Sign in to follow this  
subliminalss

CPBO Windows 7 proper FIX

I have seen allot of issues regarding CPBO not working for people with vista and 7. especially if you install CPBO it works reinstall arma and it wont work again. (For me at least).

I’ve seen allot of fixes like using different tools etc and all don’t fix the problem just work around it.

1. First download a file association remover i.e. unassoc 1.4

link ; Here softpedia

2.Remove the file association with .pbo

then delete the .pbo file from your system.

Now all .pbo will be completely unrecognisable

3.Now go to your cpbo tool that you’ve downloaded and run the application AS ADMINISTRATOR, (right click; run as administrator)

this will now re-write all .pbo associations to CPBO.

now you can right click on a .pbo and extract etc and click on regular files and create pbos, also you can double click on pbos without arma 2 launching.

Hope that helps anyone who was stuck and hadn’t found a solution before.

• Like 1

I was with you until you said

then delete the .pbo file from your system.

Now all .pbo will be completely unrecognisable

you want us to delete .pbo files?

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Oh, I see, you mean in the association remover application, click the 'delete file type' button.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Bah, didn't work though. Went through those steps as you describe, but double clicking on a pbo does as it did before. The cpbo window shows very briefly, but doesn't unpack the file.

I posted my failures in that thread back in April. :)

do a registry search for pbo, remove entries, then reinstall cpbo. Voilà

• Like 1

delete the file type with the unaccos tool not not the association worked for me (win 7 64bit ultimate).

Thanks, this helped me too.

I just used the regedit procedure... deleted all references to ".pbo" - (dotPBO) - rebooted - installed cpbo as administrator - rebooted again = back to normal

PS - theres a new version of cpbo out... HERE

B

Hi Bushlurker

Bushie, it's not a new version, it's a year old version and exactly the same as the version I already had.

Not only that, it still won't work with OA content. Eliteness and PBOview do work though.

Armaholic picked up the post and made it a news item without checking - a rare dropped ball by Foxy and his cubs.

Kind regards Tanky

I can't even get CPBO to work in either of the two Windows XP installations I have on my PC.

I had it working on one XP install but then moved on to a new XP install on a new hard drive. This one never worked and it seems to have something to do with Arma 2 as the messages I get from it reference Arma 2.

I did everything mentioned in this thread, clear out registry and delete association but it still does not work. At some point, I re-hooked up my old XP install and now it does not work either.

I think I tried the manual command to do an extract and I don't think it worked (not sure). When I need to extract a .pbo I actually have to do it on my PC at work - that one works!!

Just noticed a new version posted over at Armaholic - may give that a try.

Edited by DesertJedi

I don't think we can blame Foxhound on this one...

According to Keg's website this tools package was updated on and is tagged with 29/06/2010 - Tuesday this week! - and the enclosed cpbo carries the same date...

Dunno if it works with OA content as yet, but it does seem to be a new version...

@DesertJedi... I guess you've already tried everything, but I found the "reboot" bits to be important... regedit out references to .pbo - REBOOT - reinstall cpbo - REBOOT - working OK....

I had it fail to work once or twice when I didn't do the reboot parts - I had the right-click context options, but not the "doubleclick to extract" one...

No doubt I'll be doing all this again at OA time - right now I've just recovered from the 1.07 patch! ;)

B

But Bushie, does it work with OA PBOs? I'm told they have a new compression cpbo can't handle. I'm going to check....

Edited by Tankbuster

Quick update on this...

I've just struggled thru the Steam downloading process... haven't tried OA yet, but I HAVE had most of the models an buildings apart already ;)... Kegs june 2010-dated cpbo seems to be unpacking fine - so far...

B

Warning

Somehow either due to that older .reg file (for removing PBO references) or me manually removing .pbo references using Regedit ...... my Buldozer doesnt work anymore ! :(

Error: Shaders not valid (mismatch of exe and data)

Looks like I may have to re-install tools.

Armaholic picked up the post and made it a news item without checking - a rare dropped ball by Foxy and his cubs.

I did check it, and if you do it too you will see files have been changed as well as dates on Kegety's website.

Nope, indeed I am not installing every little file we inform the community about to see if there are any issues with it, we trust an author knows what he is releasing.

Kind regards Foxy

[edit]

Even the version numbers of the included programs were changed.........just so you know.

Edited by Guest

I did check it, and if you do it too you will see files have been changed as well as dates on Kegety's website.

Nope, indeed I am not installing every little file we inform the community about to see if there are any issues with it, we trust an author knows what he is releasing.

Kind regards Foxy

[edit]

Even the version numbers of the included programs were changed.........just so you know.

I see that now. :) My apologies.

cpbo not working here with OA.pbo's as of 07/07/2010 release at kegety's site.

Getting this error...

pboEx: Unknown block in header! aborting
Failed!