RPM.

What would be the best purchase (considering the price) to increase Arma 2 OA performance beetween:

• Hard disk Intel SSD X25-M 80GB at 213 Euro
  • Video Card Ati 5850 at 290 Euro
  • Video card Ati 5770 at 143 Euro.

Thanks!

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,16GHZ, 2 GB RAM, Windows XP 32, 8800GTS XXX 640 MB, Hard disk 7200RPM.

What would be the best purchase (considering the price) to increase Arma 2 OA performance beetween:

Thanks!

Probably a 5850 TBH. SSD is nice but you won't see any real framerate improvement, only a difference in load times and LOD swapping. You might even want to look into upgrading to a quad-core processor as well, and get at least another 2 GB of RAM.

Yea id go for a quad core waaaay before you get any of your suggested purchases other wise you wont notice a difference in your frame rate with your current specs.

Thanks!

Savior, I'd have to agree with the other comments. The SSD would be last on the list as you have more important components to aquire. A new video card needs a good processor to drive it to get its full potential. Often people with weaker systems will get a new powerful video card and wonder why they can't just crank everything up. If you can tell me what's most important to you in the game I can direct you to what you should buy in order of importance. Someone who wants to fly is going to have different demans than someone who just wants bigger battles. So some examples would be: larger battles, more AI, less jaggies and clearer pictures (FSAA and AF), see further out, flying, less stutter etc.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

Hi guys !!

I'm having small freezes very often in game do you know where that could come from ??

specs :

amd athlon 5600+ 2.9 giga

4gig ram only 3.25 usable

win 7 32bit

gtx 260

Please describe in more detail. Is it micro-stutter, 2 second stops where the game has to load, or hesitations when you're panning around quickly?

Thanks a lot for the replies. Actually, checking the CPU charts here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/3DMark-Vantage-1.0.2-CPU,1398.html

i noticed that my cpu still behaves quite well. And then I've read in many threads (especially regarding Assassin's creed) that many games only use the first CPU, so it would be better to have less cores with higher frequency then the other side around. Told this (you might disagree and hopefully in the future the support to multicore will be more used also in games), changing CPU would mean to change also motherboard and RAM. At this point i should change everything (almost) and that would mean 1000 Euro/1300 Dollars.

I think i might first give a try with a new graphic card and see how it goes. In case the performance is more or less the same i will go with a brand new rig (using the new video card of course).

Opinions?

Edited by savior

Thanks a lot for the replies. Actually, checking the CPU charts here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/3DMark-Vantage-1.0.2-CPU,1398.html

i noticed that my cpu still behaves quite well. And then I've read in many threads (especially regarding Assassin's creed) that many games only use the first CPU so it would be better less cores with higher frequency. Told this (you might disagree and hopefully in the future the support to multicore will be more used also in games), changing CPU would mean to change also motherboard and RAM. At this point i should change everything (almost).

I think i might first give a try with a new graphic card and see how it goes. In case the performance is more or less the same i will go with a brand new rig.

Opinions?

That used to be true with a non x64 OS & older games. It's most definitely not true for a game like ArmA2. Sadly I've watched Tom's hardware go from an amazing site to a worthless site simply primed for advertising. The tests they list are absolutely worthless for multi-core high-end games.

There is a positive about going the video card route instead of the other hardware choices. You can use still use it when you see the performance isn't as good as you hoped. Same could be said for the SSD, but you won't have the I/O hardware to push it like you'd hope.

As far as the motherboard... you probably would have to swap out mobo/RAM/CPU at the same time, although there are some boards and processor combos that would allow you to use your old RAM. But the problem is RAM would then be a bottleneck. Adding more RAM to your system might be another worthy option if you don't mind knowing you won't be able to use it later on. XP won't normally see more than 3 Gig, but that extra Gig will help ArmA2 not swap so much data with the HD which is really slowing your system down.

Great, thanks! I think i'll go with the graphic card (5850 i guess) and then I will keep it when i change also MB/CPU and RAM, cause i will have to do it soon anyway, but maybe better after the holidays when I am more rested.

Considering you're running an E8500 already (LGA 775), it seems like you could probably get a quad core that fits the same socket, making it so you don't have to buy a new motherboard. Also, most motherboards support more than 2 GB RAM, so all you'd maybe have to do is add some.

What make/model is your motherboard, btw?

I agree with the others, i.e. upgrade your video card and leave CPU/RAM upgrades for later.

Grab a Radeon 5830 as it offer only slightly less performance than its bigger brother (5850) and it costs significantly less (saw it for only €180 in the sales this week). Also it overclocks really well. So you should be able to overclock it to near-5850 levels.

If you prefer Nvidia, then try the Geforce GTX 460 that was recently released. You can already find it @ €200 for the 768MB version or €220 for 1GB version (slightly faster too).

I'd also overclock your processor. I have an E8400 and I have safely reached 3.98 GHz (from 3.0) using only a cheap HSF (Arctic Cooling Alpine Pro @ €20). With the money you save from buying a cheaper video card, do your CPU a favour and grab a decent HSF, e.g. Scythe Mugen 2 for €40. With such an efficient HSF, provided you install it correctly, you can easily be able to overclock your CPU by +20-25% and safely too (no overheating).

@maverick96: I had seen that option but discarded it because i wouldn't like to upgrade a cpu now and having to upgrade again in 6-10 months. Better a more serious upgrade, changing to a newer socket, longer life...and I already have upgraded CPU on this mothereboard once (it is Asus P5B if i recall well).

@domokun: thanks, I had not considered the 5830, i will check some benchmarks and prices..too bad the 5850 price went up after the GTX470 came out (without creating real competition to ATI).

Edited by savior