Sign in to follow this  
maruk

ARMA 2 OA: Post Process Settings Decoded

I find that running 500m VD and all MaxPP at night with NV and heavy Fog with Gamma&Brightness on 0/off you have your own Halloween show!.....

Hi everyone,

I follow this topic and i would like to be sure to understand a point: what is this "eyesight"?

I have an idea about the question but i don't find it disturbing. Can someone post a pic to illustrate the problem pls?

And Bloom is about the light, right?

Edited by Giuppo

Well I had PP turned to very low, cuz I thought it just made my screen look fuzzy - but after reading that normal gives you depth of field, I set brightness to .8 and gamma to 1, and PP=3.

Not bad. I might be able to get used to it, as the DOF makes for a more realistic scene.

Nice job on 1.56 btw BIS.

Hi everyone,

I follow this topic and i would like to be sure to understand a point: what is this "eyesight"?

I have an idea about the question but i don't find it disturbing. Can someone post a pic to illustrate the problem pls?

And Bloom is about the light, right?

Eye sight is the center of the screen, where your eyes are concentrating at. Bloom is the bright parts of items when they're reflecting light such as sun.

Eye sight is the center of the screen, where your eyes are concentrating at. Bloom is the bright parts of items when they're reflecting light such as sun.

Thank you Primarch. It is well what i was thinking.

• Disabled: color corrections only
  • Very Low: Disabled + filmGrain + radial blur + dynamic blur
  • Low: Very low + bloom + rotational blur + other scripted post process effects
  • Normal: Low + DOF + lowest SSAO
  • High: Normal + medium SSAO
  • VeryHigh: Normal + highest SSAO

Please note that this setting is not directly equivalent to that of Arma 2.

Also, disabled - low primarily allows you to customize game appearance, Normal - Very High is heavily affecting performance but SSAO quality is the only difference.

So why can't you just add another drop-down menu in the gfx options ingame?

Keep the old (equivalent ) settings from arma2 for blur and pp and add another option for the ambient occlusion low-medium-high..?

Would that be a difficult thing? I have no clue, i'm just asking you..

All i know is that pp wasn't decreasing the fps in vanilla arma2 and thats because there was no ambient occlusion implemented.

So what i don't get is: Why didn't you separate these two things?

All i know is that pp wasn't decreasing the fps in vanilla arma2 and that's because there was no ambient occlusion implemented.

So what i don't get is: Why didn't you separate these two things?

I agree. The highest PP setting cost me nothing in Arma2 but to get the same quality PP in OA I have to take a 5fps hit. As far as I can see there is no direct equivalent setting in terms of performance and image quality for OA, compared to Arma2.

Basically you cant get DOF any more without SSAO, which cost too much Performance.

At the very least I wish we could customize the post processing settings in the ArmA2.cfg file. Motion blur+SSAO without bloom and radial blur would be great.

At the very least I wish we could customize the post processing settings in the ArmA2.cfg file. Motion blur+SSAO without bloom and radial blur would be great.
Yeah, +1. :)

So Maruk , can you give a statement about that? As you can see, the majority of people would like to have that kind of option.

So i ask again and i hope you guys cover my back:

We just want to know , whether it's hard to separate these 2 effects and make an option for it in gfx menu or not.

Just say something regarding this and we accept that, otherwise this thread will become a neverending story and again 100 people say "i'd like to have....why don't you...blabla"

I just feel like walking in the dark without any clue and i'm always afraid about asking these things.

I would appreciate an answer :o

Yeah-hopefully, there will be a new status report by the devs about this.

In my eyes it's really one of the things that needs some improvement//possibilities to adjust the different effects more specific (in the way Fruity_Rudy and -=seany=- described it).

Also for me, there's a noticeable difference in performance between the old PPs and the new ones without getting better visual quality in the equal ratio.

Blur should have it's own menu item, it ruins my FPS but I love the other PP's

Please give us a sub-menu for selecting specific effects or if you dont have time for that make them changeable by config. ;)

I cant imagine someone actually does like the full screen blur that is there on every setting higher then low. :(

I'd like to see bloom effect on bright and shiny surfaces only - steel, glass. Sky doesn't have such bloom effect in real life, so I'd like to remove it from sky.

I like the bloom on lenses etc for realism, but the depth of field blur at edges annoys.. i'd like to have a TINY bit encircling the edges, only the EDGES of our RECTANGULAR or SQUARE monitors.. as our eyes see ROUND/OVAL CIRCLES! So the blurring/depth of field in REALITY is occuring in areas NOT seen on a rectangular monitor - mostly..

So for realism , the only the four corners of the monitor would have a small blur to them, in an oval shape (just imagine an 'eye' shaped monitor, then put blur as a border, then superimpose a smaller rectangle inside, and you see how only the edges of the rectangle would have blur in them.

Sorry about this, not sure if this helps, but I have spent most of my life thinking of ways to further enhance military/human simulations to more accurately reflect human conditions - as well as further interfaces we might possibly use.

I can't WAIT for the augmented reality version of Arma!!

I cannot stand the blur either, it makes me sick...literally. I turned off PP effects in game and in Nvidia control panel under ArmA2 & OA program settings put Ambient Occlusion to Quality.

...So we have to get along with it..

In the Meanwhile you can vote for it @ CIT. Here is the link for it.

Although it doesn't handle the exact problem we're discussing about, at least it describes the main problem of this setting.

Thanks Willa. Just replied to the ticket with this:

Please give us seperate options for that. When looking at the feedback from thread "ARMA 2 OA: Post Process Settings Decoded" you see most people are not happy with the blur:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101040

Conclusion:

Almost everybody will have his post processing option set to disabled, very low or low because of this full screen blur that makes the game look consolized (like small resulotion being upscaled = blury = loss of details).

What for you made high detail models, textures and nice effects like bloom or SSAO if almost no one is using it because of the blur that the higher post processing options come with?

Is it to much work to give us the possiblity to turn it off?

Well I have them set to very low and I'm good with that - but I agree that they are more nice to watch in ingame movies or stuff but they are not really important and realistic I dunno about that...:j:

What he said.

Well, what I do is to disable post processing and enable just SSAO through the NvidiaInspector tool. It has about 4 levels of quality settings. In another note, If you have the latest Nvidia drivers you might see a SSAO entry in the Nvidia control panel that was absent in previous drivers.

is setting Post Process to off or at least lowest could make the graphic itself better and will increase the FPS as well ?

Yes, some people think that disabling or putting post processing to lower settings is much better looking without all that unnatural bloom, HDR, blur, etc. The only thing that really looks good in my view is SSAO.

Edited by Lorca