Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

...Still, here's looking forward to the patch that removes Securom for good. According to Maruk it will be coming sooner rather than later. ;)

Similar for me - while the installation ran fine from my SATA DVD-RW drive, I could not run it because it timed out every time. But there is no problem with the IDE DVD-ROM drive :hammer:

Regarding performance, I ran ArmA2-Mark with different PostProcess setting, scoring better than ArmA2 with Very Low (>5200), but worse with Low (~4700) and Normal (~4200); set to Low in ArmA2 scores >5000. Leaving it on Low, the ArmA2 Benchmarks in OA (1.52) score slightly lower as well (19 & 39 vs. 21 & 41). The OA Benchmark scores 37, iirc.

Look and feel is overall very nice - so far just played a bit with the Editor and some of the very nice new Tutorial missions. Looking optimistic in the future (even though OA has some serious competition with Beergardens and World Cup...) :D

Edited by WhoCares

Yeah, the first time I tried to start the game it didn't work. I just thought "Noooooez!". :eek:

Fortunately, ejecting and re-inserting the disc fixed that. Hasn't happened again since.

Still, here's looking forward to the patch that removes Securom for good. According to Maruk it will be coming sooner rather than later. ;)

Digital version FTW :D

Anyways i have been hearing people say that if you disable SSOA it will improve performance? Where is this SSOA located? cant find it in the video settings

SSOA is a post-processing effect disabled by putting post processing on "low" (I believe). The potential performance gain depends largely on the shader performance of your graphics card.

Edited by n00b1

SSOA is a post-processing effect disabled by putting post processing on "low" (I believe). The potential performance gain depends largely on the shader performance of your graphics card.

Correct.

For post processing and SSAO, the following is the case:

- PP low or disabled = SSAO off

- PP medium = SSAO low

- PP high = SSAO medium

- PP vhigh = SSAO high

After a few days of playing OA now, here are my initial impressions. :inlove:

I never really liked Chernarus much, so the new scenery is just what I wanted. I'm not too big on trees. I really liked Sahrani, and then CAA1, so this is the biggest plus for me. The new maps just rock.

I like the new SP stuff. I'll give the campaign a shot someday, it's fun so far after the first couple missions. I like the showcase missions a lot too. The town builder for the editor is awesome. I can't tell you how many different times and ways I have destroyed these towns so far.

I love the FLIR. I think the voices seem better (been playing with them off for so long maybe it's just me) and the UI seems a lot more intuitive. The new vehicles, guns, and other weapons are great.

I am looking for some things that bother me, so I don't sound like such a damn fanboy, but I haven't found anything to complain about yet. The price was right ($35 USD through Sprocket), the pre-download went fine, the install went fine. I started it up and had all my content from Arma II without any issues.

As far as performance goes, it seems to be ok so far (without my hours of tweaking which is bound to happen). Although very high on everything is not a reality on my system (first was denial, then came acceptance)... I'm very pleased with the graphics at my settings.

I'm hoping for some good PvP servers to pop up, but to be quite honest, I'm having enough fun with the SP for now.

I would recommend to anyone who enjoys shooting a gun, driving a tank, flying a helicopter, shooting taliban, blowing shit up, flying a jet, driving a truck, etc... I could go on forever.

10/10

Tried multiplayer. 34 player domination mission. Sadly, completely unplayable frame rates. Absolute disaster. Fraps shows 20fps, but it feels like it would be 5fps. It's impossible to walk or aim at something in any town, even smallest ones. My eyes hurts after just 5 min gameplay. I feel dissapointed again. :S

It is really great game, but it's limited to some simple single player missions (those run much much better than arma 2) to me, despite my pc should handle Arma on normal/high settings.

It looks like server is limiting clients fps. And it doesn't look that rendering/drawing would be on seperate thread. There is something terribly wrong with multicore optimisation.

Can anybody actually play at decent frame rates, without stuttering on any server with some AI action going on?

Oh, and lowering graphics settings doesn't improve anything.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I know that OA is not 1.07 yet. But 1.07 didn't fix any performance for Arma 2 on my PC. So I doubt it will for OA.

OA Benchmark: 45 FPS, better than I got in A2.

core 2 duo e8400 OC'd @3.6 ghz

windows 7 64 bit

ATI Radeon HD 4870

Settings Normal (low AA and PP)

view distance 2000

frames seem great in SP, but way more stutter and texture pop in than Chernarus.

Overall, a step back in graphical quality. Chernarus looked great on Normal settings IMO, very realistic.

OA vegetation just does not look real. Combine that with some pretty barren landscape and it does not feel like you are in a real place like I did in Chernarus or even Utes.

Zagarabad had some serious slowdown and looked like crap as I toured it in the Huey.

Desert map is what it is, simply a flat desert, so not much to report there.

Best map is Takistan, which has some good varied terrain.

Overall, happy with frames, but there are some immersion-killing graphics that I hope get smoothed.

Have not tried Multi, but single player content so far is good.

really badly optimized, so that they did not do it that patch 1,07 of arma 2 ? : S

Core i7 920 2.66

crossfire ati 4890

6 gb ram 1600 mhz

catalyst 10-4

patch OA 1.52

OA Patch 1.52 = 20 fps

A2 Patch 1.07 = 50-60 FPS

rfaqo_jLFYs

Edited by Minimalaco

If you are using two video cards try turning the crossfire/SLI feature OFF, I did that with an early Arma2 patch and it strangely enough gave me more frame rates.

really badly optimized, so that they did not do it that patch 1,07 of arma 2 ? : S

Core i7 920 2.66

crossfire ati 4890

6 gb ram 1600 mhz

catalyst 10-4

patch OA 1.52

OA Patch 1.52 = 20 fps

Maybe you should lower your resolution considering your GPU and that your recording with fraps!

But one thing i could see was that i'm not the only one seeing trees and bushes that looks like something from OpF :eek:

Strange on my rig OA is pretty just as smooth as Arma2. PP and shadows off on both though. crossfire 4850 / Core2Duo E8400 3ghz / 4 gb ram 1066mhz

Maybe you should check in the Catalyst control center "updated to 10.6" if your crossfire is activated, and also DL the last ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ Application Profiles which isn't delivered with the driver. Catalyst AI as also to be active if you wanna benefit from your crossfire.

Edited by dunedain

If you are using two video cards try turning the crossfire/SLI feature OFF, I did that with an early Arma2 patch and it strangely enough gave me more frame rates.

mmmm, negative, I finish proving OA with one 4890 and also the low game runs to pulls and fps.

Maybe you should lower your resolution considering your GPU and that your recording with fraps!

But one thing i could see was that i'm not the only one seeing trees and bushes that looks like something from OpF :eek:

arma 2 I enjoy in 1920x1080 everything in very high without problems, even with patch 1,07, arma 2 runs like a pen: p, but OA no, does not run well.

Strange on my rig OA is pretty just as smooth as Arma2. PP and shadows off on both though. crossfire 4850 / Core2Duo E8400 3ghz / 4 gb ram 1066mhz

Maybe you should check in the Catalyst control center "updated to 10.6" if your crossfire is activated, and also DL the last ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ Application Profiles which isn't delivered with the driver. Catalyst AI as also to be active if you wanna benefit from your crossfire.

if, now it will prove catalyst 10-6, he is the only thing that I need to try. but it is rare, since A2 works or, OA also must work or.

1z7OvZwmQxA

Here's a quick video showing the M2A3 Bradley. :)

Core i7 920 2.66

crossfire ati 4890

6 gb ram 1600 mhz

catalyst 10-4

patch OA 1.52

OA Patch 1.52 = 20 fps

[youtue]fao_jLFYs

this because there is no Crossfire profile in AMD.ATI drivers for ARMA2:OA binary

if you have retail or sprocket version of OA try rename game exe to arma2.exe

it should then use Crossfire profile for A2 and might work way better

Edited by Placebo

Core i7 920 2.66

crossfire ati 4890

6 gb ram 1600 mhz

catalyst 10-4

patch OA 1.52

OA Patch 1.52 = 20 fps

Knock down your 3D Resolution, I noticed you had it at 1920x1080, that is always a killer (I know it's probably your native res) and should give you a proper boost.

But he has a point. There has to be a reason OA is so much worse for some people and better for others. My frames improved with OA on identical settings.

I run mostly normal and I got 45 FPS on the benchmark and his system is way better than mine.

Here's a quick video showing the M2A3 Bradley. :)

Thanks for putting that together! I'm looking forward to making some mechanized infantry missions with it!

Well im very impressed with the potential this game has to offer, its extremly good. Alitle more tweaking with the AI (Specially AI in group) movement and it would be great. (Kinda frustrating when Iwe finally learned how to controll my group in ARMA 2 SP\capaigns and now it feels like boheima kinda recoded the whole AI mechanism. Might be the terrain that makes the AI get stuck etc)

Orginal campaign was one of the shortest campagns iwe ever paid for. Though Very good gameplay, but to short.

Im just waiting for the great campaign\mission entustiasts to make some more :)

Keep em comming boheima.

I repeat, graphic arma 2 it game full to 1920x1080 without problems, but bad OA give fps and run to pulls: (.

furthermore, I am not the only one that this having problems with crossfire of ati.

S.A. runs like pen, OA must run equal of good, but lamentably it does not pass that, and nor it devises so that.

this because there is no Crossfire profile in AMD.ATI drivers for ARMA2:OA binary

if you have retail or sprocket version of OA try rename game exe to arma2.exe

it should then use Crossfire profile for A2 and might work way better

i renamed it to arma2.exe and I still don't get nearly as much FPS as ArmA 2 Maxed out even with PP effects disabled.

In the future will BIS work out these FPS problems and will ATI/Nvidia create Crossfire and SLI Profiles for OA anytime soon!? I think that's what is causing my game to run so bad.

Little benchmark:

ArmA 2-

Chernarus

Resolution- 2048X1152

3D Res- 133%

AA- Normal

Terrain-Normal

PP Effects- Very High

Shadows-High

Objects- High

Textures- Very High

VD-2509

Average FPS= 45-55 FPS

OA-

Takistan-

Resolution- 2048X1152

3D Res- 100%

AA- Off

PP Effects- Normal

-All other settings same as ArmA 2-

Average FPS= 17-28 FPS.

*If I disable PP effects average FPS is around 28-35.

**Also note that I ran Arma 2 with all Catalyst Control Center settings set to highest possible, for OA I turned them all to the lowest possible. :(

So what the hell is wrong!? :confused:

Edited by Enad

I made the unloading by steam, if change to arma2 .exe, does not let to me load the game: (

Is the campaign only 4 missions?