Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

From the little I've seen from night fighting and dusk dawn hours, it actually made me cry. It was just sooooooo beautiful. Can't say I'm ecstatic about the barren landscape (I'm gonna miss grass, lol), but the tactical options it presents (compared to Chernarus) borders to the extreme. The distance fighting seems to have a better purpose, and when you actually do get up close and personal, you'll likely to find your enemy in hiding rather than just laying dead. Landscape job well done... Extremely well done. Some "ready to use defensive lines" at certain locations (north west iirc), will surely be put to good use by mission designers to come. Can't wait to get some tactical Huey formation flying going in the valleys :) The scope variations (in how they function) was awesomeness at its greatest.

From the little I've seen from night fighting and dusk dawn hours, it actually made me cry. It was just sooooooo beautiful. Can't say I'm ecstatic about the barren landscape (I'm gonna miss grass, lol), but the tactical options it presents (compared to Chernarus) borders to the extreme. The distance fighting seems to have a better purpose, and when you actually do get up close and personal, you'll likely to find your enemy in hiding rather than just laying dead. Landscape job well done... Extremely well done. Some "ready to use defensive lines" at certain locations (north west iirc), will surely be put to good use by mission designers to come. Can't wait to get some tactical Huey formation flying going in the valleys :) The scope variations (in how they function) was awesomeness at its greatest.

^

This

After finished the scenarios i joined a MP domi server last night. I almost cried too when saw a dusk in the airport. :)

Very impressed with this release, has to be said.

My total faith in BIS restored. never lost the faith really ;)

Long live B.I.S

Messing with CCC- settings can affect performance heavily, too.

Best set them to default with Catalyst- AI on high.

Runs like a charm for me: same settings (yes, even pp on very high) and same performance like ArmA2.

I7 920 stock

HD 5850

Win 7 64

I don't want to get technical, but you mean AI on standard right?

Running advanced AI showed no appreciable difference for me.

once again Crossfire will run bad because there is no profile in drivers to detect OA binary, in my other post somewhere on this forum i posted possible workaround using NTFS symlinks ...

Actually a work around to this.. Is rename the Arma2oa.exe to Arma2.exe

Friend of mine did this and started getting 50-60 fps in zargabad

I don't want to get technical, but you mean AI on standard right?

Running advanced AI showed no appreciable difference for me.

Sry, no I meant advanced, felt slightly smoother for me.

oh, and btw. I´m using command- line- parameter "-cpucount=4" again ´til next patch.

I'm able to get my FPS way higher, but it feels less smooth AND every minute or so it has to FLUSH itself, 'RECEIVING...' because it drains free video memory. I go from 50fps to 1FPS in a mather of seconds without doing anything, just because the video memory goes way down, even if I won't do anything.

I believe I got CF working but somehow the crossfire-logo didn't appear, but both cores are 99% active, renamed to arma2.exe

what's the difference between simply renaming and the NTFS thingie?

once again Crossfire will run bad because there is no profile in drivers to detect OA binary, in my other post somewhere on this forum i posted possible workaround using NTFS symlinks ...

Really pleased so far, performance is better and I can run Arrowhead with higher graphics settings too! I love the Islands and content, Im not sure if thats just because everything looks so much better with higher settings applied :D

ErrorHead Rules :whoo:yay:

[YOUTUBE]tPi6AerBT6w[YOUTUBE]

Errorhead? I didnt see any errors, The AI surprisingly did everything as expected! I was especialy surprised how well the HUMMV driver turned around in that intersection at the very end! :) :thumbsup:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EMNAXzbTo&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EMNAXzbTo&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Just a short vid, please see the description so you can understand why I got owned so badly! =D

Gameplay footage of Laser Show for those interested in seeing PEQ lasers in action:

defT0ucUbFs

A nice if a little underrated feature now is that vehicles with multiple "linked" weapons for instance the AH6 or Shilka/ZU23 now fire from more then one barrel at the same time in comparsion to standard ArmA 2 where you needed a 3rd party addon/script to do it

Don't know if this is new but I never noticed before.You can slow crawl and fast crawl by DBL clicking W.

EDIT<<<anyone stumble upon the marijuana field?

Edited by Wolfstriked

Well after playing with this masterpiece for a few days now, my official impression is 'This Rocks!" The AI have me doing drills and slicing the pie as if good 'ole Sgt. Apone was right behind me saying 'Check those corners! CHECK THOSE CORNERS! UHHH HUUNH! Absolutely BADASS!" lol. Been snap shot by AI covering their sectors more often than I want to admit.

BIS, the playability and interface is a definite improvement, no complaints, just please keep moving in this direction, it's a good one.

Missions, training, and campaign have polish on them, missions and campaign are a bit short, training is about perfect. I agree with others on the storylines- make the characters a bit deeper, less the attitude of a killing machine, and more the feeling of a human put in a position of this as their job. A bit of the old OFP:R back story and uncertainty would go a long way. No need to sensationalize the personality of combat, the content and interplay of the combat itself is sweet.

The playability is back on par with OFP, I can now rely on my instincts again to sneak around. Before it felt like a gamble whether someone would catch me sneaking around or not, like a roll of the RND generator for the possibility of detection. Now I feel far more confident in judging my movements as sneaky or obvious.

One minor complaint: You have all these awesome motion captures in the library, but there was a civilian woman who sounded scared, but made no physical reaction. Seemed very zombielike. Could you please, in future expansions/patches tie in the states of units/characters to the appropriate animations? When I saw that the life got sucked out of the previously well done immersion.

My current rating of OA: 8.8.

Not a bad start at all. ;)

Don't know if this is new but I never noticed before.You can slow crawl and fast crawl by DBL clicking W.

EDIT<<<anyone stumble upon the marijuana field?

Not really new. Basically you can slow crawl by toggling the 'walk' function while prone, that way you can go from slow to fast crawl and vise versa. It does wonders when sneaking up on people in PvP.

[quote=Fox '09;1665398

love the new post processing and faces.. :)

What graphic settings are you using to generate those pictures in your original post? Your AA looks a bt cleaner than mine and I think we have identical hardware.

Edited by jpinard

Exactly, and Enad, you probably have FADE still activated thanks to your earlier pirate-sponsored vacation. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I never Pirated OA. I bought from Sprocket but Placebo decided to suspend me because I got an error message trying to run it.

I don't have FADE activated, my copy is totally legitimate. I don't pirate games. :hmmm:

@CannousCrash- I even tried renaming it to arma2.exe and didnt get much of an FPS boost.

I still find it weird that I can place 4+ Town Modules and Ambient Civilians and get smoother performance than just placing 3 units down. :confused:

Anyways, all I can do is hope BIS/ATI works out this no Crossfire Profile thing and gets OA supported so I can actually play. :(

Yeah, I never Pirated OA. I bought from Sprocket but Placebo decided to suspend me because I got an error message trying to run it.

I don't have FADE activated, my copy is totally legitimate. I don't pirate games.

Ok Baghdad Bob! (while this is not the place to discuss it) You posted at least one screenshot and reported having preformance issues before the game was even unlocked on Sprocket! -Hence my FADE comment.

Source: THIS VERY thread! Dated 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM etc before the game wasn't even released or unlocked!**

Anyone else getting CRAP FPS at lower settings than what you ran ArmA 2 at?

I would get like 45-60 FPS on ArmA 2. With OA, at lower settings its mid 20's through mid 30's. :(

Kinda disappointing!

The new faces are insane! They all look great.

But FPS is sadly alot worse than ArmA 2. So much for FPS improvments! :(

http://s3.postimage.org/yCl5J.jpg

@usmc123- Yeah FPS is alot worse than ArmA 2. Even on Takistan. It seemed smoother on Chernarus.

**Only a select few in Germany had OA at that point

I just dont want you giving others the wrong idea, FALSE facts, AND the wrong impressions.

But I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt! lol And mods ill leave it at that! (Sorry I had to point it out)

Edited by Sniper Pilot
/facepalm Baghdad Bob stlye.

I have one big impression

I'm amazed at how well Helo's fly in Takistan. The terrain is wicked and I've yet to see an AI chopper run into the ground. Nice work BIS!

In my experience, choppers never ran into the ground in Cherna... they ran into the trees (especially on steep hills).

No trees, no crash...

In my experience, choppers never ran into the ground in Cherna... they ran into the trees (especially on steep hills).

No trees, no crash...

Just from the videos i have seen, OA choppers fly a little differently, any one care to confirm?

Just from the videos i have seen, OA choppers fly a little differently, any one care to confirm?

I tired flying all the choppers last night, but for some reason, some of them are locked in the "showcase" missions. They seem to be about the same to me from the ones I've flown ... If maybe a little "easier" to fly (perhaps the controls are slightly less sensitive than in Arma 2, but that's just an imrpession, don't know that for sure).

So far, I've flown

Apache

Blackhawk

Huey.

I tried to get into the Chinook, but it wouldn't let me, as well as a number of others, such as the little bird.

I guess I'll have to try them in the editor.