Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Can anyone get it to rain with OA? i loaded up Takistan and Chernarus set the weather to rain/thunder and while it gets cloudy it never rains... ??
I had to turn on PostProcessing at least on low to see rain. :)

I had to turn on PostProcessing at least on low to see rain. :)

Yep, that worked... guess i'll have to keep that setting on then. :(

There was a promo video where BIS was showing off the interface improvements. Anyone know which one I'm talking about perchance?

Well, I have just spent an age mucking about in the editor, looking at the new vehicles, testing settings and looking at the maps etc. I want to say a big thanks to BIS for some amazing work. Sure I think that we will need some more performance tweaking/testing which is a bit disappointing and also a couple of other problems fixed, but that is for another thread and right now I want to give props! :D

The buildings are really exceptional in their look, atmosphere and design, they are on another level compared to A2. Some of them I must have spent 10 minutes just walking around inside them (Blue/white fine tiled mosque). The fact that so many of them are enterable is fantastic.

FLIR: I knew it would be kick ass, but it still didn't stop me from being amazed at how well it works. I let off a load of rounds in an Bradley then got in another one and had a look at it with the FLIR. The gun barrel alone was white hot :cool:.

Vehicles: Great to finally have M2A2 class of vehicles back. The AN2 and Chinook look really nice and have excellent interiors. Speaking of interiors, the ones that have been fully modelled are really something else. The BTR60 for example, If you haven't seen inside this yet, have a look. Its a work of art!

There is still much more for me to see, so I feel I have gotten my money's worth. I also used Sprocket to purchase and I am very pleased that I did, works like a charm, unintrusive and simple. If anyone has any reservations using it, don't. I am really sceptical of such services and their third party "tools". But Sprocket is the best I have used yet. Sod the retail stores; Game, GameStop et al :aa: ;)

I just had a look at the multiplayer lobby too and it seems there are quite a lot of people playing which is great to see.

Thanks again for a great expansion!

Great to hear -=seany=-! Agreed on the Gamestop comment!

I had to turn on PostProcessing at least on low to see rain.
Yep, that worked... guess i'll have to keep that setting on then. :(

Ouch, i hope thats fixed soon...

Edited by Sniper Pilot
I have a friend named Paraiso lol

Have only played OA for a few hours really impressed so far. Alot of small details that add alot to the game Great Job !!! BI

Ouch, i hope thats fixed soon...

...I hope they consider it a bug and it's not meant to be that way.

We really need tick boxes so we have control over which PP features we want.

Especially rotational blur.

I love the game but there are some details that can be improved in the future.

The grass look a little bit better in ARMA2 and the FPS could be a little better in the big town.

Overall im happy with the game :)

I spotted the performance is a little low compared to ARMA2.

but they did say I think they have not implemented any of the stuff they did in ARMA2 so we have a big performance boost coming our way i believe :)

...so we have a big performance boost coming our way i believe :)

Propably not.

I`m loving the simple support module. I can now have constant supply of air strikes, arty, troops, ammo etc at my fingertips.

I am having a blast filling takistan with enemy units, and seeing how much devastation I can achieve.:D

Propably not.

This is quoting Jpinard

"All in all, for a new release the game is in pretty good shape and no doubt when it's upgraded to match A2 v1.07, adds LMA & x64 we'll be flying

I'l keep this up-to-date, and if the bold red text (below) is diffcult to read let me know and I'll change it."

so lets hope it does get updated to ARMA2 speeds :) cus since the patch 1.07 I seem to get a bit more performance.

This is quoting Jpinard

"All in all, for a new release the game is in pretty good shape and no doubt when it's upgraded to match A2 v1.07, adds LMA & x64 we'll be flying

I'l keep this up-to-date, and if the bold red text (below) is diffcult to read let me know and I'll change it."

so lets hope it does get updated to ARMA2 speeds :) cus since the patch 1.07 I seem to get a bit more performance.

Edit: Nvm

I'm sure we will see the patch any day now!

Edited by Sniper Pilot
I was wrong.

I was going to say...

The beta patch has greatly improved my performance. It's fantastic.

I was going to say...

The beta patch has greatly improved my performance. It's fantastic.

That is great news would you say its on par with ARMA2 speeds now?.

I suppose I could just try it im a little bit hesitant to start the campaign at the moment as im sure there will be an official patch that helps with the performance but wont be back compatible with old saves hehehe ummmm what to do...................

Any ways great addon/game im realy loving ARMA and BIS

It's great, nice improvement from Arma 2 !

Only littlebit disappointed with the OA campaign, it's so short, managed to complete it in one night.

I like the content in OA, the missions and scenarios are kick ass so far my main complaints:

Horrible performance like prepatch Arma 2

Im getting less than 30fps with 100% 3d res and medium high settings in A2 1.05 I could get 35 easily.

SSAO (set on very high Post process)for some reason doesnt really pop out as much as I thought it would maybe I havent played enough...

Lots of stuttering in Zargabad, and LOD thrashing is still very frequent in OA and Arma 2 1.07 hoping for some serious work in this sector in the coming months

Collisions issues with Rocks, In the editor I put my spawn on top of a rock (grey area) and I spawned inside of it.

I might be a graphics whore but too me OA seems pretty underwhelming in this aspect, trees look pretty doll, distant mountain skybox looks pixelated without zooming which is odd, textures on the ground when up high like in arma 2 look pretty muddy.

I got to say though the faces, vehicle interiors, the boots on the US soldiers so much better than in Arma 2, hopefully I wont be bitching when the next RV engine comes out for arma 3. (alot of it because I live in denial and think my graphics card is uber l337 when in reality its as outdated as a vhs player...)

The Future of Arma series needs:

Some better LOD handling

AI driving pathfinding, pathfinding in general improvement

launcher weapon assembly

More graphical settings: seperate post process settings, object draw distance

Collision detection improvements especially in close quarters

Improved streaming, and ram usage in A2 1.07 I still only use 2.5gb ram and im on vista 64bit

Overall OA's content is freaking awesome ran into hardly any bugs, the only thing I wish for is a better frame rate now and some more ram usage, if I get some extra cash I can pick up a new graphics card since OA recommends an ATI Radeon 5770 :eek:

Great Job and Love the missions so far.

8.0/10 :D

Flash, rename your exe to Bioshock2.exe. That got me a lot more FPS. Still not nearly as good as arma 2, but good enough.

I enjoyed OA, but I found myself wishing it was longer, and I was also hoping to see the Czech and German forces appear more in the campaign. I also found myself wishing for more infantry combat. The tank and helicopter scenarios were cool, but the few spec-ops missions present in the campaign were pretty damned cool, and more would be better.

I will slap some spec-ops action together in the editor later. :D

My impression overall:

It was AWESOME, but...

- It felt a little short.

- It left me wishing for more infantry combat within the campaign.

- I was hoping to see more of the UN/Allied forces in the campaign.

However, I have a feeling that BIS still has some content that they will release somewhere down the line. ;)

OH MY Goodness...

I can't believe I got this on video! Not pre-scripted, it just happened while I was trying out my new jet benchmark. With graphic settings on Very High - the fire, smoke, the effects are just stunning in Takistan! You have to watch in the Hi-Def FULL-SCREEN to appreciate how insanely awesome this was.

pHA9pJ-4SgY&hd=1

Edited by jpinard

Was that a missile that went screaming by your head in the first few seconds?

Im loving OA

Had to come here and share my story lol

I was a lone soldier in Ferus Abad, which was covered in republican milita. Anyways im on the south side of the vally in-amongst the buildings. Ive lauched a couple of grenades and then run into this house. So im on the ground floor taking a few pot shots, and get pinned so i head upstairs. Once again i take a few pot shots and move upstairs to get a beter view.

The second floor is made up of an open area, and a conservatorie/balcony area which looks over the rest of the town. So im firing away in this conservatorie/balcony room and then a 50 cal opens up and i decide to move into the other room, just as i move SHUUUUU > > BWCHCHHSHHH A SPG9 hit the house, i look behind me and the whole conservatorie/balcony has gone, but before i could even think the whole world opened up!!. Every small arm had me in thier sights and the room light up with ricochets. Some how i sprint to the stair case with the wall on my right getting hit by a stupid amount of firepower.

Finaly i muster the courage to move out of the staircase and once again, since the first floor's wall was taken out as well, came under heavy fire as i sprinted to the other stair case,

IT was epic!!lol

Was that a missile that went screaming by your head in the first few seconds?

Hi mrbinkels

Yes it was at 14 seconds in!

Thanks jpinard for your excellent video.

OH MY Goodness...

I can't believe I got this on video! Not pre-scripted, it just happened...

I can imagine thinking at 23 seconds as the Flaming Tanker flew over your head "Wow!" Then a few seconds later when your conscious brain caught up "Argh! Argh! That could'a landed on me!" followed by "Its just a game" exactly in time for you getting blown off the roof.

Kind Regards Walker

Edited by walker