Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

I love AO

I made a mission earlyer, where two CH-47 (each with two groups onboard) drop the troops in a rural vally that is packed with Taliban Republican milita.

Now for some reason the the first CH-47 (alpha squad) landed further up the vally than us and immediately came under heavy fire. We (Delta squad) landed south of the other LZ and quickly sercured the our LZ. All we could here was the full on battle at the other LZ and from the sounds of things Alpha squad were getting hit HARD. Now in the editor i told both the CH-47 to return to the airstrip, But when Alpha's Chinook went down the, Our Chinook thought "FUCK THAT AHHH" and sprayed the enemy fireing points with all guns blazing.

As Deltas Chinook few around in fury, Delta squad got there arses into gear and pushed up north to try and support Alpha, and there was a huge feeling of urgancy to get to thier position. We moved with speed up the vally, only encountering small milta groups that were delt with easily. We finaly pased the wreck of the other Chinook and followed the route alpha squad had taken. From the sounds of the less frequent SCAR fire there wern't many left. They needed support.

I loved it a mission made in 10min gave me a real sence of achievement and meaning lol There really was a sence of "WE have to get there or they were gonas"

Brilliant game. Other Games have to spend years on creating campains/missions that really bring the player in, and have them feel real emersion, fear, anxiety, purpose.

Edited by SteveJA360

And talking about sales, check out which games OA is beating in the current Steam top sellers list. ;)

[im]http://zipper5.armaholic.eu/pictures/OA_steam_sales.jpg[/img]

It's currently the 5th top seller, after MW2 Resurgence Pack (>_>), Monkey Island, Bad Company 2 and Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

I must say it's pretty cool to see OA selling more than both MW2 itself and the MW2 Stimulus Package. :D

Being honest, OA above MW2, being OA a new game from the past week and MW2 having what... 8 months already? is not that great.

And right now the no 1 seller is ... surprise!, the MW2 dlc map pack.

Edited by Placebo

And talking about sales, check out which games OA is beating in the current Steam top sellers list. ;)

http://zipper5.armaholic.eu/pictures/OA_steam_sales.jpg

It's currently the 5th top seller, after MW2 Resurgence Pack (>_>), Monkey Island, Bad Company 2 and Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

I must say it's pretty cool to see OA selling more than both MW2 itself and the MW2 Stimulus Package. :D

It's not that surprising considering all those games are pretty old. In contrary - I played demo of Sniper Ghost Warrior and it's incredibly shitty budget game.

Here's my impression of ArmA2:OA:

"Hi. I'm ArmA2:OA. Turns out, I'm the best game ever made."

Thanks. Bye.

haha brilliant

I love AO

I made a mission earlyer, where two CH-47 (each with two groups onboard) drop the troops in a rural vally that is packed with Taliban Republican milita.

Now for some reason the the first CH-47 (alpha squad) landed further up the vally than us and immediately came under heavy fire. We (Delta squad) landed south of the other LZ and quickly sercured the our LZ. All we could here was the full on battle at the other LZ and from the sounds of things Alpha squad were getting hit HARD. Now in the editor i told both the CH-47 to return to the airstrip, But when Alpha's Chinook went down the, Our Chinook thought "FUCK THAT AHHH" and sprayed the enemy fireing points with all guns blazing.

As Deltas Chinook few around in fury, Delta squad got there arses into gear and pushed up north to try and support Alpha, and there was a huge feeling of urgancy to get to thier position. We moved with speed up the vally, only encountering small milta groups that were delt with easily. We finaly pased the wreck of the other Chinook and followed the route alpha squad had taken. From the sounds of the less frequent SCAR fire there wern't many left. They needed support.

I loved it a mission made in 10min gave me a real sence of achievement and meaning lol There really was a sence of "WE have to get there or they were gonas"

Brilliant game. Other Games have to spend years on creating campains/missions that really bring the player in, and have them feel real emersion, fear, anxiety, purpose.

That is a sick story! Thanks for sharing, it got me pumped!

Being honest, OA above MW2, being OA a new game from the past week and MW2 having what... 8 months already? is not that great.

:confused: I thought the chart was based on how many total copies sold in its entire lifetime... Though now that i think about it, it probably a bit too optimistic to think that ALREADY OA surpassed the total sales of MW2.

In contrary - I played demo of Sniper Ghost Warrior and it's incredibly shitty budget game.

Yes, it's made by City Interactive. However, the reason it's selling so much is the advertising for it made it look quite cool. I'd imagine there's a lot of hate now at how bad it is.

Those games might be old, like MW2, but it's not like MW2 isn't selling like crazy still. :rolleyes:

OA will never surpass MW2 sales :D Never ever, and by a fair margin... like 10 orders of magnitude :)

Ehhh... I dunno. It could be possible on the PC, it's impossible on consoles.

Ehhh... I dunno. It could be possible on the PC, it's impossible on consoles.

Maybe, not necessarily..OFP:E was on the xbox and it contained the new specular shaders, high ground and infantry textures, normal maps, the editor, islands and their size more populated infact.. everything OFP had except the ability to use setpos.

It would just be a major PITA to code.

Well I got my copy finaly today, installed patched and defragged and had a run through with it so ...

There isn't much I dislike, graphically its superb, all the features including clock system and command/radio voices (whisper on stealth!) are FAR better that any other version. It just "feels" right now, with both directional awareness and the radio voices not being so annoying. I like the distance of enemy calls as well.

All the main features this brings are top notch, I even ran through the tutorial (clearly didn't need to on most of it) the tutorial really sets it up as to how more polished this thing is, very good job BIS.

Had a go at some scenarios and no campaign "yet". Instantly I could see the FPS stutter and could narrow it clearly down to houses in OA for me. AI and houses = FPS woes. I plopped myself and 4 members (no one else) into zargabad ... well, everything seems ok until I pressed space bar for context menu. As soon as I did that it drops 10 fps and goes into 20 and just under... hmmmm. Seems to me the buildings an AI in this game even when your "about" to command them takes a hit. Very odd.

I need to play around more and got a fairly ok sweet spot. My CPU is getting old now, but the houses are my enemy ranging from max 20 fps, average 25 and dipping to 18. Desert and a few houses = 28 - 32 or so, and night time is great anyway. I tried many settings but when the AI/houses moments arrive I cant seem to shake the FPS dip.

That isnt a complaint, I wished it wasn't as much as a hit as id hoped, but CPU upgrade/mobo would do that justice for me. All in all and expecting FPS with my rig at 19.99 this is so much worthy of the price.

Im VERY happy with this. Love the new radar system and flying feels so much nicer now even when using the mouse to move.

Cant wait for new patches, wishing for a few FPS shaved off with houses (but that's just a wish). Im quite happy to keep in open areas and small villages and small teams which I do most of the time anyway.

9/10 from me on all counts, oh and the shake from bullet hit and explosions/grenade throw changes are superb.

My only gripe really is sound, subjective, im fussy, some nice things in .. but reaching for the soundmods as I type :)

Love it BIS, job well done!

EDIT: It felt like installing Ghost Recon Desert Seige all over again ... warm and fuzzy feeling abound :)

Edited by mrcash2009

...I even ran through the tutorial (clearly didn't need to on most of it) the tutorial really sets it up as to how more polished this thing is, very good job BIS.

I'm glad you mentioned that. The tutorial is MUCH better than any previous version. It moved right along and everything seemed to work as it should (for the parts I went through at least.) I remember thinking how well put together it was so I wanted to validate your point and give kudos to the tutorial designers and say job well done!

Had a play for a few hours and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the results. It feels like they brought back some of the old OFP details and finally added some of the VBS things that people have been drooling about for years. I like that they implemented a lot of what ACE addon introduced into the game (but its probably just VBS2 features). I love the "zeroing" on the scoped rifles and tanks, the FLIR, NV sights, thermal sights, lasers were looong overdue but it looks extremely good. I liked that the backpack system finally made it into the game.

Also the it good to see the good ol' T55 and the SCUD to be back. I like the diversity of Allied forces in this game, all we need is some NAVY SEALs and we would have all US special forces in the game. The weapon/vehicle selection is huge and its good to see the revolver and the various handguns back. Arma 2/OA is so diverse now out of the box it almost makes no sense to create new addons, I hope mission makers take advantage of this diversity and make some pretty interesting missions.

The desert theme just looks awesome, it was blurry at first but after adjusting the 3d resolution to my monitor resolution everything looked great. For some reason I like it better then Chernarus. Its still very hard on the system, but it will have to do for me until i get something better then a quadcore.

The campaign sucked balls, the acting was even worse then the original. It didn't really show off all the game features really well. BUT the scenarios were great, not original yet they felt refreshing and very enjoyable. I didn't buy this game for the campaign, as I know the community will make better ones, well it will be impossible to create a worse campaign then the OA

Rocks are buggy as HELL hope they get fixed, I ran past one wit 2 metre's clearance n got injured by it!

Also I WISH they would hurry up n replace the placeholder sounds on the A-10 Gau n other high velocity mg's really well extremely disappointing sounds on them apart from that game is fantastic.

Rocks are buggy as HELL hope they get fixed, I ran past one wit 2 metre's clearance n got injured by it!

Also I WISH they would hurry up n replace the placeholder sounds on the A-10 Gau n other high velocity mg's really well extremely disappointing sounds on them apart from that game is fantastic.

Agreed on the sounds- Although they are unfortunatley not placeholders :/. That's one of the more lacking areas of A2 and OA that is quickly fixed with a soundmod.

Maybe BI should hire one these sound modders, given the rescourses of BIS, I can only imagine what kind of a masterpiece that would come of that!

Epic moment right now, im trapped on top of a building in Imatar (I believe its called) and Im badly wounded, I also got 2 patrols of takistan militia after my ass, one of them just tried to climb up the ladder to finnish me off! :eek:

Luckily I had an m9 berretta left and I picked him off while he was climbing up this is SO INTENSE RIGHT NOW

BIS you guys are GODS!

Just need better preformance right now and I would cream my khakis!

I only purchased arma2 a couple of weeks ago, really love the editor more than anything else, besides from all the bugs it was worth the el cheapo price i payed for it.

I was looking forward to OA thinking and given some issues with A2 that OA would be massively better regarding bugs. Sadly it's not in this regard. I hope they can fix these soon otherwise i won't bother buying another game from them. I'm not some die-hard gamer so this is my reason but i'm sure those fans who idolise A2OA will always be there.

I just wish most bugs can be fixed as i can live with one or two and that my pc could run this game at optimal settings because its the best eye candy out there.

I just wish most bugs can be fixed as i can live with one or two and that my pc could run this game at optimal settings because its the best eye candy out there.

Well hopefully with all the money BIS is going to make off A2 and OA they should hire more engine programmers.

I just got off due to the horrible stuttering im getting with OA also only getting 10fps hardly playable this isnt nearly maxed by the way.

I wish BIS would really crack down on their engines LOD handling make it smoother and better, like trees not looking like 2d flat smears of waterpaint at 50 meters, things like animated oil drills being rendered at distances like 10km thats kind of a waste. Also LAA and more memory usage, better rendering efficiency etc.

And after that BIS you can give us some better sounds for explosions and vehicles with this new sound engine of yours. :)

PS: ill pay for a gore model in the game too BIG MONEY!

Sound engine needs a bit of tweaking. right now there is still no "punch" when i fire a shot. it needs to make my ears bleed or make me "jump" whenether i hear a loud shot.

ACE does it for us already and there is an even better sound mod in the works that adds echo/reverb to it!

OA has got the actual sound accuracy spot on. just needs to be louder and more punchy and include echo and reverb on it.

:confused: I thought the chart was based on how many total copies sold in its entire lifetime... Though now that i think about it, it probably a bit too optimistic to think that ALREADY OA surpassed the total sales of MW2.

The chart is for the present week (the last 7 days, i think), and also it's not by number of sales, but revenue done (so it's different a cheap game with tons of sales than a expensive game with moderates sales).

Granted the voice acting isn't great. In fact, I am annoyed at the fact that there are still British accented Czechs (according to the credits :eek: ) doing fake American voices for the campaign. However, I don't know how expensive professional voice acting is (and I doubt you do either, unless you can prove you do) but I'd much rather see the money spent elsewhere in the game. Oh, and despite the nostalgia we all have from OFP, the voice acting wasn't that great. It was good, served it's purpose just like these do for the most part, but wasn't great. BIS also had the financial backing of Codemasters back then, and we all got a taste at how the big name, mainstream gaming corporations like to f*ck over their developers (and then f*ck themselves over ;)

Yeah, the voice acting is pretty terrible alright. The tanker in the second mission has the weirdest accent, it sounds like an Eastern European trying to do a subtle American accent and failing miserably.

Could be worse, the voice acting of "Coops" in ArmA 2 made me cringe every time he opened his mouth.

Could be worse, the voice acting of "Coops" in ArmA 2 made me cringe every time he opened his mouth.

The same voice actor voices Terry Graves in OA. He's in many of BIS' (and even Black Element's) games. His voice is probably the most bearable of the current voice actors. :p

Ooh i do hate these OA threads, it makes me feel bad about not having it!

Can someone post some more screens of OA's weapons and effects, i wanna see how they look now :)

Check out the photography thread. You'll see a lot of the new weapons and effects. They rock. :D

I felt this way in Arma 2, the guy just sounded like a complete ass, but sadly in OA I use his voice for my character since I dont want my guy saying (Fire in the hoe)! :p

and the first VO that you can choose in the player editor..... *Double Facepalm*

About the sounds I would actually like to hear an explosion when I shot the cannon on the apache etc, its either missing or barely noticable, all I hear is a firing sound then I see a small thing of smoke. :confused:

In DR you will hear this loud crack and Boom and maybe a shriek from sratnel.

Some of the explosions still dont have very good spatial sounds, and alot of the explosions still have a static sound to them (i dont know how to word it, just doesnt sound very good in general).

HIFI with this new sound engine would be whats the word im looking for

Nice....