DZR_Mikhail

AAR (After Action Review - replay of your battle in Arma2)

The project files were all lost. But recently I've found an old hdd and recovered it.

More details here 🙂 https://github.com/zvukoper/Arma2AAR

This project is no longer maintained. It is continued for Arma3.

You can continue development for Arma2 on GitHub if you like.

I will be glad to help with advice, but not action 🙂

Alpha Demo is out!

AAR Project Home at DEV-HEAVEN

Fresh AAR version

Readme\Wiki

Hi, I started this discussion some time ago for Arma1. Now it's time for A2.

What I need is help to find a way to make the following:

• Once the game is over - I can save it's replay and later watch it.
  • The replay should contain every soldiers' position updated live.
  • I should show every soldier on map as a marker.
  • It captures all the firing, deaths, hits, movement etc. and marks the map accrodingly.
  • Records weapons used, counts frags and etc.
  • The replay can be paused, forwarded and rewinded.
  • If possible, should place and move actual units in the game to be viewed as spectator, and change it's direction and position accrodingly. But simple map-marker visualization is enough.

Some thoughts and comments

So, what I know is that this is possible with jayarmalib.

As far as I know one can dump the actual unit data (pos, weapon, direction, health etc.) i.e. every 0.5 second during a battle into a file with adding the precise time of adding.

Then this log can be parsed as a set of script commands which create markers on map, moves them accrodingly to current time state, generates other markers for various events. This supposes no actual units ingame, only so to say a bunch of moving markers on the map.

I also think it's possible to parse the commands to create a dummy soldier unit, and move it accrodingly using dumped data around the map ingame. I heard that someone once done it for arma1 and the units not only moved but one could even see the bullets fly and explosions. So it was a really impressive replay with shootin simulation. (In other words someone done AAR before for Arma1!)

But again, it would be awesome to at least have the moving-markers-mapside style replay with death and kills stats, and who killed whom.

I think that the idea of such feature as AAR in Arma2 is very important and I think no one needs explanations why it's useful for a serious squad.

So, any help, comments, advise would be much appreciated. Please, share any knowledge that can help us create AAR.

P.s. I'm surprized no one started this subject yet. It's so obvious! And by the way, Virtual Battlespace has it built in long time ago! And it's fantastic. Just perfect. BI implemented thermal imaging directly from VBS, so why not AAR... even if we make it with our own hands... It's still possible and will be very useful.

That's BIS AAR description in VBS2

After Action Review ... Bookmarks can be dynamically added and all projectile paths and effects are captured and replayed. Additionally, terrain and ballistics analysis tools are included.

Video of VBS AAR in action :yay:

More relevant discussions happen on Google Wave

(Discussion in Russian - По-руÑÑки здеÑÑŒ)

Join our Google wave to discuss live

You won't have much success doing that without vbs2fusion I guess. Still a guy I know made a replay of a 3 hour game with 80 real players or so inside. So it is possible somehow.

But you see, I'm not that naive to plan to make it as smooth as in VBS. I'll be happy if we capture at least units movements and firing\hitting and show this all on a map using markers without precise 3d world reconstruction with animations and projectiles.

That map-like replay will be enough to at least have an ability to analyze battles.

I think Spooner created something, where you could watch a mini "map" of the current island, that was set up on a table. It would show infantry, aircraft, and vehicles, all in miniature, and you could watch the progression of the battle from the safety of your command bunker. Perhaps something similar could be made for ArmA II?

I think Spooner created something, where you could watch a mini "map" of the current island, that was set up on a table. It would show infantry, aircraft, and vehicles, all in miniature, and you could watch the progression of the battle from the safety of your command bunker. Perhaps something similar could be made for ArmA II?

You're referring to HoloMap for ArmA. Search the Ofpec forums for more details, but in application I don't think its really the required tool for battlefield replays.

How are you supposed to record 80x80km for 10 hours? Just general wondering. Have you found solution ?

Kilometres are not important. The unit number is the main aspect. It records all the data of AllUnits array not matter where they are.

Sounds great zvukoper ..... good luck to you mate. This will be awesome.

Thank you, I will need it. Now we're a little busy with other squad business... But we'll continue AAR development soon.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Visit our Google Wave on that topic. More relevant discussions and updates there.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

You can help devloping AAR if you share any knowledge on using named pipes in Delphi. Esp. if you used it with JayArmaLib. :yay:

CURRENT STATE OF AAR DEVELOPMENT

RECORDING MODE

At that moment I managed to create a satisfactory replay recording to an external file.

New application on i0n0s Delphi sources now waits for Arma2 to send "RECORD READY" ( called by radio Alpha) command and then starts dumping everything which the game send to a local file.

The file is created always new and filename is of the current date and time (unique) e.g. "20100806_125627.txt".

When you call radio Bravo the game sends "STOP" and the application saves the file and stops recording.

what's done in brief

• record is started ingame
  • external app saves all unit data to local file
  • filename of replay always unique
  • record is stopped ingame

todo

• two pipes : server-client and client-server
  • add eventhandler on fire\kill
  • grab cursortarget to replay
  • grab animation
  • detect unit side and type ( human, vehicle)
  • record time of script start, not mission start (have no idea how)
  • create global hotkeys for record\playback contorls
  • send list of all current units to be recorded ( for recreation in playback)

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

(For Russian speakers) По-руÑÑки обÑуждаем здеÑÑŒ

RECORDING MODE

At that moment I managed to create a satisfactory replay recording to an external file.

New application on i0n0s Delphi sources now waits for Arma2 to send "RECORD READY" ( called by radio Alpha) command and then starts dumping everything which the game send to a local file.

The file is created always new and filename is of the current date and time (unique) e.g. "20100806_125627.txt".

When you call radio Bravo the game sends "STOP" and the application saves the file and stops recording.

what's done in brief

todo

• grab animation
  • record time of script start, not mission start (have no idea how)

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

(For Russian speakers) По-руÑÑки обÑуждаем здеÑÑŒ

Hey zvukoper,

Just wanted to say keep up the good work! Am following closely with your work and hope it comes to pass. Will be awesome to finally have an AAR module for Arma2/OA.

what's done

• (new) two pipes : server-client and client-server
  • (new) grab animation
  • (new) record time of script start, not mission start

todo

• (new) create a demo showing smooth playback of recorded data over 5 minutes with 10+ units.

what's done

• grab animation
  • record time of script start, not mission start
  • (new) Core user interface with working operational logics, responses and all the buttons, checkboxes, log console, a status line and a playlist.
  • (new) Global variables are setup, main working modes created: Playback mode, Record mode, Initial state, Offline.
  • (new) One toggling button to start\stop AAR, simple controls: PLAY button, STOP button, RECORD button. Simplicity and
    effectiveness :) Use AAR as your favourite media player :)

todo

• (primary task) create a demo showing smooth playback of recorded data over 5 minutes with 10+ units.
  • (new) Record replays to "\replays" subfolder.
  • (new) Scan "\replays" subfolder and add all *.aar replays to application playlist.
  • (new) Scan folder (refresh playlist) button and autoscan after recording.
  • (new) Choose replay.aar in playlist, hit PLAY; OR Doubleclick the .aar in playlist and ... - enjoy the show
  • (new) Active mode button is lowered graphically
  • (new) Timestamps in console.
  • (new) Localization file for translation based on "lang\English.ini" file. (Scan lang folder for installed languages Russian.ini, French.ini etc.)
  • (new) Right click menu to switch languages.
  • (new) stringtable.xml for ingame localization

Current UI

aarui1.jpg?id=LuuzhsK41&key=AH0qf5yrqFeDdipv-kgvGIx9YO7xUYkpHw

Wow! Fast progress mate. Impressive indeed. Will it be possible to view the action from all entities within after the game?

Thanks! =)

You mean to spectate or watch from a unit's "first person view"?

Well, atm the only way is to create your player unit, launch mission, activate AAR and run among the recorded units. You can spawn a heli or any vehicle in editor, launch replay and all action will be recreated inside the current launched mission, irrespective of what's happening there) And you just choose how to watch it.

Of course I plan to implement some free cam spectating. Later I will try to make a feature to click on a unit on the map and choose "Player's camera" and watch it all from the units first person view. May be I also create a list of all units to click-select and spectate.

But it's for the future. And this is way more difficult for me than my current tasks. I'm not very good at such level of scripting and hope community will help develop all the rest if I fail.

Cool! Now what about this then ..... As you are watching in AAR you decide to play on from then! Possible? And from ANY unit :)

Wow, brave idea))) As far as every unit will be recreated from scratch , I mean it will createVehicle for every unit in the replay's unitlist, all these units will be useless disabled dummies if replay stops.

At this moment there's no recreation, no unit list. I record my crurrent mission and play the replay ON THE ACTUAL UNITS. It also moves and animates ME as a player an a unit)))) So after replay is stopped or finished, at any moment all units are left in the last position and are operable and playable... your unit also stays enabled for action.

You gave me an idea of bypassing recreation of dummy units. Make it an option. But you will need the initial mission with every unit in replay present and alive on the map. Then you launch replay, stop where you need and continue action... Hmmm... some new save system for arma2?)))))))

I'm full of good ideas, just not talented to be able to script an elegant solution!

Keep up the good work mate, and if you need any help please just ask!

I would prefer to have the AAR to analyst the play-styles,teamworks,kills and comms. during game rather than taking over and play.

If possible...since I too am an idiot in scripting...

1. To have something such as SNKman's GL4 realtime debug features implemented so we know what are the AI's doing if the game is played against AI. By doing that at least we know what are AI's response and the player's response to counter/react.

2. To label each player's model with it's tag on it's model to know who is who and where they are...

Just my 2 cents. :)

Muahaha

1. I didn't plan any advanced AI actions debugging, but You will be able at any time see what's AI doing. You can look at the map and there you'll see for example that your unit fires machinegun at AI''s position, and AI then spreads out or one starts firing while others retreat. Thus you can know "what are the AI's doing if the game is played against AI" and "know what are AI's response and the player's response to counter/react".

In fact, my personal interest in AAR is to know these things too! And also this will give ability to know what your TEAMMATES do, and how do they react to situation. This knowledge will significally boost your teamwork experience. My squad need it badly.. it's not about my not trusting them, but it's for a subtle and detailed debrief and tactics analysis.

2. Of course! My aim is to make replay as informative as possible. Tag players' names, bots' variables if no names, tag vehicles. Make this all color coded. Make every action, fire, hit, kill obvious by colours etc.

Nice 2 cents))

Concerning comms... I think I don't know any way for arma2 to record chat and radio, so I think the communications will not be in replay. May be someone tells how to capture all the radio chatter, then I'll try.

Muahaha

1. I didn't plan any advanced AI actions debugging, but You will be able at any time see what's AI doing. You can look at the map and there you'll see for example that your unit fires machinegun at AI''s position, and AI then spreads out or one starts firing while others retreat. Thus you can know "what are the AI's doing if the game is played against AI" and "know what are AI's response and the player's response to counter/react".

In fact, my personal interest in AAR is to know these things too! And also this will give ability to know what your TEAMMATES do, and how do they react to situation. This knowledge will significally boost your teamwork experience. My squad need it badly.. it's not about my not trusting them, but it's for a subtle and detailed debrief and tactics analysis.

Ah Yes, I understand your point, my thoughts were on "things unseen" such as AI's combat mode (Aware, Danger,etc) and to know which AI request for reinforcements or calling in more Arty strikes...

Thanks and very much anticipating your works!:yay::yay: