Sign in to follow this  
trouble

Challenger 1

for me it's almost impossible to play with it, after 1 min the screen become black with "charging in progress..."and the game become all fuzzy, trees become squares, tank textures change colour, while if i put another addon it goes well.

i think there's something wrong in the config or in Oxygen2

does anyone have this problem too??

Well, there are a lot of problems with this addon:

- only one(!) visual LOD with 31418 points/25606 faces and 59(!) sections.

- Textures doesn't have size of ^2, like 64x64, 128x256 or 2048x2048 which might cause problems with certain graphic cards.

- .rvmat files points to nohq and smdi textures in another addon but the config doesn't list it as required addon.

- config file is spammed with needless stuff.

- config file overwrites tank class which might surely cause trouble with other addons inheriting from class tank.

The creator has already been pointed to several of those problems already at his first addon released and i see he successfully ignored all advices given. Also i didn't saw any thread in the editing forum where he asked for help.

After all, this isn't a addon i would recommend.

The creator should completely rework the texturing so it's quality fits with the model polycount. Also he should create proper nohq and smdi maps aswell and get the config issues sorted.

from the quality of the model it doesn't seem UVMapped :/ , the model is good but you could try and uvmapping and baking the AO map wich might work as a base texture

Myke;1753780']Well' date=' there are a lot of problems with this addon:

- only one(!) visual LOD with 31418 points/25606 faces and 59(!) sections.

- Textures doesn't have size of ^2, like 64x64, 128x256 or 2048x2048 which might cause problems with certain graphic cards.

- .rvmat files points to nohq and smdi textures in another addon but the config doesn't list it as required addon.

- config file is spammed with needless stuff.

- config file overwrites tank class which might surely cause trouble with other addons inheriting from class tank.

The creator has already been pointed to several of those problems already at his first addon released and i see he successfully ignored all advices given. Also i didn't saw any thread in the editing forum where he asked for help.

After all, this isn't a addon i would recommend.

The creator should completely rework the texturing so it's quality fits with the model polycount. Also he should create proper nohq and smdi maps aswell and get the config issues sorted.[/quote']

Chill... no need to jump all over him. It would be better if you helped him out with some of these things. He obviously is a very good model maker and just needs a bit of help with the textures. The config of the Falcon at least was working just fine. How its layed out is just a matter of taste as some people like writing alot of notes and stuff or have lines disabled that they were experimenting with.

At any rate, while my mod can provide a little bit of help, I hope that skilled addon makers like yourself can give him a bit more help as far as specifics rather then lashing out at him in a rude way about the shortcomings of his addons. Slamming someone's hard work is not a good way to motivate people and if anything just drives people out of the ArmA2 mod community to go mod for some other game. At any rate, there are many mods (including my own) who would love to have someone who can model as nicely on their team. The texture stuff can all be learned over time.

To Trouble: I sent you a PM. Thanks bud.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

@Miles Teg

i don't know if you followed the discussion which started when trouble released his very first challenger addon. Already there i've pointed kindly to several serious problems which he might address. If he would have asked, i surely would have given a helping hand as far as i could. This didn't happened. Instead he releases new addons which have exactly the same issues.

I know you think i'm being rude, on the other side just waving hands and yelling "awesome" wont help either to improve quality. Someone has to point about the problems which some are pretty serious.

Having only one high poly visual LOD has serious impact on performance, The size of textures can make serious problems on certain graphic cards. I think this is what Boggart encountered.

I admit that the model is indeed awesome. The rest isn't. I fully understand that he might not be as good in texturing as he is in modelling. But then he should look for help which i didn't saw happen until today.

@trouble

i'm sorry if my post seemed to be harsh, i just hate it to see so much excellent work wasted if it could turn into a amazing addon. The potential is there, definately. Use it!

@Miles Teg

@[GLT]Myke

No problem, no offence taken, thanks for the positives, my textures are indeed, not quite up to par . . . . so any help with them & any of the other issues mentioned to improve it are most welcome . . . :)

@trouble

have you UV-mapped the challenger? Then a first step would be to merge all those textures into one (or several) larger textures. Create a empty 2048x2048 picture in photoshop (or whatever software you use) and copy paste your existing textures into this one. After that, open the UV Editor, select one of your old textures, select all copy to clipboard, load the new merged texture and paste the selection in there. Move/scale it so it fits with the respective part of the texture.

It isn't necessary to bring it down to a single texture. If it takes 5, then be it 5. When you have done this, your section count (which is very important for performance) already will be fairly down.

Maybe this one might be of a little help aswell: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96914

Also search the editing forum about "sections" to find some threads about how optimizing them.

Myke;1754160']@trouble

have you UV-mapped the challenger? Then a first step would be to merge all those textures into one (or several) larger textures. Create a empty 2048x2048 picture in photoshop (or whatever software you use) and copy paste your existing textures into this one. After that' date=' open the UV Editor, select one of your old textures, select all copy to clipboard, load the new merged texture and paste the selection in there. Move/scale it so it fits with the respective part of the texture.

It isn't necessary to bring it down to a single texture. If it takes 5, then be it 5. When you have done this, your section count (which is very important for performance) already will be fairly down.

Maybe this one might be of a little help aswell: [url']http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96914[/url]

Also search the editing forum about "sections" to find some threads about how optimizing them.

Yes I have made several attempts to UV-mapp the challenger, so far not very succesfully, this at the moment is the biggest hurdle, not sure if this is down to my model, my technique, lack of experience, using o2, not enough attempts or and a combination of any or all of the above, will continue trying until succesfull tho . . . once UV - mapping is done I can then do textures as you say which I think I understand, will get there in the end, thanks for the help. :)

Aye, UV mapping is hell but definately worth the effort. Luckily i found someone who can do this for me, maybe looking for someone who might help you with is the solution. I guess no one can have all required skills which it takes to make a excellent addon. Your strong point seems to be the modelling. It looks really awesome, no doubt. Try to team up with some people that might do the works your weak in, like UV mapping.

After that, start to create lower details visual LOD's, generally each LOD having half the polycount the previous had, until you reach roughly 500 poly on the lowest. This will decrease performance hit dramatically.

Keep it up.

Thanks for the info Myke. UV mapping is something I need to learn as well.

Although with that said, my mod has a few old OFP addons with a bunch of textures and so far they don't create a big hit on the performance of my low-end computer as long as I don't add dozens of those tanks. So for small missions that only need like a platoon of them (which is generally how most armor missions are) they'll still work fine and I'm glad that he released them so that mission makers can have some fun with them until better updated versions are made.

But yeah, definitely better to have textures merged and also important to have them at the appropriate size otherwise, as you mentioned, they cause some graphic cards to have serious trouble. The other major benefit for merging the textures is that it makes the file size MUCH smaller because you don't have to make a ton of different .rvmat files and your rvmats can be much higher quality (not just a setting to make the textures shiny, but rather detailed bump-mapping etc... that brings out all the details in the textures).

One idea is maybe to try uv mapping on some simpler objects first to get the hang of it? I think I'm going to try that.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i just hate it to see so much excellent work wasted if it could turn into a amazing addon. The potential is there, definately. Use it!

yes, it's a really nice model! it's a pity that these "little" problems ruin a great addon.