Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons

With adding the -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 launch parametres, do i simply open the properties and launch options of the game through steam and paste -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 in there?

Or is there something else i need to do, i say this because i did it and it hasn't made a difference while most other people report big fps increases because of it.

Maybe i'm just unlucky and it has no effect for me :confused:

With adding the -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 launch parametres, do i simply open the properties and launch options of the game through steam and paste -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 in there?

Or is there something else i need to do, i say this because i did it and it hasn't made a difference while most other people report big fps increases because of it.

Maybe i'm just unlucky and it has no effect for me :confused:

In the target field of the shortcut, make sure you go to the very end, add one space and paste in the above. Those settings are for quadcore. Is that what you have?

Yeah i have a Phenom 9500 2.2 Quad core.

Also because i have Arrowhead through steam i just add it in the steam launch options for Arma 2 OA yeah?

As far as i can see the Arma2OA.exe in the Steam directory doesn't have a target field.

Can someone help me with parameters?

Should i put this? : -nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

For my rig:

Q6600@3,2GHz

EX38-DQ6

GTX 260@accelero Xtreme

I got 2.93 Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 32, GTX 260, main screen res is 1900x1xxx , game works but poor and sometimes FPS goes to 0 for few seconds, anyone can advice settings to try?

nothing gives me a boost in FPS in this

starting to really piss me off

rig: x4 620 @ 3Hz, Xfire 5770's, 4gb, win7 64bit

So did anybody try the new beta of Nvidia? Did it make the lag thing in SP game go away? Not seeing to much of anyone saying the beta driver did goods for this issue nor to much about the cpuCount by some people. So what works?

I introduced the new Nvidia Beta driver to my computer and went from blacking out every 3 to 4 minutes in the city (PvP) map to NO blackouts in this map. And all the other maps seems to run smoothly.

I7 920 (not OC) 64 bit, Nvidia GTX 295 (Dual Core), 6 gigs (over kill for A2/OA), Windows 7 Home Premium.

Edited by ChiefRedCloud

nothing gives me a boost in FPS in this

starting to really piss me off

rig: x4 620 @ 3Hz, Xfire 5770's, 4gb, win7 64bit

Mines a

X4 925 @2.8 1 x 5770 4gb win7 64 bit with none of the alterations above and the fps is fine, what are you getting ?

Mines a

X4 925 @2.8 1 x 5770 4gb win7 64 bit with none of the alterations above and the fps is fine, what are you getting ?

im getting 60fps, but as soon as i get into a city ( where i mostly like to fight ), it drops to around the 20-25fps mark, which is crap

i did do a little testing, and it hasnt hit below 30 in a city now, which is fine cause im slow paces and 30fps is smooth

will see how it goes though

ps, i think MP lag has a little to do with FPS drop, i was getting good FPS in a MP game ( 16 ping ), then abou 20 people joined, and my fps were getting lower and lower

Ok people its not your system, its OA itself! People have try out all kinds of work arounds and have maybe got 3-5 FPS better but none have fix the issue with the lag and skipping the the game does in SP editor. Yha your going to get 3-5 FPS if you overclock or so on but, OA itself is the cause of the little slideshow of lag. Iv seen people with 2x better computer then mine and they get the same lag and FPS as i do. OA needs to run more smoother and get that bad lag out of the SP/editor game! Hope BI fix this issue very soon.

What's kind of depressing is it reminds me of when A2 was first released: Massive reduction of FPS just from going near a group of buildings and stutter due to objects swapping LODs and textures loading. I thought we wouldn't have any of this since BIS spent the past year trying fixing it all ( which by the last patch they pretty much had).... But AO seems to have all same original problems, even with the new beta patch applied to it. :confused:

As I have always said, buildings are taking up way too much CPU time. ( although, at least in OA the buildings look considerably more detailed than A2 buildings. Maybe too high poly, they are very curved.

For a test go to the desert map in the editor and put yourself on the map, then test to see how many fps you get. Then do the exact same except this time add a Town Construction Module. For me these few buildings half my FPS.

I've tried cpu-count, ex-threads, physX, vertical sync etc. etc. Ive never noticed ANY improvements in terms of FPS after each patch. I'm getting 20-28 FPS on normal to high settings. Should I expect more? My specs are: i7 920, GTX 260, 6 Gig ram, W7 64-bit. My HD speed is 7200 rpm. Is that the bottleneck? Any suggestions?

What's kind of depressing is it reminds me of when A2 was first released: Massive reduction of FPS just from going near a group of buildings and stutter due to objects swapping LODs and textures loading. I thought we wouldn't have any of this since BIS spent the past year trying fixing it all ( which by the last patch they pretty much had).... But AO seems to have all same original problems, even with the new beta patch applied to it. :confused:

As I have always said, buildings are taking up way too much CPU time. ( although, at least in OA the buildings look considerably more detailed than A2 buildings. Maybe too high poly, they are very curved.

For a test go to the desert map in the editor and put yourself on the map, then test to see how many fps you get. Then do the exact same except this time add a Town Construction Module. For me these few buildings half my FPS.

This is a good observation, But it sure seems it would get tiresome with nothing but sand and more sand and nothing else.

Just an observation.

On the benchmark mission I get over 50 fps avg.

But I still get artifacts while flying.....

ugh, I have no idea what to do anymore.

I made some more tests after the beta 71900 was released.

I ran the OA benchmark mission 5 times for each of the tested settings for both the production version 1.52.71816 and the beta 1.52.71900,

using the following settings as a base, then for each of the 5 tests i changed some variables and noted the resulted average FPS (a minimal FPS would be more interesting information).

Results for Beta are in red color, blue color is the production version.

Base settings

Visibility: 2520m . . . . . . . . . . . . . Interface resolution: 1280x720x32 . . . . 3D Resolution: 1280x720 (100%)

Texture detail: Very High . . . . . . Terrain detail: Normal . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Postprocess: Disabled

Video memory: Default .... . . . . . Objects detail: Normal

Anisotropic filtering: Very High ... Shadows detail: High

Antialiasing: Disabled

* The armaoa.exe was renamed to arma2.exe to force Crossfire (not much difference though).

* Mipmap Detail Level set in Catalysts to Performance.

* V Sync was ON at 75Hz (so it will do max 75 FPS).

1.) Base settings only.

66, 64, 64, 62, 62

65, 65, 66, 66, 65

2.) Base settings + Antialiasing: High.

61, 58, 60, 63, 63

58, 65, 65, 60, 65

3.) Base settings + 3D Resolution: 2560x1440 (200%).

61, 57, 58, 58, 63

64, 62, 63, 63, 63

4.) Base settings + 3D Resolution: 2560x1440 (200%) + Objects detail: High.

54, 59, 59, 56, 56

61, 58, 59, 61, 60

5.) Base settings + 3D Resolution: 2560x1440 (200%) + Objects detail: High + Visibility: 5018.

45, 45, 46, 42, 42

46, 48, 46, 48, 50

As you can see, the new beta performs slightly better (at least on this specific computer), but the difference is minimal - probably nothing a player would notice in game (but i guess performance wasn't the main aim of this patch, so let's hope we'll get better performance with some future patches).

5133p39 - Excellent information. Nice way to the format it too.

Did you konw that allowing Vsync to work the game is generally going to work in fractions of the max vsync value? ie. 1/2, 1/3 etc? For example I knew right off the bat Vsync was on when I first got the game because I couldn't attain more than 30 fps.

yeah this is sad Im getting horrible performance in OA even at 100% 3d res and everything on medium

tons of LOD thrasing and very slow texture loading

even my friend whos running a 5870 and an intel i5 is getting about 25fps on high not highest whats going on :confused:

I cant enjoy any of this new content because of the unplayable framerate and stuttering.

:(

yeah this is sad Im getting horrible performance in OA even at 100% 3d res and everything on medium

tons of LOD thrasing and very slow texture loading

even my friend whos running a 5870 and an intel i5 is getting about 25fps on high not highest whats going on :confused:

I cant enjoy any of this new content because of the unplayable framerate and stuttering.

:(

Same, Clan is doing a few things in OA over the next few days and wont be able to join due to the unplayablility im having with this and the strangest thing is im the only person in the clan having this problem with OA :butbut:

in case You wonder you have different framerates in demo showcase mission and then in game in some mission etc.

this is often related to AI factor

the rolling demo has way less tasks and synced scripting running

for example, squad of soldiers recalculating theirs new pathing in rough terrain, around just spotted enemy, to flank attack them

will cost more CPU time than just some AI walking on predefined waypoints on flat terrain...

also if You set sound samples to 64 - 128 then be aware in intensive action there is measurable CPU usage by the amount of played soundsamples

I have just finished reading through the entire thread. It looks to me that BIS simply doesnt give a crap about us. Dont they test the game on different graphic cards and see the results. Are they forgetting that we paid for this unfinnished piece of crap. Its a bloody daylight robbery. Somebody should take them court for this.

What would you say if you have bought a car and for example wipers didnt work or car didnt idle right. Would you be ok with it and just wait for them to invent new wiper motor. Would you buy a the same car again? Crap no.

Enough is enough. Why do we have to wait for another dozen of patches.

Cant they do it right the first time? This is not a demo. Its supposed to be a final product. We been ripped off again.

Cheers for now. My blood is boiling.

Well back to playing X3:TC till this gets fixed :bored:

i gotta feeling thats gonna be a LOOOOOOOOONG time :mad:

funny thing is

out of like atleast 30-40 diffrent things posted about being able to get better fps

not a single 1 works for me

i would be happy if something worked, but it dont

LOL same here! Egosoft are damn good with their support, too. :)

i gotta feeling thats gonna be a LOOOOOOOOONG time :mad:

funny thing is

out of like atleast 30-40 diffrent things posted about being able to get better fps

not a single 1 works for me

i would be happy if something worked, but it dont

Lol same. :mad_o:

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

LOL same here! Egosoft are damn good with their support, too. :)

Lol im hooked on trading :p

Anyways back ontopic does anyone remember how long it took them to fix this problem with Arma 2?

I just ran Arma 2 about 10 minutes ago and its really really smooth then over to OA and its like im running it on a PC with Windows 98...