Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

[Betatest] GBU-43/B "MOAB"

This is a beta test. The provided version is not meant to be used as some features and balancing are subject of changes.

GBU-43/B aka "Mother of all bombs"

The subject of this public beta is to get some feedback about the functions and the destruction radius.

When testing it and providing feedback, please be as objective as possible although i also like to hear your general opinions.

General functions:

The GBU-43/b is not loaded like other weapons usually are. Instead you'll find the bomb itself under "empty -> GLT -MOAB" as editorplaceable object. This is also how it's meant to be used.

This way also auto-restricts the amount of usable MOAB's since there is no auto-rearming like with usual vehicle weapons.

So place the GBU-43/B on a airfield, place a C-130J nearby. Step up to the bomb and you should get a action menu to load the bomb into the plane.

Once loaded, the C-130J will have a "Unload GB-43/B" action for the case you change your mind.

Loading a GBU-43/B will disable cargo space and vice versa, if someone is in cargo space, you can't load the bomb.

Although the real GBU-43/B is GPS-guided, this version here is laserguided. If you can provide a proper working target selecting and guidance system, be my guest. Until then you have to live with the non-realistic laser guidance.

Further Instructions:

- dropping the bomb will remove the weapon from the C-130J. This is intentional so default rearm will not work.

- bombs on the ground are as explosive as the dropped weapon. I know that real weapons are secured to reduce the risk of uncontrolled detonation but i guess this will add a interesting element: if you know the enemy has such a bomb, try to find it and destroy it in the enemy base.

- You can allow other planes to carry/drop the bomb. Just add this in the GBU-43/B initline:

this setVariable ["MOABPlanes", ["CLASSNAME1", "CLASSNAME2"]];

The C-130J will remain capable of loading it, those planes defined are just added.

- Total destruction zone is 200m around impact point. Dammage zone is from 200m to 400m around impact point. Recommended safety distance: 500m.

Known issues:

- There is no proper particle effect for the detonation. Will be in the final.

- There is no detonation sound yet when destroyed on the ground. Also WIP.

Video from destruction radius test:

36b7eOWM-ns

DOWNLOAD GBU-43/B Beta:

http://senduit.com/50822c

So I take it all of that dust is a result of the buildings collapsing. NICE.

However, it does look a little slow. Did you slow the video down at all?

@b00ce

it isn't as fast as a shockwave would be but this is intentional as "realtime" would probably kill your PC. :D

Also note that there isn't just a simple setdammage 1 for all objects. Instead to 200m distance to impact point it is 100% destruction, between 200m and 400m it is linear reduced dammage applied.

Sadly, sometimes i have to adapt things to keep it playable.

:NOTE:

Just found out that in this version is a bug, although you might not notice it: outside the 100% destruction zone, dammage is set to an absolute value, not incremental to already existing dammage. So a vehicle with dammage 0.8 could suddenly be near repaired if it is in the outermost danger zone.

Already have fixed it but i guess this is not worth a new download. Just you know that this issue is already addressed.

tested it, the destruction doesn't really match the particle effect.. im using warfx though.

you should only be able to load it if the ramp is down,

and it should take some time to load,

all worked well for me. as for destruction, it seems it would be balanced for multiplayer as long as it is hard to acquire.

Edited by Fox '09

tested it, the destruction doesn't really match the particle effect.. im using warfx though..

As i wrote in the opening post, particle effects is not included yet.

you should only be able to load it if the ramp is down,

afaik in vanilla ArmA 2 you can't open the ramp by default. Also people maybe want to use other planes instead of the C-130J which might not have opening ramps.

i'm curious, could you make "the real shockwave speed" video?

@Gedis

be aware that this what you see in the vid is not the real shockwave. It is dust and debris from the buildings collapsing. It is planned to have a shockwave effect which (hopefully) comes near to real shockwave speed. Although "destruction wave" will be slower, since it has a major impact on performance. The script has some breaks to give some breath to the system.

To answer your question: no i can't. Making it as fast as in real, it would lag the PC as much down so i would end up with a even more stuttering slowmotion vid.

You see, there is no point in it.

@Imutep

sorry, my bad. Should have written not to mirror this version as it is really unfinished and i just need some feedback mainly about balancing.

I'll leave it up to you if you want to remove it or keep an eye on it and update it as soon i can release the final. I hope to do so before the senduit link expires.

Really appreciate it, don't get me wrong. Your decision how you would like to handle it.

The video is a little too dusty. If I remember correctly, they use fuel air explosive, and it blow up with a huge fireball.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

So, the blast radius in real life is 137 metres....Are you going to make the blast radius a little accurate?

The video is a little too dusty. If I remember correctly, they use fuel air explosive, and it blow up with a huge fireball.

Well, i thought i had make it clear: there is actually no proper particle effect for the detonation! What you see is the dust and debris from the destroyed buildings!

A proper (more or less) detonation effect is planned but not implemented yet. So stop complaining/discussing about the visuals. What i want to know are the far more important playability issues, if there are any.

Is the destruction radius ok? Not too big and not too small? Forget about real values for a moment. It should be balanced between restrictions and effect.

Does the handling work? Besides the particle effect, everything else is implemented. Test this and report, please.

Ah( not seen this super "MOAB" yesterday :( Power bomb is good balanced :icon14:

Here my mini video Arma2 OA + "MOAB" :)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKots9puOc&hl=ru_RU&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKots9puOc&hl=ru_RU&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Is that in OA by default or is that Myke's addon in OA? Either way I am looking to toying with that thing. A bit kinder than a nuke, but good enough for your heavy demolition needs.

Regarding the doors of the BIS C-130J, I thought that they did have an open/close animation, just that it is not included as an action by default.

It's my addon in OA.

And yes, the C-130J has a open/close anim but i fear to hardcode it into my addon as it could cause unforseen problems with other addons/non-BIS stuff.

As always, i do not fear the problems that i can think of, i fear those i don't think of. :D

Well, i thought i had make it clear: there is actually no proper particle effect for the detonation! What you see is the dust and debris from the destroyed buildings!

A proper (more or less) detonation effect is planned but not implemented yet. So stop complaining/discussing about the visuals. What i want to know are the far more important playability issues, if there are any.

Is the destruction radius ok? Not too big and not too small? Forget about real values for a moment. It should be balanced between restrictions and effect.

Does the handling work? Besides the particle effect, everything else is implemented. Test this and report, please.

I'm really sorry, I didn't read the previous posts so I didn't know.........:(

It seems to work brilliantly atm.. wouldnt ming a bigger blast radius though.. How big is it atm? Any plans for daisy cutters?

@ray243

it's ok, my reaction was to harsh, please forgive me.

@wolfbite

in the version that you have, the full destruction radius is 200 meter, damage radius is 400 meter.

In the final, it will be randomized so full destruction radius will be between 150-200 meters and damage radius between 300-400 meters. This is still enough to completely flatten Lopatino, NW corner of Chernarus. ;)

One thing i've got fixed aswell, now also trees and fences and other structures gets destroyed/flattened.

Can't wait for this to get a proper release. I want a massive MOAB shockwave fireball in my OA. :D

Can't wait for this to get a proper release. I want a massive MOAB shockwave fireball in my OA. :D

Adding final goodies and wait to receive a decent detonation particle effect.

HINT: if the MOAB looks dammaged, better perform a system check and do a repair if needed, else you risk uncontrolled explosion while handling (loading) it. ;)

You're "waiting to receive" a particle effect? So somebody else is making it for you then? This combined with a working SCUD would be awesome!

You're "waiting to receive" a particle effect? So somebody else is making it for you then? This combined with a working SCUD would be awesome!

Aye, "someone else" is doing it. When it is done you'll know who did it. Why should i bother to try and deliver a crappy effect when i can ask someone who is familiar with particles? :D

Please when you update it make it so I don't have to redo the Domination I made with it.

It makes a great side mission reward and fits in much better than the AC130. (love the AC130 but its turns out to be an AO killer in the end)