Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

Would it be prudent for me to buy a 1gb ati5670, and crossfire it with my 512mb ati5670?

Right now it appears my vram runs out (ground textures stop loading after a while, especially in big battles, and I get cluster star artifacts, and other artifacts). I think it has to do with my card running out of room. But I'm not positive an extra gb would help because the 5670 is low on the totem pole for the 5xxx series. Btw the MB can handle two pcie at 16x speed.

Seriously BI, I get 20 frigging FPS on very low. 3D res 33%. The game looks like Doom 1. Need I mention I get 20 FPS on very high as well?

Something has gone wrong in production. On arma 2 I got 60 FPS constantly, I could be in Chernagorsk in a huge fight and be happily running along at 60, I go into the midlde of the Takistani desert and I max out at 20 and the graphics look horrible, the textures don't load and turn into a huge splodge. Horrible issues.

I have just finished reading through the entire thread. It looks to me that BIS simply doesnt give a crap about us. Dont they test the game on different graphic cards and see the results. Are they forgetting that we paid for this unfinnished piece of crap. Its a bloody daylight robbery. Somebody should take them court for this.

What would you say if you have bought a car and for example wipers didnt work or car didnt idle right. Would you be ok with it and just wait for them to invent new wiper motor. Would you buy a the same car again? Crap no.

Enough is enough. Why do we have to wait for another dozen of patches.

Cant they do it right the first time? This is not a demo. Its supposed to be a final product. We been ripped off again.

Cheers for now. My blood is boiling.

Advocating piracy on the official developer's forum is never a good thing to do either. ;)

Edited by Zipper5
Pointless rant was pointless

Advocating piracy on the official developer's forum is never a good thing to do either. ;)

Mods made you remove your counter-rant?

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Strange indeed. Just installed EVGA Precision tools and it made my game somewhat playable (I assume it was EVGA), Max FPS i managed to get was 35 FPS but there still was the odd stutter going on. Was only playable to the extent of being able to complete Hike in the Hills without getting WTFPWNT by stutter.

On a side note is it right that OA makes my GPU Temp go from 41 at desktop to 53 at main Menu and then about 62 ingame?

Edited by A Smed

Ja you people should stop whining. If you want to experience fantastic war sim situations, you have to invest some time into the game as well. It makes the joy factor even bigger.

OA actually runs pretty smooth, especially the CPU is much less loaded. It makes great use of multiple cores and if you have a decent 1GB GPU, it should run just fine. The VRAM is very important with ArmA2. 1GB per graphical core is strongly required.

My experiences:

- Visibility: As I said, the CPU is less loaded so you can increase the visibility without significant framedrops! You won't see much visual changes setting it over 5000, so "5000" should be just fine. When the VRAM (< 1GB) is an issue, decreasing the visibility will load everything (textures, objects etc) much faster and give you a huge perf. boost in the benchmark.

- Texture detail: "Normal" gives the best balance between performance and visuals.

- Video memory: It's very important that you have enough video memory, and that you set the amount of it right in the option menu: link. I put it on "High" with my 1GB GPU.

- Terrain&objects detail: Putting it on "High" instead of "Normal" just slightly decreases the framerates (-1/2 FPS) but gives very remarkable visual changes. When the VRAM (< 1GB) is an issue, decreasing the visibility will load everything (textures, objects etc) much faster and give you a huge perf. boost in the benchmark.

- Shadow detail: You barely notice the visual decreasement putting it on "Normal" i.o. "High" while focused playing the game. It gives a proper perf. boost in dense surroundings (+2/3 FPS).

- Postprocess effects: If you enable it, put it on "Normal". It gives you proper visuals without the annoying slowdown while looking around on "High" and it loads your system just as heavy (or light) as on "Very low" and "Low". "Disabling" it saves like 2/3 FPS and you have a much sharper view which is more comfortable during fast and heated battle.

On my 'old' Q6600 @ 2.6GHz, 3870 X2 1GB and 4GB RAM I run a decent 30 avg FPS on 1900x1080 res. Still can't get my crossfire working though :D

Edited by osorkon

Would it be prudent for me to buy a 1gb ati5670, and crossfire it with my 512mb ati5670?

Right now it appears my vram runs out (ground textures stop loading after a while, especially in big battles, and I get cluster star artifacts, and other artifacts). I think it has to do with my card running out of room. But I'm not positive an extra gb would help because the 5670 is low on the totem pole for the 5xxx series. Btw the MB can handle two pcie at 16x speed.

you cannot crossfire diffrent GB cards

also, when in Xfire, the memory doesnt go to,

example: i have 2x 1gb 5770s, thats 2gb, but am able to use only 1 gb

BUt you can crossfire diffrent brand ATi cards, but gotta be from same family

you cannot crossfire diffrent GB cards

also, when in Xfire, the memory doesnt go to,

example: i have 2x 1gb 5770s, thats 2gb, but am able to use only 1 gb

BUt you can crossfire diffrent brand ATi cards, but gotta be from same family

okay, so basically all crossfiring does is improve gpu processing? And I could crossfire a 5870 with my 5670 as long as they are both 512mb?

My problem doesn't appear to be processing on the GPU, but the fact that I don't have enough memory (even though 512 is recommended not minimum).

Would i be better off crossfiring two 512mbs or getting a 1gb 5670/higher model?

Mods made you remove your counter-rant?

Nope, I chose to remove it myself. Wasn't worth wasting my time on. Looking through his posts, finding that he's been talking about torrenting OA and reporting them was, though. :D

Can somebody answer one question?. Why didnt BIS gave us a demo?

Possible answer is. Because they would not make a dime out of this game.

Bloody bunch of amateurs.

If u just won't/intellectually can't understand the ArmA franchise, do not play it and STFU instead of soiling this proper thread.

ty

okay, so basically all crossfiring does is improve gpu processing? And I could crossfire a 5870 with my 5670 as long as they are both 512mb?

My problem doesn't appear to be processing on the GPU, but the fact that I don't have enough memory (even though 512 is recommended not minimum).

Would i be better off crossfiring two 512mbs or getting a 1gb 5670/higher model?

I don't think having a second card in CrossFire would increase what you referred to as your VRAM. Say you had two 1gig cards in CrossFire: your effective graphics RAM would be 1gig still. The textures all have to load onto both cards.

All CrossFire does is increase your graphics processing horse power. If you put a 512 and 1gig card together, the 1gig will only use 512MB graphics RAM (best scenario). Worst scenario, it'll give you artifacts, processing errors etc.

Best to go for a symmetrical setup where possible. You'll encounter enough 'little issues' with CrossFire as it is... .

Actually, I dunno if you noticed, but there's a pretty large following behind their game. :cool:

Meh, I'm thinking of buying a 1 gig ati5750 off newegg, more power and more vram than my 5670. Hopefully the 1 gb will clear up my artifacts and texture problems (as I've said before I can get 40+ fps in most situations, so I think i've narrowed down the problem)

Don't know what I'll do with the 5670, not big on selling things online and don't have many computer geek friends. Just hate having got a card not long ago, and having to replace it to play a game, I knew I shouldn't have went with 512 in the first place.

Seriously BI, I get 20 frigging FPS on very low. 3D res 33%. The game looks like Doom 1. Need I mention I get 20 FPS on very high as well?

Same here I cant squeeze 30fps to save my life.....

Thats 10 years of Advanced engine development for you, as the box says. :j::j:

Maybe Ill hold off on purchasing a 300 dollar graphics card since it looks like it wont help at all and this is the only game that would warrant me purchasing one.

Alright my thing is with fraps (oh no another one)

With just ArmA 2 with fraps recording I could get around 30 fps and without it recording I would get 70 fps (this is with Very High settings)

Now with ArmA 2:OA without fraps recording I still get 70 fps but with it recording it goes all over the place usually dropping down to 1 and 10 and the fps just lags like crazy. This is even on Chernarus or Utes.

Just asking is there something I need to do to fix this.

P.S. tried recording with very low settings and it still did the same lagging FPS thing.

Alright my thing is with fraps (oh no another one)

With just ArmA 2 with fraps recording I could get around 30 fps and without it recording I would get 70 fps (this is with Very High settings)

Now with ArmA 2:OA without fraps recording I still get 70 fps but with it recording it goes all over the place usually dropping down to 1 and 10 and the fps just lags like crazy. This is even on Chernarus or Utes.

Just asking is there something I need to do to fix this.

P.S. tried recording with very low settings and it still did the same lagging FPS thing.

Lol just be lucky that you can run it nevermind running it at 70 FPS. :D

There's no fix for that issue. I believe it was introduced when BIS started the whole -exThreads=x thing in the beta patches. It seems to not affect some, but no one knows why.

Using the OA beta patch fixed the 0-fps bug with Fraps recording for me.

Well im glad to report that beta patch 17900 seems to have fixed my stuttering, I tried it before and it didnt do anything but i just tried it again and this time i used the .exe shortcut that it automaticaly makes when you install the patch and tried out "Hike in the Hills" again and no stuttering what so ever, absolutely flawless.

Thank god it worked cos i was ready to get all "nerd rage" on my comp and throw it thru the upstairs window...:dance:

Btw BI, kudos on the weapon horizontal recoil, makes using a weapon more harder which is always good in my book :D

System Spec:

i930 2.8 over clocked to 4.0 (water cooled) Tried stock 2.8 and no change in fps

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard

12 gig DDR3 Triple Channel PC3 10700

GTX 260, 896 Video Ram

Win 7 64 bit on a 10k SATA 3

ArmA 2 and OA installed on a 30 gig SSD

Virtual memory on 2nd drive 19000 mb fixed

Bench Marks:

BM01 52 fps

BM02 23 fps

E08 44 fps

In big towns i set visibility lower and when flying i set higher.

1920x1200 @ 100%

Visibility 2000

Texture - High

Video Memory - Very High

AF- disabled

AA - disabled

Terrain - very low

Objects - High

Shadow - High

PP - very low

32 = audio

-nosplash -world=empty -cpucount=4 (fixes micro stutter) -exThreads=7 (no change seen with this option)

Nvidia Control Panel:

pre-rendered frames = 3 (also edit CFG file to match)

Texture filter = high performance

Triple buffer = off

Vsync = force off

Power = Maximum performance

Turned off all Window features except .Net and Explorer 8

Windows Experience Index:

Processor: 7.7

Memory: 7.7

Graphics/Gaming: 7.2

Hard Drive: 5.9

Edited by frogblastvent

Once you have your optimal ArmA settings, delete the CFG file and restart and set to those new settings.
Sorry, but why should we do that?

I do not understand the set-up of your system? Your GPU is like a huge bottleneck. And 12GB RAM wtf?

PS: Still can't get my crossfire working :mad:

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

i930 2.8 over clocked to 4.0 (water cooled) <> In big towns i set visibility lower and when flying i set higher. ?

GTX 260, 896 Video Ram <> Video Memory - Very High ?

Terrain - very low <> Objects - High ?

PP - very low ?

32 = audio ?

12 gig DDR3 Triple Channel PC3 10700 <>Turned off all Window features except .Net and Explorer 8 ?

Once you have your optimal ArmA settings, delete the CFG file and restart and set to those new settings. ?

:confused: Reading the previous postscould be useful.

Well im glad to report that beta patch 17900 seems to have fixed my stuttering, I tried it before and it didnt do anything but i just tried it again and this time i used the .exe shortcut that it automaticaly makes when you install the patch and tried out "Hike in the Hills" again and no stuttering what so ever, absolutely flawless.

Thank god it worked cos i was ready to get all "nerd rage" on my comp and throw it thru the upstairs window...:dance:

Btw BI, kudos on the weapon horizontal recoil, makes using a weapon more harder which is always good in my book :D

Well patch did nothing for the lag issue as still the game is very much unplayable. This stuttering that you talk about is that the lag? Cause you most of config or made an whole different game for that lag to be gone, and you should make an patch for the OA game itself lol. OA lag skipping issue thats in the SP editor game needs to be fix so we can play the game!

Might be an idea to have an Arrowhead section(seperate thread) for configs and system specs...parameter's and average frames?...example:

CPU
:CORE I7 920 @ 2.4 (STOCK HT ON)

RAM
:6GB

GFX
:4870X2

SCREEN SIZE
:19INCH...75 REFRESH

DESKTOP RES
:1280X1024

GAME RESOLUTION
:1280X1024

FILL RATE/3D RENDER?
:100%

TEXTURE DETAIL
:VERY HIGH

VIDEO MEMORY
:VERH HIGH

ANISOTROPIC FILTERING
LOW

ANTIALIASING
:LOW

TERRAIN DETAIL
: VERY HIGH

OBJECT DETAIL
:VERH HIGH

SHADOW DETAIL
:HIGH

POSTPROCESS EFFECTS
: DISABLED

INTERFACE SIZE
: SMALL

ASPECT RATIO
: 5:4TFT

HDD
: SSD 40GB

CONFIG:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=180000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1280;

Resolution_H=1024;

refresh=75;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1280;

Render_H=1024;

FSAA=1;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=2;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1063804928;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

Windowed=0;

MAXFRAMES
(FRAPS):75FPS

PARAMETERS USED
: -nofilepatching -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

BETA
: (VERSION OR N/A)

This is only an example!!!
.... My arma 2 run's great after some tweaks to the config...in some instances running at over 100fps but i have had a lot problems getting to that stage..... would be good for people that are having issues to use them as a reference as some may have similar rigs/problems? Just an idea. I still dont have arrowhead yet but helped my friend [sONAF]Kickasss get his to run at a max of 75fps with a little messing around so it was worth the effort and he's well happy.....now i have to wait for the game myself :( (violin's):bounce3:.

also if You set sound samples to 64 - 128 then be aware in intensive action there is measurable CPU usage by the amount of played soundsamples

What if you have a fast dedicated sound card, such as an X-Fi card? Is the CPU load the same?