Mi-24 like you've never seen

Check this out:

Mi-24_1.JPG

And this:

Mi-24_2.JPG

And then this:

Mi-24_3.JPG

Cool huh?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ April 20 2002,14:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's been posted.<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, guess I missed it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ April 20 2002,12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's been posted.<span id='postcolor'>

I never saw it before.

What kind of bird is that?

No, what kind of BIRD is that? As in, what is that thing thats been painted on the Mi-24 Hind?

Eagle? I was thinking American Eagle but it doesn't seem likely smile.gif

u know,if u think of the pilots helmet as the eagles eye the birds a lot meaner looking smile.gif

It's definitely not an American Bald Eagle. It's feathers are brown, not white. And Bald eagle's are real strong patriotic symbols of The U.S. Not Russia.

Lol they have eagles in Russia you know, not American Bald Eagles but still, eagles. I'm pretty sure it's that or a hawk.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 20 2002,23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lol they have eagles in Russia you know, not American Bald Eagles but still, eagles. I'm pretty sure it's that or a hawk.<span id='postcolor'>

But not an owl? sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barret @ April 20 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But not an owl? sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Never seen an owl that looked like that (And yes I know not many birds look like a Hind). What i mean is,owls are too flat-faced

new russian stealth technology. "bob whats that.. shoot it!, naa its just a bird"

It has the genral feathering of the Golden Eagle. Its a North American bird of prey, but nowadays it is very rare.

Ah yes, those exist in Russia too, as a matter of fact there's a prototype fighter nicknamed after it. S-37 (prototype designation, not the same as Su-37) "Berkut"

s37_05.jpg

s37_07.jpg

biggrin.gif . It gives greater maneuverability and has the same speed characteristics as forward swept wings, but it is more aerodynamically unstable , so it relies heavily on Fly-by-wire. The Germans were the first to experiment with it in WWII, but since computers couldn't be put on planes back then they never got far. The US also had a prototype like it, the X-29 but AFAIK they gave up on that approach. It looks like the Russians are planning to have that operational around the same time as the F-22 comes out.

*edit* as a comparison here's the US X-29 prototype.

x29flight2.jpg

in case you visit southern california, visit edwards AFB, located about 100 miles NE of LA. they have tours every business day. there are 2 tours. one is conducted by marines regarding airbase, another by NASA. I went to NASA one and it was ok.

i got to see BlackBird(or whatever that fast black- recon jet is) and they also display that Z-29 there with an Elf doll in cockpit.

i also got to see a Ah-64 doing quick landing procedure when i visited(from far away of course)

but i have to warn you that if you are not a US citizen, you need to call in advance and make reservation a lot earlier than UC citizens. all ppl need to call in to make reservation, about a week b4. you are basically entering US AFB, guarded by marines(Kinda wierd now i think about it)

also, it's pretty dry-hot there. if you ever went to desert, this is same. i was lucky to go there during summer, but with clouds, so temperature was slighlt over 100 farenheight.(about 36 celcius)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ April 21 2002,04:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in case you visit southern california, visit edwards AFB, located about 100 miles NE of LA.<span id='postcolor'>

hmmm...if I do go, which passport do you think I should bring? My Cuban passport or my Canadian one? biggrin.gif. Who knows, the former might come in handy if I'm in the States and I get curious about what it might be like to get arrested for espionage.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 21 2002,05:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ April 21 2002,04wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in case you visit southern california, visit edwards AFB, located about 100 miles NE of LA.<span id='postcolor'>

hmmm...if I do go, which passport do you think I should bring? My Cuban passport or my Canadian one? biggrin.gif. Who knows, the former might come in handy if I'm in the States and I get curious about what it might be like to get arrested for espionage.<span id='postcolor'>

There's no wall between canada and usa border,jump it smile.gif.