Sign in to follow this  
maruk

ARMA 2 OA: Post Process Settings Decoded

Why not a tickbox or a drop-down list for all of the effects? (Besides HDR)

Edit: My bad. I missed Maruk's post.

Bloom + DoF has always made arms2 look like I had been swimming in chlorine for hours. Being able to disable those would be amazing, yet keeping other settings (namely ssao)

have you tried this mod? http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97853 You can remove the bloom effect with it but still keep the PP effects. I don't really care for it myself, it shows in reality some sure but rarely, even on a white metal shed I didn't see it but I guess it's there to simulate blinding, problem is it needs to be a bit more material specific.

And DOF..I don't understand that one myself unless you have bad eyesight.

On subject of this has anyone tried the nobloom mod for A2 in OA yet?

Edited by NodUnit

And DOF..I don't understand that one myself unless you have bad eyesight.

Sit 50cm from your screen. Hold your finger 10cm in front of your face and focus on your finger. Can you read the screen while focusing on your finger? No? That's DOF.

If you can: You are superman, congratulations and be careful not to accidentally shoot anyone with your lasereyes on your way out.

Sit 50cm from your screen. Hold your finger 10cm in front of your face and focus on your finger. Can you read the screen while focusing on your finger? No? That's DOF.

If you can: You are superman, congratulations and be careful not to accidentally shoot anyone with your lasereyes on your way out.

I don't mean as a focusing effect, when looking off into the distance or nearby treelines it shows.

Anything above Normal pretty much kills my performance, likely due to the SSAO, which, while looking decent, does not add a whole lot more to the game. Basically just adds some additional ambient shadowing to grass and such.

I think I am using Low or Very Low at the moment. I like some of the blur/bloom effects but it gets somewhat overdone the higher you go.

can we have ssao without the blur and bloom? plz

Another vote for this.

SSAO (and the other graphical effects on PP='high') doesn't seem to give me much of a performance hit at all, since it puts strain on the graphics card much more than the CPU. However, I will never use it while I am forced to combine it with rotational blur.

It would be much better that Oktane does not have to spend his time keeping up with beta patches again this time around... .

Best results for my Rig on OA Benchmark (-/+4 fps minor lower/higher settings)

-cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

Q9550@3.6 GhZ (FSB 425)

HD 5870 1GB (10.4 Preview)

4GB Ram

Asus Xonar D1 Audio Card

Windows 7 x64

1680*1050 (100% 3D)

VD=3000

Texture Detail=Very High

VidMemory=Default

Anisotropic Filter=Very High

Antialiasing=High

Terrain Detail=Normal

Objects Detail=High

Shadow Detail=Very High

Post Process=Very Low (could crank it to Very High without Fps lost)

Mods Activated=JTD+GL4

So far,it runs pretty Fluid

(almost forgot,audio samples are @128)

aaaaarghhh,2nd edit.i forgot to tell the average FPS.....its 48 FPS

Edited by Wiley -GER-

Hey your system is almost identical to mine..and it's providing the same sort of results too.

Always a good sign, like you I could turn up the post processing to max without issue. But don't want to.

Another vote for this.

SSAO (and the other graphical effects on PP='high') doesn't seem to give me much of a performance hit at all, since it puts strain on the graphics card much more than the CPU. However, I will never use it while I am forced to combine it with rotational blur.

It would be much better that Oktane does not have to spend his time keeping up with beta patches again this time around... .

This.

I'd love to play with all the effects on. I discovered Oktanes mod yesterday....For over a year now I had been thinking how shit looking ARMA 2's explosions were...(Like really shit..worse than ArmA 1's) Imagine my surprise when over a year later I discovered they had just been switched off the whole time along with heat hazes and all sorts of other little gems.

Today however I installed the expansion and this fine mod no longer works. Boo.

It just seems like such a counter intuative way of setting up the SFX. Blur is used to compensate for lower powered systems with poor frame rates.

Blur settings should be on for the lowest settings and off completely for the highest and not the other way round!!!.

I'd love to see those blur FX when I am being bombed by artillery or rocked by handgrenades or even taking lead!...but walking?

It's like my guy is a Ketamine freak.

Edited by Baff1

At the moment I am using Normal because it is as close to how Very High PP looked in Arma2. I like the blur, it softens the scene and at the moment I cant use AA even on Low because it costs 15fps.

While PP on Normal in OA looks like VeryHigh in A2, it takes more FPS which is annoying. I don't see the point in SSAO, plus the High and Very high options take so much FPS its not worth thinking about.

I would just like the very high PP option from Arma2 back.

One other very annoying point Just like Arma2: when I set PP to Normal, exit the game and come back I have to go to options and set PP to low then to Normal to get all the effects back. It is still resetting! Please fix this bug!

Is the SSAO the reason why, with all post-processing switched off or to low (because it murders my framerate), I get inch-wide gradients on sunrise/sets and other major lighting shifts? Or is this yet another 'ARMA2 not compatible with ATI' issue that needs to be resolved? Anyone else noticed this? Looks bloody awful.

Is the SSAO the reason why, with all post-processing switched off or to low (because it murders my framerate), I get inch-wide gradients on sunrise/sets and other major lighting shifts? Or is this yet another 'ARMA2 not compatible with ATI' issue that needs to be resolved? Anyone else noticed this? Looks bloody awful.

might be worth a shot to make some screenshots for comparsion

and put it into CIT (Community Isssue Tracker) ... so it can be further examined and discussed

thanks

I like the blur, it softens the scene

Please fix this bug!

First part: 'Soften the scene', the blur that most people dislike (at low FPS mostly) is the blur when you move the gun or view in first person. It doesn't soften/blur anything when you aren't moving the view. Just mentioning that because you may have it confused with another shader which adds a small smoothing AA-like effect to the screen no matter the movement.

Second: If it hasn't been reported already, please make a CIT ticket for it, that's where things get fixed! :)

Post process tab:

Radiant Blur y/n

Motion Blur y/n

Film Grain y/n

Bloom y/n

Color Correction y/n

SSAO Low/medium/High

Environmental effects y/n

Depth of field y/n

HDR Precision 8/16/32

HDR Intensity 0.5-2.0

I hope one day (soon hopefully) BIS will use this method I HATE the combined effects, its a hefty performance hit.

Edited by Flash Thunder
Fixed HDR options as well as stated by Dwarden :)

Post process tab:

Radiant Blur y/n

Motion Blur y/n

Film Grain y/n

Bloom y/n

Color Correction y/n

SSAO Low/medium/High

Depth of field y/n

HDR Precision 8/16/32

HDR Intensity 0.5-2.0

I hope one day (soon hopefully) BIS will use this method I HATE the combined effects, its a hefty performance hit.

I hope for that as well.

Edited by Dwarden
fixed HDR options :)

Post process tab:

Radiant Blur y/n

Motion Blur y/n

Film Grain y/n

Bloom y/n

Color Correction y/n

SSAO Low/medium/High

Depth of field y/n

HDR Precision 8/16/32

HDR Intensity 0.5-2.0

Me too...

SSAO doesn't seem to add much but kills the fps and I want DoF effect in NORMAL mode

[*]Very Low: Disabled + filmGrain + radial blur + dynamic blur

I found that in ARMA2 the film grain module hit performance really hard and I often ended up with a 10-20%fps loss, I didn't really notice any difference in the effects either...

also +1 to Flash Thunder's suggestion.

Guys.. mee-toos, in most cases, mean nothing in the forum. There is an issue tracker, BIS has repeatedly mentioned that it considers the highest voted feature requests. See here, and vote:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/3718

Note that ticket says 'bloom and blur' but read it as 'provide separate options' like Flash Thunder suggested and Maruk hinted at.

VOTE

Guys.. mee-toos, in most cases, mean nothing in the forum. There is an issue tracker, BIS has repeatedly mentioned that it considers the highest voted feature requests. See here, and vote:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/3718

Note that ticket says 'bloom and blur' but read it as 'provide separate options' like Flash Thunder suggested and Maruk hinted at.

VOTE

I voted :)

Racism is not tolerated on these forums, you're now permanently banned.

Give us some screenies with all various PP modes (from off to v. high) ;)

Our regional distributor has <beep>ed up, and we are forced to buy OA in England or Germany...

I know that some stuff is only visible while on the move, but still it maybe worth picturing :P

Really as you go up in detail (in terms of static screenshots, anyway) the only thing you will notice is that everything gets slightly more blurry and as SSAO is added, grass seems to darken a bit as it has new ambient shadowing effects. That's really the only thing I've noticed while looking at a static screen.

Moving, however, you'll see a lot more difference in terms of HDR and motion blur.

That said, I too would like to see seperate options for PP effects, so we could pick and choose what we like and maximize performance as well.