Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

Well patch did nothing for the lag issue as still the game is very much unplayable. This stuttering that you talk about is that the lag? Cause you most of config or made an whole different game for that lag to be gone, and you should make an patch for the OA game itself lol. OA lag skipping issue thats in the SP editor game needs to be fix so we can play the game!

stuttering is the fps hitting 0.0 FPS and then shooting back up to 20, 30 - 40 FPS also mini-freezes. Which you can see in single player.

Got my crossfire working, no significant performance increasement: It goes faster in-game, but the loading of the textures etc takes longer.

Setting the Visibility from 5000 to 2666 gave me +5 FPS. Putting "Terrain&objects detail" from "High" to "Normal" gave me another five. But the advantage is only remarkable while loading the textures etc when starting a game.

3870 X2 1GB

Edited by osorkon

What if you have a fast dedicated sound card, such as an X-Fi card? Is the CPU load the same?

That's exactly why I'm trying to devise a sound benchmark test. Now in Win XP the asnwer would be "NO hit on the cpu whatsoever" as all that processing is offloaded to the sound card. However in Vista/7 it all changed which really upset me because it cut a signnificant option we'd all had to increase total performance. Microsft went the route of saying we have so many cores it won't matter, but as Dwarden said it does matter when the complexity of battle goes way up. HOWEVER, for those of us not using the average on-board mobo audio the PCIe X-Fi Titanium is very fast, uses little comparative mobo bandwidth (vs; older solutions), and uses less cpu overhead than other solutions.

So the thing I want to do is QUANTIFY the difference bwtee 32, 64, and 128. I just can't figure out an accurate way to do that yet... though I guess I could program 128 tanks to shoot at targets at the same time. :p

stuttering is the fps hitting 0.0 FPS and then shooting back up to 20, 30 - 40 FPS also mini-freezes. Which you can see in single player.

Oo so thats the big bad lag issue. OA took ArmA 2 down with it, play some ArmA 2 and getting that lag issue in ArmA 2 now. Try to uninstall OA to get the good ArmA 2 back but that even did not work. I realy hope that this patch thats comeing fix this lag issue so that ArmA 2 and OA can be played, cause both are now unplayable!

Oo so thats the big bad lag issue. OA took ArmA 2 down with it, play some ArmA 2 and getting that lag issue in ArmA 2 now. Try to uninstall OA to get the good ArmA 2 back but that even did not work. I realy hope that this patch thats comeing fix this lag issue so that ArmA 2 and OA can be played, cause both are now unplayable!

My arma 2 didnt stutter but OA did. Once i had downloaded and installed Beta Patch 17900 and used the .exe it makes in your Arma 2 directory it solved the stuttering for me. Should try it and see if it fixes it for you.

Link below:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101571

Hope it works, Good luck :)

See thats the thing, i got good FPS 40-60 yet i get this skipping lag issue going on. This is with the beta patch also. Its not FPS that is making it like an slideshow. Its OA itself, i cant even move with out it skipping. FPS does drop bad when next to any building but, even when not around an buildings i get this lag shutter thing going on with 60FPS. So its not the FPS its something in OA thats doing this. Iv done alot of OC this and that but when it comes down to it, its OA that doing this. Like i said befor iv uninstalled OA and still i got that lag issue in ArmA 2 not as bad as OA but its where you can tell. Iv not had this problem till i installed OA. It has done something to ArmA 2 all around.

That's exactly why I'm trying to devise a sound benchmark test. Now in Win XP the asnwer would be "NO hit on the cpu whatsoever" as all that processing is offloaded to the sound card. However in Vista/7 it all changed which really upset me because it cut a signnificant option we'd all had to increase total performance. Microsft went the route of saying we have so many cores it won't matter, but as Dwarden said it does matter when the complexity of battle goes way up. HOWEVER, for those of us not using the average on-board mobo audio the PCIe X-Fi Titanium is very fast, uses little comparative mobo bandwidth (vs; older solutions), and uses less cpu overhead than other solutions.

So the thing I want to do is QUANTIFY the difference bwtee 32, 64, and 128. I just can't figure out an accurate way to do that yet... though I guess I could program 128 tanks to shoot at targets at the same time. :p

Or have 128 soldiers firing constantly, or 128 helicopters flying around, or some combination thereof. Should work okay for a benchmark as long as there are plenty of sounds going all at once and the benchmark is easy to reproduce.

Or have 128 soldiers firing constantly, or 128 helicopters flying around, or some combination thereof. Should work okay for a benchmark as long as there are plenty of sounds going all at once and the benchmark is easy to reproduce.

128 helos flying around your head? LOLOLOL :D

You can't. A2 doesn't have an option in the menu. You'll need to use your graphics card's settings to turn it off. If you've got ATI, you'll need to install ATI Traytools in order to be able to do so.

Something that has really helped iron out stutters for me that I would never usually have thought to try is mouse smoothing. I know that most gamers' reaction to the suggestion will be one of horror, since we all like our mouse to respond precisely to our movements, but just try turning it back on. To do so wasn't as unpleasant as I thought it would be.

I turned it on and up to over 50%, and it has totally smoothed out my frames, along with switching the flip-queue to 3 and TrackIR smoothness up/speed down.

I think this must help the game engine because it can predict where it needs to render over the next few frames, whereas when you have a super-responsive mouse setting with zero smoothing, it can't predict what it's going to render next. Perhaps the engine simply misses out rendering intermediate frames if the mouse is moving faster than it can handle, leading to choppiness.

@Richey79

Now its where you can use the mouse option to smooth out stutters and the choppiness lag? Crazy, first was your CPU then AA and so on.. never seen it to where some one change there mouse to get better FPS or to make the game smoother and less lag/stutter. Next thing ya know we going to have to put one foot on the computer and right hand on are mouse to get better game play lol. Sound to much like the spokesman for apple iphone to me, get better reception by putting aluminum foil on your head! Back on topic, ArmA 2 ran like butter then OA mess alot of thing up with the lag/stutter going on. Did nothing to the mouse nor my CPU in ArmA 2 to get better FPS or to make it run smoother. Iv put the same settings from ArmA 2 on OA and it runs so lagy with choppiness. In all words both OA and ArmA 2 now itself needs to be fix cause the lag/stutter issue. This issue came over to ArmA 2 by OA.

Edited by 1in1class
need

Lol, put shoe on head.

180px-Cargirl_shoe_on_head.jpg

It'll get fixed. Yes it's frustrating. For me it's worth tinkering in the meantime to work out how to minimise the problems.

Works worse than A2 1.07 in some ways and at some settings; but I can put AF and AA higher using OA.exe (Chernarus included), so it's not all bad news.

this game is a shame,as arma2 ,it has NEVER works well ,even on medium or high system like mine,i think the programmers needs to go back to school and re learn everything ,this game is VERY badly coded,maybe coded with foots but not with hands.

i bought arma 2

i bought arrowhead ,let me tell you bohemia that i really regret loosing my money because of you.

i have an i7 860@3.6 -8 gig ram-ati 5850-velociraptor-caviar black 7200

and these games have stutters all the time.:mad: even with tweaks in this forum.you can banned me i don t care.

i found,maybe this game is to find a way to make it run smoothly,like a lot of other games????

SHAME on you.

DO a patch fast.

i don t thank you.:mad:

Edited by ericd

this game is a shame,as arma2 ,it has NEVER works well ,even on medium or high system like mine,i think the programmers needs to go back to school and re learn everything ,this game is VERY badly coded,maybe coded with foots but not with hands.

i bought arma 2

i bought arrowhead ,let me tell you bohemia that i really regret loosing my money because of you.

i have an i7 860@3.6 -8 gig ram-ati 5850-velociraptor-caviar black 7200

and these games have stutters all the time.:mad: even with tweaks in this forum.you can banned me i don t care.

i found,maybe this game is to find a way to make it run smoothly,like a lot of other games????

SHAME on you.

DO a patch fast.

i don t thank you.:mad:

Come on Eric, i've got a i920, and an HD4870x2, 6 go of RAM so i'll rate my pc slightly above yours, Arm2 is working very well now with the 1.07 patch. It's true that OA needs optimization, but we just need a little patience.

Lol did that shoe work? There is nothing bad about minimise some of the problems, but to say its your "CPU" or anything that some one can think of up top there head/shoe lol, thats just not the right way. We all know that its not are computers, its OA itself. Just hope the next patch does fix this issue with the stutter/lag issue that is going on. Some people have 2x better system then me and still run with lag and its choppiness with the same FPS. Its OA game itself and BI needs to step up and fix this issue. I think BI will fix this issue, just hope its soon then later.

Come on Eric, i've got a i920, and an HD4870x2, 6 go of RAM so i'll rate my pc slightly above yours, Arm2 is working very well now with the 1.07 patch. It's true that OA needs optimization, but we just need a little patience.

well when im going ro buy some bread ,the baker man don t tell me ,oh the bread is not finish yet ,please come back with your bread in one year and a half to to get it better to eat .. do you see what i mean ??

you can t sell a game in this state !! it was the same with op flash,arma2 ,and now arrowhead,this is not normal and i don t have the patience to wait that they finish their game,im not here to test ,but to play,do i have to pay to test a game??a game should be totally finish when it comes out,and it s true for all editors not only bohemia.thx prof tournesol to answered me..

ericd

you can t sell a game in this state !! it was the same with op flash,arma2 ,and now arrowhead,this is not normal and i don t have the patience to wait that they finish their game

First off, yes, they can release a game in this state. Arrowhead's in an excellent state. Second, if you don't have the patience for it, a little bit of research before buying would have shown you this would likely have been the case, so this is obviously the wrong game for you. Think with your brain instead of your wallet. ;)

well when im going ro buy some bread ,the baker man don t tell me ,oh the bread is not finish yet ,please come back with your bread in one year and a half to to get it better to eat .. do you see what i mean ??

you can t sell a game in this state !! it was the same with op flash,arma2 ,and now arrowhead,this is not normal and i don t have the patience to wait that they finish their game,im not here to test ,but to play,do i have to pay to test a game??a game should be totally finish when it comes out,and it s true for all editors not only bohemia.thx prof tournesol to answered me..

ericd

Well, at least you didn't use the tired old "if it were a car!" schtick. The performance will get substantially better as the game right now is brand new. If you bought Combined Arms you should be able to use the ArmA2 launcher and play the original ArmA2 scenarios and campaign nice and spiffy. Keep in mind BIS is a small team and they need to sleep sometime. There are few (if any) games out there that have the complexity and fully destructible environments of an area like Zargabad - so give it a little time and you'll be glad you did. If you do live in France - enjoy some of the summer. Spend time outside on some of those nice beaches you've got ;)

Also, maybe try your hand at designing missions. There can never be a shortage of cool new ideas from people.

Hi guys I can maxout OA without problem and was wondering what I should set hdrprecision too its at 8 by default with all ingame settings maxed out.

Hi guys I can maxout OA without problem and was wondering what I should set hdrprecision too its at 8 by default with all ingame settings maxed out.

You should be all set @8.

Just FYI I set (or defaulted) video memory to default on my ATi card (below) and got graphical artifacts which look like overclocking/overheating despite my card being on default settings. Reset to very high and they stopped.

Also, I believe LAA does not work with 32 bit XP - is that the case, and so RAMDisks are still useful for those of us clinging to XP ?

cjph

Just FYI I set (or defaulted) video memory to default on my ATi card (below) and got graphical artifacts which look like overclocking/overheating despite my card being on default settings. Reset to very high and they stopped.

Also, I believe LAA does not work with 32 bit XP - is that the case, and so RAMDisks are still useful for those of us clinging to XP ?

cjph

Use RivaTuner to monitor the GPU temps and to adjust the fan cooling. Set the video memory on high.

First off, yes, they can release a game in this state. Arrowhead's in an excellent state. Second, if you don't have the patience for it, a little bit of research before buying would have shown you this would likely have been the case, so this is obviously the wrong game for you. Think with your brain instead of your wallet. ;)

sorry but i don t agree with you ,its not the first time ,it s the third time that they do exactly the same thing;

what i mean is that ,i don t want to paid to get an unfinished game and to find the numerous bugs for them !!,or they paid me ,this world is turning in the wrong side or what?:mad:

my wallet is not enough large to buy games that don t work when u install it,what would you say if you buy a song in itunes and get only the half or with an absolutly ugly sound,you will not say anything??

it s only in game edition that we see this!! i have 2 pc at home all games are working well except 2 ,arma2(how many patches ? at last 7),normal??,and now arrowhead ,come on you know im right ,sorry for my english ,as all the french guys ,im always crying ,lol.:rolleyes:

see you soon zipper

the game must be finished when it comes out ,look for "blizzard" ,their game works everytime at the first time .i don t blame bohemia cause i know its a small team ,but they have to do better when they out their games.

ericd

eric