Sign in to follow this  
bad benson

Afghanistan - Uruzgan: WIP-release

First off, Thanks Bad Benson for an excellent island, I love Afghan themed islands and this is a great addition !

@anyone Complaining..

Go back read the first post again, download the necessary files and most important of all... Appreciate that its free and the the guy put tons of work in to get it this far :P

Again, thanks for a nice new island :D

EDIT:

Worked first time and runs smooth as silk.

i'm gonna release a new version with finished roadnetwork soon. just discovered Hommer Johnston's incredible Roadpainter.

The author might sort out what is really needed to run the map.

Most people are not used on how to use mods or how to put which ones together.

No, i know how but i dislike having to run around a hundred sources and sorting out stuff manually to be able to play.

Wow. So let me get this straight. He spends countless hours putting together this map but you don't like taking a few minutes to find some info about proper mod setup, etc?

I'm utterly left speechless......

Bed Benson,

Thank you. I'll give this a go.

There's some really wicked map building tools that have come out lately. I wish I could remember which ones they were, I'm not a map builder, I do remember seeing them on the front page of ArmAholic in the past few months. If you haven't already check their archives. There may be some other things that can vastly cut down on time spent.

BB, please continue to work on this wonderfull map. Doesn´t matter if you need 1 gig of additional addons, it´s definitely worth it! :)

wish i had sponsors. of course i know of that "issue". if i'll ever finish that thing, i'll remove those.

Thanks for the island, I love Afghanistan/desert islands. I really hope you finish this man.

i took a look at OA and i think i'll maybe do an OA version. cuz i think my map is more like the zargabad (or whatever) map style-wise. and since this one isn't really big i think my map with OA stuff will still be useful. i'm also a little disappointed with the clutter in some parts. so atm i'm a lil motivated again. we'll see how i feel about this after my exams.

just wanted to let u know.

Hi Bad Benson...

I'll just join the growing chorus of "Great Terrain! - definitely worth progressing further! - Worked first time for me with all addons just bundled together into a @Uruzgan\Addons\ modfolder"...

Seriously though, I've only just had a chance to see OA and, while it IS truly impressive - a lot of the oohing and aahing about the terrains is actually about the objects... the buildings, walls, foliage, etc - even the "dusty highway roads" are all awesomely superb quality... absolutely ideal for this terrain of yours...

By going 100% OA-compatible you could eliminate most of your additional addon packs - maybe just keep one personal custom objects pack for storing any extra clutters or stuff you decide to use - draw the rest of the objects from OA...

Homer has apparently sneakily been learning C++ and has a Cunning Plan for a fairly impressively featured update of his road tool... meantime THIS TEST VERSION is the one to play with - it features proper cam control so you can view the road from any angle as you lay it (older versions were top-down only)... its a Test Version, which means its a little rough around the edges, but works just fine.... It singlehandedly saved me from Road Despair on my own 20x20km project...

A million times faster than the Visitor roadtool - you'll spend more time smoothing up after the BIS "road smooth" script than actually laying the roads now.... a Massive timesaver...

Real Life - and specially Exams! - has to take precedence... but Island Making is a long-term discipline, as you know...

Drop this project like a hot rock until Exams are done and dusted, then pick it up and give it the roads and objects it deserves!

(can you tell I'm sometimes a Uni teacher in RL ?? ;))

P.S. for the non-terrain makers....

This terrain is 20x20km... the same size as Chernarus, or Sahrani... thats FOUR "Dualas" in a square, or SIXTEEN "Thirsks"... Cherno and Sahrani took a team of guys a year to make... think about that.... Island Making often counts in the Thousands Of Hours Of Work category...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Ohh yes, please develop this further with OA addons...

Jesus 20x20km is just what we are needing for proper engangement and so on....

Please please please develop this further.... unbelievable that i missed this island...

I case you are not sure if enough people have OA to justify this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103527

Hey man. This looks amazing. Downloading now. Being an Aussie, we operate out of Uruzagan. Would be unreal if you could fully finish it and implement the OA buildings. :) Can see a campaign coming along haha

exactly HOW DO YOU INSTALL this lol......

"Install:

You know the drill, put the addons with the bisign files in your desired addon folder."

doesnt help o,o

i keep getting arma 2 has stoped working when loading uruzgan*<

nvm i had missplaced a PBO got it working

Edited by lostninja

I am also interested in whether this is dead, there is a large lack of Afghanistan maps, ironic since OA provides so much great things for such a map.

i have all the required addons already + caa1, but stil arma 2 crashes desktop "ArmA 2 has stopped working". :/

Is a shame, i can't find whats wrong. I've checked everything like a billion times..

SO wanted to make some ADF missions since us aussie's are currently in southern Uruzgan. :(

i know it's not really solving your problem but i'm gonna release an OA version of this soon(-er or later:p;)). so please wait and then do it for the new version. i would so love to play a mission on my map that's made by someone else.

i know it's not really solving your problem but i'm gonna release an OA version of this soon(-er or later:p;)). so please wait and then do it for the new version. i would so love to play a mission on my map that's made by someone else.

WoooHoo! OA Version, just what I've been waiting for! :D

Thanks Benson.

maybe ill try to make a mission w/ AAW guys on this map (don't they operate there?)

i love this map :)

yes...an OA version!!! does that mean that every building\compound\walls will be from OA! cause i really hate using maps with tons of other addons....even on my $3000 rig! not that OPX stuff aint nice...its just why use opx when you can use the better quility OA objects inwhich are made for this type map plus they are all enterable...and im sure if you need you can reskin the OA buildings to give them that more yellow-ish tan found on the buildings in that AO in real life!

Dave,

soooo, does this mean i gotta wait until it is released for OA to play this with CO, because it still should work on CO right? :/ well i don't got a lot of knowledge about island making and stuff. ill try run ArmA 2 separate from CO and see if it works. it should right? or maybe ive got some files all mixed up. :S

maybe ill try to make a mission w/ AAW guys on this map (don't they operate there?)

i love this map :)

Yes we do. ;)